Wow… I really hope this wasn't a serious comment…

Russia Would Never Harm Israel: Olmert
Israeli leader Ehud Olmert said he had been assured by President Vladimir Putin that Russia would "never do anything to harm Israel" despite his invitation to Hamas for talks in Moscow.

"President Putin told me that he had previously given a commitment to (the coma-stricken Israeli Prime Minister) Ariel Sharon that Russia would never do anything to harm the state of Israel and that that commitment applies to me as it did to Ariel Sharon," Olmert, the acting prime minister, told public radio.

"The Russian president also sent a clear and unequivocal message, about which there can be no mistake, that he supports the three principles."

Olmert was referring to demands by the international community that Hamas must recognise Israel's right to exist, commit itself to non-violence and adhere to previously signed international agreements.

Russia's invitation to a delegation from Hamas -- a movement considered as a terrorist organisation by Israel, the United States and European Union -- was fiercely denounced by members of Olmert's government last month.

Kremlin officials however have said that they will use the talks on Friday to pressure Hamas to alter its platform.