Thread: Time Travel weirdness?

Thanks

Default Time Travel weirdness?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8c1_1288037925

The crux of it...Charlie Chaplin's 1928 film "The Circus" has a moment where two folks move across the screen.

Person two appears to be yakking on a cell phone. In 1928.

They're got something to their ear they are talking into. It fits in the hand. It is smaller than a Vacuum tube.

What is it?

No one knows.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Default Re: Time Travel weirdness?

Now that is interesting.

Sure looks like the shape of a cell phone.

Thanks

The REAL Captain Kirk.

(Actually, that was me. Sorry, didn't mean to mess up the shot)
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

now that is finally something that looks legit... might have to do some snooping into this one.

Thanks

I seen this a few day ago or so on another site. This has even made the national evening news this evening. Hell of a phone to talk through time, but hey I guess if you are time traveling then talk'n quantum wouldn't be that big of deal LOL.

Thanks

I saw it on the news tonight as well. I was sort of shocked, heh.

The person doesn't have to be talking through time, just to another person out there. It could be a common walkie talkie from 2099. Those have a 10 year battery life and a range of 90 miles in normal mode and will go 120 miles in emergency mode but it burns up the battery faster.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

WTF else could it be?

Weird.

Thanks

I forgot to look at this last night.

I have to remember tonight. I can't see the damned video at work (unless someone has a file they could mail me?)
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Well, I'd host it for you but then I'd have to re-install the movie downloader extension and they all suck now. It used to be you could install a FF extension and not have to worry about spam, toolbars etc. Now they sucks a big fat one so I don't want to.

That said...

here's a still from it.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I don't know how to save/post it, but that part where the video is enlarged: you can see the person's mouth moving, their hand wrapped/bent around something about the size of a cell phone. Then she turns into the camera - then the pic/video fades.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Fox News just showed the clip in question.

Someone's been ignoring the Temporal Prime Directive!

Thanks

I told you guys... I wish you would all just pretend this didn't happen. I'm going to have to explain this now.

/sigh
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

October 29, 2010 8:20 AM "Time-Traveler" Cell Phone Likely a 1924 Hearing Aid

Posted by Ken Millstone 14 comments
    Do you want to believe?

An Irish filmmaker says he's convinced that footage from a 1928 Charlie Chaplin film shows a woman talking on a cell phone - and that after considering all the possibilities the only one that stands up to reason is that the woman is a time traveler from the future.

The video has gone viral, viewers are now deciding for themselves, and many have taken to picking apart George Clarke's earnest declaration that the lady in that DVD footage of "The Circus" is sporting an iPhone or Droid.

Watch the video:

The most popular theory right now is that she's holding an early hearing aid - yes they did exist in 1928. Check out the people in this "history" page on Siemens' website using a "compact, pocket sized carbon microphone/amplifier device," developed in 1924.

And if it is a cell phone, who is she talking to? It's not like there were other people with cell phones, right? Or is the cell signal traveling back to the future through time and space, so she can tell everyone how great it is in 1928?
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Is this a time-traveller in a Charlie Chaplin film? Footage from 1928 shows woman 'using a mobile phone'

By Niall Firth
    Last updated at 1:42 PM on 29th October 2010

Perhaps she really is a time-traveller, sent back through the decades to make a jaw-dropping cameo appearance.

Or maybe she was a maverick genius, secretly testing out advanced technology for the government and caught on camera at the wrong moment.

Whatever the explanation, this footage from a Charlie Chaplin promotional film in 1928 showing a woman apparently using a mobile phone has left viewers stumped.

A traveller from the future? This clip from a film about the premiere of Charlie Chaplin's 1928 movie The Circus shows what appears to be a woman talking on a mobile phone in the opening scene (on the right)

The baffling scene is found in the extras section of The Circus and shows members of the public attending the premiere of the film at Manns Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.

The short piece of footage shows an older woman dressed in a coat and hat with her hand held up to the left-hand side of her face as she talks.

There is no one around for her to be speaking to apart from a suited man who strides on ahead at the beginning of the shot.

Even her gestures and behaviour as she 'talks' will be eerily familiar to modern-day viewers as she appears to stop, mid-sentence, during her apparent conversation.

The bizarre anachronism was unearthed by film buff George Clark on his Charlie Chaplin box set.

Look who's talking: Her gestures as she walks and talks appear just like those of modern-day mobile phone users

Woman out of time: A close-up of the image shows the woman's hand is close to her face and she appears to be talking

He says he has shown it to more than 100 people and still no one can come up with a convincing explanation.

Some viewers have suggested she is listening to a portable radio close to her face, although this would not explain why she appears to be talking.

Others say she may be displaying signs of schizophrenia and covering her face to hide the fact that she is talking aloud to herself.

It has also been suggested that she is simply trying to hide her face from the camera so she is not filmed.

There are also sceptics who believe the footage is just a stunt created by Mr Clark - a film maker with Yellow Fever Productions - to publicise his latest film festival.

The first device that could be likened to a mobile phone was Motorola’s original ‘Walkie-Talkie’ which was developed in the 1940s, but that was the size of a man’s arm and still came more than a decade after the Chaplin film.

See you later... As the scene fades out, the mystery figure can be seen smiling

The main attraction: In The Circus, Chaplin's character falls in love with the circus-owner's daughter

Portable mobile phones that we would recognise today did not appear until the 1980s and even then they were still too big to hide in the palm of your hand.

In a video that Mr Clark has posted on YouTube he jokes that the only plausible theory is that the woman is a time traveller.

He says: ‘This short film is about a piece of footage I found behind the scenes in Charlie Chaplins film The Circus.'

'Attending the premiere at Manns Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, California - the scene shows a large woman dressed in black with a hat hiding most of her face, with what can only be described as a mobile phone device - talking as she walks alone.

‘I have studied this film for over a year now - showing it to over 100 people and at a film festival, yet no one can give any explanation as to what she is doing.

‘My only theory - as well as many others - is simple... a time traveller on a mobile phone. See for yourself and feel free to leave a comment on your own explanation or thoughts about it.'

Chaplin’s The Circus was one of the master director’s final silent movies and won him the Academy Award in 1929 for ‘Versatility and genius in writing, acting, directing and producing’.

It tells the story of the Tramp, who works as a clown in a circus and who falls in love with a circus-master’s daughter.

Chaplin produced the film at the height of the legal fallout over his divorce from Lita Grey and he did not mention it once in his autobiography, even though it is now regarded as one of his masterpieces.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz13l5T4xMC
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I have to say something here. The movie was done in 1928.

The first "portable" transistor radio was built in 1955, from 1954 developments.

The first CAR radio was made by Motorola in 1930.

In 1940 Motorola produced the first "handy talkie", many years after the movie.

Motorola, by the way, didn't start until 1928......

There were NO "portable" radios in 1928 because the main technology was vacuum tubes. The portable equipment used then - in the form of radios were large, carried three batteries (An A, B and C battery).

Each of the batteries performed a different function. One was grid biasing, another was plate current and a third was used for the filaments of the tubes. If you didn't use such batteries, you had to have a power supply which tied you to an AC power cord.

So it wasn't a "portable radio".

Oh... here's the first Cellular Phone system - please note the YEAR:

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Here's my evidence against a portable radio:

The above image contains a triode vacuum tube. You will see three battery symbols in the circuit. As I stated in my initial post up there, they are labeled A, B and C . The circuit is a single tube amplifier, and the C battery provides what's called a bias voltage, allowing any applied audio (or alternating voltage in this case) to ride on the DC battery bias voltage.

The B battery shown is a high voltage battery, usually on the order of 90 vdc which then powers the output. The outputted voltage is "amplified by the tube by turn on and off the signal or basically having the plate voltage (at the top) "track" with the input voltage (usually in a reverse polarity) giving a much higher output level than the input level.

Sorry for the technical details, but this is the same sort of thing that occurred when the Titor Incident at Anomalies site.

Everyone had "theories", all of which were wrong. Including the infamous "power requirements" listed on a "spec sheet" that we were provided much later. On that particular page they had the "power consumption" listed in a value called "Columobs".

A columb is a measure of energy - 6.28 X 10^18 electrons. It's a value of electrical CHARGE. It takes 1C moving through a wire over 1 second to give 1 AMPERE of current.

In other words, you don't rate energy usage in columbs, but rather in, say amperes, joules or some other moving form of energy.

I really love it when people try to explain things they know nothing about in some mystic terms of physics they assume the rest of us will know nothing about.

In short, the explanation the device is a cell phone falls short for many other reasons. I'll explain in the next message.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

This mystery will never be solved. It certainly could be that hearing aid but why is the women talking?

Since everyone who was in the film or part of the production is dead we will never know.

Unless of course the traveler appears tomorrow. That person could be one day older. THAT would be neat.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Cellular telephones require a pretty massive infrastructure.

Telephones themselves require wires to tie them to the central office.

Cell phones are two way radios (I'd say simple two way radios, but there is nothing simple about them!) that connect to cell towers. Cell towers are antenna systems with multiple receivers to pick up and transfer information from your transmitted signal.

There would have been NONE of the necessary infrastructure in 1928 for such a device to even function in the area, let alone be able to talk to someone.

There were NO small, hand held radios available then. Nothing, certainly, an old woman would holding to her ear safely!

A time traveler.... carrying a communications device would have to be talking to someone locally, nearby, in a ship or "time machine" and thus such a device could be a small "Star Trek" type of communicator.

Though, I certainly would expect a TT as highly advanced as even someone twenty years from MY future right now to have something less obtrusive than a "cell phone" sized device.

Secondarily, I'd expect them to remain somewhat "secretive" about such overt communications with their "ship". They would likely have a hidden mic, vox transmitter, earphone and hidden wires at the LEAST.

Even TODAY if I were going to do a covert mission in a city, and needed to remain in communication with someone, hell, I'd use a simple cell phone like everyone else. If I didn't want to be seen talking, I'd use a hidden mic, earphone, radio under my jacket with voice operation (to transmit) and basically not talk near anyone, or cameras.

There are too many reason this COULD NOT be a time traveler, more than reasons that it IS a time traveler.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I don't think there is any mystery at all.

She was carrying a hearing aid - and was talking to her husband who walked off and left her behind. She was an old woman and she was chewing him out for something and he didn't want to deal with it.

Simple as that.
    Last edited by American Patriot; November 1st, 2010 at 13:08.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

here you go....

Geek / By Robin Burks / September 4, 4:48 PM
    Scientists simulate time travel to solve the 'grandfather paradox'

Time travel is a common staple in science fiction films and on TV. However, is it really possible? And how can you bypass the so-called "grandfather paradox," which basically states that if you go back in time and change things, it also changes the future?

A group of physicists from the University of Queensland simulated time travel in a lab by using the concept from Einstein's theory of general relativity that states that a powerful gravitational field, such as that found in a black hole, could create a situation where spacetime curves around itself. This "closed timelike curve" (CTC) allows for time travel.

However, if this is true, there is also the theory of the "grandfather paradox." This is a hypothetical scenario where someone uses a CTC to travel into the past and kill their own grandfather. The result is that this person no longer exists because they've prevented their own birth.

Most physicists think that CTCs are impossible because of their ability for creating paradoxes. However, in 1991, theoretical physicist David Deutsch suggested that these scenarios avoid paradoxes because, at least on a quantum scale, particles don't follow the strict rules of probability.

"It's intriguing that you've got general relativity predicting these paradoxes, but then you consider them in quantum mechanical terms and the paradoxes go away," says University of Queensland physicist Tim Ralph. "It makes you wonder whether this is important in terms of formulating a theory that unifies general relativity with quantum mechanics."

In a lab, physicists studied sending such a particle back in time.The particle created by the flip of a switch on a machine, could do one of two things: go back in time to flip the switch on the particle-generating machine that created it or it could not flip the switch. You would think that if the particle did not flip the switch the particle would stop existing, right? But because a particle must come out of a CTC with the same properties it had when it entered, even if it does not flip the switch, it still comes out of that time loop unchanged. It's a weird concept, but it goes in line with what we know of quantum mechanics.

For consistency, physicists used clones of pairs of polarized photons. They sent one pair through the CTC simulation. When it came out of the time loop, they compared it to its clone: both pairs were identical, signifying that the journey did not change the time traveling pair. The physicists performed this simulation multiple times, and each time, the results were the same.

"The state we got at our output, the second photon at the simulated exit of the CTC, was the same as that of our input, the first encoded photon at the CTC entrance," says Ralph. "Of course, we're not really sending anything back in time but [the simulation] allows us to study weird evolutions normally not allowed in quantum mechanics."

Of course, this still doesn't mean that humans can travel through time, affect the past and then emerge unscathed, but it does have implications in the area of quantum cryptography.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information