Thread: The Boss Is Back: Iconic Ford Mustang Reborn

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The Boss Is Back: Iconic Ford Mustang Reborn

The Boss Is Back: Iconic Ford Mustang Reborn

August 17, 2010

Soon to be thundering down an open road near you is the resurrected Ford Mustang Boss 302.

Based on the 5.0-liter Mustang GT, the 2012 version of the muscle-car classic was revealed on Friday at Laguna Seca, where Parnelli Jones won the 1970 Trans-Am season opener in a Boss 302.

The new Mustang builds on the iconic Bosses famous for their looks and performance in the late '60s and early '70s. But Ford is quick to point out the new Boss 302 is more than a trip down memory lane. The 5.0-liter V8 is upgraded to 440 hp--an increase of 28 hp over the version in the GT, thanks to a new intake and revised camshafts. With engine tuning to maximize rpm, the torque rating for the Boss engine is 380 lb-ft, down 10 lb-ft from the GT version.

The engine is paired with a close-ratio six-speed manual gearbox. Top speed is 155 mph. This Boss 302 is the first non-SVT model to pull more than 1 g of lateral acceleration. On road courses, the Boss is said to better the GT's lap times by two seconds.

The Boss 302 is dressed with sinister looks to match its performance capabilities, and designers attempted to craft the spiritual successor to the 1969 car. There is a unique fascia and grille and a lower front splitter that's similar to what's used on the 302R racer. The splitter cuts down on underbody drag and front-end lift. There also are blocked-off fog-lamp openings. The appearance is set off by a black or white roof panel to match the side stripe, and the body comes in striking shades of orange, blue, white, yellow and, of course, racing red.

"Boss is a hallowed word around here, and we couldn't put that name on a new Mustang until we were sure everything was in place to make this car a worthy successor," Mustang chief engineer Dave Pericak said in a statement. "We were either going to do it right or not do it at all--no one on the team was going to let Boss become a sticker-and-wheel package."

Inside is an Alcantara suede Boss steering wheel, a dark instrument panel, a cue-ball shifter and optional Recaro seats borrowed from the GT500.

In addition to the appearance, Ford engineers paid special attention to the sound of the Boss, and the V8 will emit a throaty roar through a quad exhaust system. Sound discs were added to tone down the growl, but they can be removed.

The Boss 302 is also enhanced with a list of performance upgrades to the steering and chassis. It's lowered 11 millimeters front and 1 millimeter rear compared with the GT and gets adjustable shocks and struts. There also are stiffer suspension bushings, high-rate springs and a larger rear stabilizer bar. The Boss rolls on black 19-inch alloy racing wheels wrapped in Pirelli PZero rubber. The braking distance is reduced from the conventional car with four-piston Brembo calipers in front and enhanced pad compounds rear.

And if all of this isn't enough, Ford will also offer a limited-edition Boss 302 Laguna Seca model with a stiffer body, firmer chassis and racing aero package.

Thanks

Default Re: The Boss Is Back: Iconic Ford Mustang Reborn

My first car was a 61? Ford Falcon 4 door. It was totaled when a fella ran a stop sign and broadsided it. It was at that second I learned about defenseive driving.

My second car was a 65 Mustang convertable. Inline 6 until the motor mounts gave up. My Dad found a 289 Hypo, which he showed me how to rebuild, from the bottom up. THAT was one sweet ride! I drove it for several years.

My third car was a 68 Mustang 2X2 Fastback. It seems like it had a 351 Cleveland. Black with red interior. Another sweet ride.

My fourth car was a 66 Mustang. I ended up selling it to purchase an airconditioner for wife #1. In hindsight I should have traded her for the ac and kept the Mustang. Oh well, live and learn.

I have to say that the Ford Mustang was one of the best handling/running cars I ever drove. I would love to have one of the new Boss 302's.

Thanks for the flashbacks Ryan!
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

My first car was a '63 Impala 4dr, 283 powerslide. I have very fond memories of this car. My second was a '64 Fairlane 2dr, 260 auto. Boat anchor, one of 2 most hated cars I've owned(the other was a VW variant wagon, should have been detached from the boat in very deep, murky water). Then, along came my '69 Mach I, 351 hypo windsor. Still miss her! Since then I've had the pleasure of owning 2 more Mustangs, '66s, one inline 6, 200 auto with 13 inch tires and getting nearly 30 to the gallon, and one a 289 4 bbl . Both met untimely ends and deserved better. I have since had the pleasure of owning an '85 RX7, which was a hoot, a '69 GT6, my second favorite ride, and 2 240sx's, which is my favorite ride ever. Small, nimble, more than powerful enough for me, and CHEAP to drive and maintain. I loved my Triumph, I love sport cars in general, but they nicknamed Sir John Lucas, the guy credited with the charging systems in British Leyland cars, the Prince of Darkness for a reason, I assure you. I'm way too long in the tooth for push starting these days, and driving in the dark has lost its appeal as well. The 240sx starts every time and can actually support a viable a/c system, and I still love gear-grabbing from time to time.

Thanks

I owned a 1968 Mustang Coupe with a 289. The body was rotten. I took the engine out, rebuilt it, and then built it and put it into a 1980 Ford Fairmont.

Ran 11.70s at 122mph on the bottle.

Didnt look like much, ran like a mofo.

Last edited by Malsua; September 14th, 2010 at 22:38.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha! I love a good sleeper!

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thread Information