Thread: Hatch Act

Thanks

Default Hatch Act

As election day rapidly approaches, we want to remind you about the limitations placed on federal employees who engage in partisan political activities. Your federal career can be ruined by even a single infraction of the Government’s restrictions on certain types of political activity.

Federal employee involvement in political activities is governed by the Hatch Act at 5 U.S.C. 7321-26 and OPM's implementing regulations at 5 C.F.R. Parts 733 and 734. The exact nature of participation in partisan political events allowed under the Hatch Act depends upon where you work and the position you hold. All civilian employees in the Executive Branch, except the President and Vice President, are covered by various provisions of the Hatch Act.

Generally, Federal employees may participate in a variety of political activities, including taking an active part in a political campaign, circulating nominating petitions, canvassing for votes and distributing campaign literature. However, the Hatch Act prohibits Federal employees from engaging in partisan political activity while either on duty or in a federal building. They may not, for instance, wear partisan political buttons or display related campaign material in their workspaces.

The Hatch Act bars some off-duty political activities outside the federal workplace, as well. For example, sending an e-mail through the agency's e-mail system could be a Hatch Act violation, if the content of the e-mail message is political in nature. Such a violation may be found even if you send the e-mail from home after remotely accessing your MDA e-mail account. Similarly, Federal employees may not engage in partisan political activities when wearing uniforms or riding in government vehicles. Moreover,

Federal employees may not run for political office in a partisan election. Some, but not all, Federal employees are also banned from participating in political campaigns, even when they are off-duty and not on Federal agency premises.

You should treat prohibited forms of political activity in connection with your Federal position as the proverbial "hot potato." When in doubt, it is best to steer clear of activities that could be deemed questionable.

More detailed guidance is included in the DEPSECDEF Memo dated October 12, 2010, SUBJECT: “Civilian Employees’ Participation in Political Activities” and in DoD Directive 1344.10, “Political Activities by Members of the Armed Forces,” dated February 19, 2008. The Hatch Act is enforced by the Office of Special Counsel (OSC). For more information about the Hatch Act, please visit the OSC website http://osc.gov/haFederalfaq.htm <http://osc.gov/haFederalfaq.htm> or you may contact the MDA General Counsel’s Office. If you want to read about two recent cases where employees were disciplined for violations of the Hatch Act, go to: www.osc.gov/documents/press/2010/pr10_19ha.pdf .
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Hatch Act

I was told that having certain types of links on your facebook page would in violation as well. Not sure if this is true so I cleaned up my page to be done with it anyway.

Thanks

When I was in the Reserves, I was told "You can't have your bio on the internet."

"You have to remove your picture from the internet"

"You can't write political material on the internet"

I told them to stuff it up their asses, there is no regulation that says any such thing and if there were such a regulation it would be a clear violation of my civil rights.

They shut the fuck up.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Ok.. so many years ago I posted this in the "Tyranny" area because I was being told then I could NOT contribute to my personal political cause, etc.

I essentially told them to stick their orders where the sun didn't shine. I was RIGHT.

I ran for a political office while in the employ of the US Government (I was a USAF Reservist) and was told I couldn't run. I told them "Try and stop me".

At the time I was daring them to screw with me (I was running for a NON-partisan office, school board). They stopped messing with me because frankly it's in the law I COULD run. I wanted them to try to stop me. They realized their mistake.

In recent days I've been talked too...

But, I found this today:

Federal Government Contractors

Federal government contractors may not make contributions to influence Federal elections. For example, if you are a consultant under contract to a Federal agency, you may not contribute to Federal candidates or political committees. Or, if you are the sole proprietor of a business with a Federal government contract, you may not make contributions from personal or business funds. But, if you are merely employed by a company (or partnership) with Federal government contracts, you are permitted to make contributions from your personal funds.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information