Thread: 14-year-old to sail solo

Thanks

Default 14-year-old to sail solo

14-year-old to sail solo

Posted on July 29, 2010 Written by Elizabeth Ellis

Just when it appeared that the brouhaha over teenage solo circumnavigators might die down, a Dutch court earlier this week cleared the way for a 14-year-old girl to head offshore alone.

Laura Dekker, who lives in the Netherlands, was granted permission by the courts to depart on her round-the-world journey, which she hopes to do over the course of two years, finishing in September 2012, when she turns 17. The decision comes shortly after the attempt by 16-year-old U.S. sailor Abby Sunderland to become the youngest solo circumnavigator was cut short by her dismasting in the Indian Ocean in June. Dekker says she can be ready to sail in about two weeks, according to news reports.

Not surprisingly, reaction from the sailing community has been less than enthusiastic.

"I think sending a 14-year-old daughter - as a father of three daughters - is completely irresponsible," US Sailing president and noted sailing commentator Gary Jobson says. "She can't possibly have the experience to do this. We've learned from Abby Sunderland that lots of things can happen."

Dekker is thrilled about the chance. "I'm so happy, just really, really happy," the young sailor said at a press conference held at her marina shortly after the court decision. "I didn't know what would happen next, but now it's all over."

Although Dekker's mother originally opposed the voyage, she has also given her blessing for the trip. Dekker's parents are separated.

Dekker has been working toward this goal for more than a year. At 13, the girl who was born at sea on her parents' boat declared that she wanted to sail the world alone. Concerns about her age prompted Dutch child protection authorities to go to court to stop the voyage. The court placed Dekker under a guardianship order, which it lifted this week. Dutch authorities had hoped to place her under supervision for another year, which would have delayed the circumnavigation.

Dekker has been nothing if not headstrong in her desire to set off alone around the world. Last December, after the initial court decision, she ran away to the Caribbean, where she planned to buy a boat, according to news reports. She was discovered and sent home.

Dekker sails a 38-foot Jeanneau Gin Fizz ketch that she has named Guppy.
    Dekker's father, an experienced sailor, says his daughter's journey is no more dangerous than life in the Netherlands.

"If she rides her bike to school, that is probably more dangerous," he told reporters.

U.S. solo sailor Brad Van Liew says he's glad the decision has reverted from the courts to the parents, but he's uneasy about the notion of 14-year-olds tackling the Southern Ocean alone.

"I wouldn't be letting my kid do this at 14 years old," says Van Liew, who has an 8-year-old daughter and is preparing to enter a solo around-the-world race in October. "It's good they've decided to let the decision be up to the family. And the family might be making a pretty scary decision.

But I don't know Laura Dekker. I don't know her maturity level or her experience. I don't know her motivations or her personality. ... I just hope she's going into this with wide-open eyes."

Click here for a BBC video report on Dekker.
    Click here for a tour of Abby Sunderland's boat.
    Click here for a report on Sunderland's rescue.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Default Re: 14-year-old to sail solo

Good for Laura.

I’m positive she and her parents are qualified to make the decision.

The lessons she’ll learn that will carry her through the rest of her life are invaluable.

Fuck Richard Bakker and The Board of Child Protection. When they show me they are experienced sailors and know the risks Laura and her parents accepted, then maybe I’ll listen to them.

Thanks

I personally would have told my 14 year old children "NO". Emphatically.

None of them were ready. Then again, I was 6 when I got my first BB gun, and 8 when I got a .22.

My own children though, weren't ready for anything like that at 14. Sixteen was as soon as bought guns for any of them, and even then, it was only one of them. My daughters weren't interested then either so it was only one son.

On the other hand.. the posts on that site piss me off royally. "Not enough strength" my ass. Worse, "we need to make a law"!

god.

no we don't need a LAW. no more laws
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

"I'm so happy, just really, really happy,"

Of course you are. It's all about YOU isn't it. You want to do this so to hell with education, YOU get to indulge yourself...until you're plucked out of a capsized vessel 500 miles from the nearest atoll.

Who indulges these fantasies for these kids? I can't imagine.

Furthermore, why does a Dutch court have anything to do with this? Child endangerment? Hopefully she steers clear of pirate waters or she's going to find herself bent over the railing getting ass raped by a bunch of filthy muslim pirates who feed her corpse to the sharks.

This is like that little girl who flew across the US at 7...WHOOPS, nose dived into someone's house. Stop indulging these CHILDREN!

Had I gotten everything I wanted at 14, I'd probably have herpes, chlamydia, syphilis, genital warts, gonorrhea and an exhausted prostate.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Had I gotten everything I wanted at 14, I'd probably have herpes, chlamydia, syphilis, genital warts, gonorrhea and an exhausted prostate.
    So... I take it you're voting AGAINST letting her go?

LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

This is funnier than the three stooges here. Backstop is all "GO FOR IT". Mal is like "Put a chastity belt on her and stick her ass in skool" and I'm somewhere in the middle.....

I'm tryin' to think, but nothin's happenin'!
    Libertatem Prius!

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    That gets my vote for funniest post of the day.

Had me laughing.

Thanks

I was nearly on the floor when I read it. LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post

Thread Information