Default Willful Media Ignorance

Is going to destroy us. Here's an example of what I mean:

http://www.wishtv.com/dpps/news/stra...me-jgr_3285638
    Arrested man had 1,600 knives in home

Cache of weapons was discovered over the weekend

Updated: Tuesday, 23 Mar 2010, 9:24 AM EDT
    Published : Tuesday, 23 Mar 2010, 7:31 AM EDT

• DON BABWIN, Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO (AP) - Investigators searching the home of a man arrested last week after allegedly trying to bring four knives into a downtown Chicago court building found 1,600 more knives and other weapons as well as a list of court workers -- some with bull's eyes next to their names, authorities said Monday.

At a news conference, Sheriff Tom Dart and federal officials stood in front of a large table with dozens of different kinds of knives, some with blades 12 inches long, others made of hard plastic that could slip through a metal detector. There were also brass knuckles, retractable police batons and five handguns.

"What you have in front of you here today is pretty frightening," said Dart, who said federal and county authorities have been monitoring Kevin Long for more than two years as a "potential threat to the judiciary and individuals in the courthouse."

The cache was discovered over the weekend, days after Long -- a convicted felon paroled from prison in November -- was arrested after he tried to enter the downtown Chicago court building with four hunting knives in a briefcase.

Long, 48, was initially charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon. Dart's office later added another 47 counts of the same charge because the items included 11 switchblades, 25 expandable police batons, 10 brass knuckles -- all illegal in Illinois -- and a working handgun, which a felon is prohibited from possessing. Dart said more charges might be added.

Long is being held in county jail. He is being represented by the county's public defender's office, which didn't immediately return a call for comment.
    Authorities said it remains unclear what, if anything, Long was planning. They say don't know why he listed the names of sheriff's deputies and Chicago police officers or why he was in the building, saying he had no known pending cases.

Nor do they know how Long got his hands on $45,000 worth of knives -- all of which appeared brand new, with many still in boxes -- or what he intended to do with them.

"We don't know if he was doing some kind of surveillance on our security, to see if he could get the knives in, see how far he could push it," said John O'Malley, a chief deputy U.S. marshal in Chicago.

In fact, Long has been a frequent visitor to both federal and county court facilities and was once arrested on a criminal trespassing charge after he was found in a judge's chambers, Dart said. Federal authorities said he was found so many times in areas of the downtown federal building where he wasn't allowed that he was banned.

Long's most recent felony conviction was for intimidation of a witness in a civil case in which he was involved.

Long's arrest may be at least in part tied to the city's most famous attack on the federal judiciary in recent memory: the 2005 slaying of U.S. District Judge Joan Lefkow's mother and husband by a man angry at the judge for dismissing his lawsuit.

After the slayings, the U.S. Marshal's Service and the sheriff's department shared intelligence involving possible threats to court facilities. A database was created that includes the names of 20 to 25 people, including Long's, who are monitored whenever they enter a court building.

Dart stressed that even if Long's name hadn't been on the list, he would have been stopped because the knives set off the metal detector.

But O'Malley said if Long hadn't been identified as a possible threat, the deputies might have held the knives for him, allowed him to enter the court and then returned them when he came back.

"It never would have been revealed what's in front of us today," he said near the table of weapons.

Particularly disturbing, Dart said, is that investigators found knives made of hard plastic at Long's home.

"They can be snuck into a building and are something that can harm or kill somebody," he said.
    The man was a "convicted felon". However, I know of NO laws preventing convicted felons from having a knife collection (guns, yes, knives no). Yeah, he had five guns. Well, there's something to arrest him for.

Ok, the guy is a threat perhaps. He carried weapons into the courthouse (against the rules in MY state too). However - they make a really BIG deal out of his knives here.

What the hell?

If that had been ME or YOU with no criminal background it would have been even WORSE on us.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Media Ignorance

1600 knives is a big deal. Of course, I could grab a couple boxes from a shelf in my building and each box has around 500 knives in it....all with 2 to 3 inch blades.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I was looking something else up and came across that. I have... I'll bet I have somewhere over 100 knives in my place. Maybe more, if I collected everything and put them all together. I have at least 8-9 pocket knives. I'm sure I have some I've forgotten. I KNOW I used to have somewhere around 8-9 hunting knives (gave some away to the boys and a daughter, things like that)....

I've only ever found a couple of perfect knives - both of which someone else found more perfect because they were stolen.

1600 is more like a "collection" or the guy has a knife fetish or something
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

TOWN HALL: CBS does hatchet job on the Springs (poll)

Another effort to trash conservatives

August 16, 2012 8:10 PM
    ShareThis| Print Story | E-Mail Story

WAYNE LAUGESEN
    FOR THE EDITORIAL BOARD

A big player in the mainstream liberal press did another run-of-the-mill hatchet job on Colorado Springs on Tuesday, insinuating that homes burned during the Waldo Canyon fire because our conservative electorate refused to raise taxes for public safety in 2009.

“They chose dark highways, overgrown parks and municipal layoffs,” said reporter Jim Axelrod on CBS Evening News.
    The not-so-objective Axelrod explained that City Hall has privatized groundskeeping, hired the YMCA to run local pools, and trimmed nonemergency police services.

He quoted Mayor Steve Bach explaining how city residents will need to come together and provide more of what they want. He meant they would have to become less dependent on government, which is a good thing.

Then the report quoted former mayoral candidate Richard Skorman, who lost in a runoff to Bach.

“I think we have to raise taxes,” Skorman said. “I know it’s a sin to use those words in Colorado Springs.”

Then the inevitable. Video switched from Skorman, saying he warned of a wildfire on the west side (as did Bach), to homes ablaze in the Waldo Canyon fire.

“Only the voters can approve taxes in Colorado Springs, a long shot in this conservative town,” Axelrod said. “But even the no-new-taxes mayor is now having second thoughts.”

Video cuts to Bach saying: “I hope the citizens, somewhere in the future, will decide that we should have more-stable revenue, which does mean property tax revenue.”

Cut to video of a lone manhole cover near a bit of broken concrete, a propaganda technique to suggest that our city is a broken-down mess. Furthering the propaganda, the video cuts to a tightly cropped shot of weeds popping up through cracks in a sidewalk, accompanied by: “If they choose not to (raise taxes), they may have more problems than just dark streets.” How frightening!

For the record, Bach says his comments were taken out of context. He did not advocate for higher taxes, as the report implied. He stated a nuanced position he has long held.

“What I said is that long term we should consider rebalancing our revenue with more stable income (real estate tax) for core services (public safety and infrastructure) with a commensurate reduction in sales tax with no net increase in total tax paid by the typical citizen,” Bach explained in an email.

Most troubling is that CBS tried to link the destruction of homes with conservatives, never pointing out that Colorado Springs spends more per capita on firefighters than a host of large cities, including Los Angeles, that are prone to wildfires. They failed to mention a study by Summit Economics that found Colorado Springs has increased annual public safety spending, in inflation-adjusted dollars, from $88 per resident in 1950 to $275 per resident in 2008.

They declined to point out that other cities are swimming in debt, filing for bankruptcy up and down the West Coast, as Colorado Springs has lived within its means. Never let facts interfere with blaming conservatives for federal forest fires the government fails to contain. Nice hatchet work, CBS.

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/spri...#ixzz23oAaG1w5
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Adding "Willful" to the front of the title would be more appropriate...

Thanks

You mean on the thread title? LOL

Ok
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Willful Media Ignorance

LOL! I wasn't actually serious but, it is more fitting!

Thanks

Default Re: Willful Media Ignorance

You were right, it is more fitting. I changed it because you hit the nail on the head!

And I'll bet if we try this could be one of the biggest threads ever....
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information