Thread: Russian SLBM Shows Up In North Korea

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Russian SLBM Shows Up In North Korea

Russian SLBM Shows Up In North Korea
    October 13, 2010

A recent military parade in North Korea featured the first public appearance of the long rumored RSM-25 (or Musudan) missile. This is a variant of the Russian SS-N-6 submarine launched missile. The North Korean version is believed to weigh 20 tons and have a range of over 3,000 kilometers. But there have been no tests, so it's uncertain if the North Koreans have been able to make the Russian design work for them.

The SS-N-6 is a 1960s vintage ballistic missile, and is known in Russia as the R-27. SS-N-6 is a NATO code name for the R-27. This was Russia's first true submarine launched ballistic missile (SLBM), and sixteen of them were carried in Yankee class SSBNs (missile carrying nuclear submarines.) The 12 ton R-27 had a range of 2,800 kilometers and uses storable liquid fuel. This means it can be ready for launch in less than half an hour.

After the R-27 was replaced by more modern missiles in the 1970s, the missile continued to be used for scientific research until 1990. By that time, 492 R-27s had been launched, 87 percent of them successfully.

It would be very embarrassing for the Russians if someone had illegally exported SS-N-6/R-27 missiles to North Korea. It is more likely, and was been reported a few years ago, that the Russian organization that designed the R-27, had illegally sold the plans to North Korea. This was supposed to have happened sometime in the 1990s, and the main reason for the deal was so that North Korea could obtain the R-27 missile guidance technology. The Russians kept improving the guidance system of the R-27 through the 1980s, while the North Koreans were desperate for missile guidance technology. But it appears that the North Koreans built at least one R-27, and may have incorporated R-27 technology in some of their other long range ballistic missiles.

Thanks

Default Re: Russian SLBM Shows Up In North Korea

Makes one wonder about who REALLY launched that missile off the California Coast, doesn't it?
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    Makes one wonder about who REALLY launched that missile off the California Coast, doesn't it?
    I still say it was the Chinese. Russians play a better chess game than boasting what they have. They understand and embrace a poker face. The Chinese military does not.

Thanks

I wasn't suggesting it was the Russians at all, Toad.

I'll be clear and concise.

It was the Iranians and North Koreans launching a Scud from a container ship.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...missile-in-box

If the North Koreans have them - then the Iranians have them. If they both have them, then it is a matter of TIME before we have an air burst nuclear device go off someplace over America in an attempt to shut us down.

Everyone is fully aware of EMP. EVERYONE is FULLY AWARE that we have little or NO defense against it.

In reality that missile was launched less than four minutes flight time from LA, San Diego and about 6 minutes from San Francisco. I don't care much for San Fran, but I can tell you I have a lot of friends up there, including Olav who wouldn't stand a chance against such a thing. Four to Six minutes? We can acquire it, ID it and then try to shoot it down, but it's too close for comfort!

Good God... Lawrence Livermore Labs is there.... any ideas what we do at the Nation Labs? I'll leave you to guess.

There has been a hell of a lot of "work" being done of late since the missile launch, tests and so forth - I don't believe we were ready for that. We're looking for long range launches, not short range suicide missions like that. You know we'd get the vessel, or they'd destroy themselves to prevent capture or information from falling into our hands.

Truth be told though, if they can launch it 200 miles up (they have a range of about 300 km or about 186 miles) that's all they need to produce a decent EMP. The blast at that altitude causes a massive "bounce" in the ionosphere (something called the Compton effect, which I am not going to try to explain here - it's more physics than my poor head can handle this morning - sorry suffering from vertigo and a severe migraine for the last three days now). This is about the most I've sat up in several days.

Point being... an EMP launched against either shore will kill most Americans in the space of a short time (see my review on "One Second After" in the library thread).

It won't take a direct hit on a city to kill people. Just a hit on our electrical and communications systems, cars, trucks, planes and so forth. Planes will literally fall out of the sky. Jets can't fly if their engines go out because the computers are dead. Trains might continue to run, but electronics will be gone signaling where they are, and when to stop. Disasters will be all over the place.

Communications will mostly be out. TV and radio, dead. We'd have to send people into an affected area to find out what happened.

If there were multiple successful launches, one from the Gulf, one from the East Coast and one from the West Coast.... well, bye bye USA baby.

If you folks don't believe that wasn't a real missile launch the other day, didn't you listen to the Leftist president say how we were going to continue on with Missile Defense in SPITE of the so-called Russian-US START treaty the other day?

You know why, right? His ASS IS PUCKERED OVER THE MISSILE OFF CA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Sorry, I wasn't precisely accurate...

Nuclear Weapon EMP Effects

A high-altitude nuclear detonation produces an immediate flux of gamma rays from the nuclear reactions within the device. These photons in turn produce high energy free electrons by Compton scattering at altitudes between (roughly) 20 and 40 km. These electrons are then trapped in the Earth’s magnetic field, giving rise to an oscillating electric current. This current is asymmetric in general and gives rise to a rapidly rising radiated electromagnetic field called an electromagnetic pulse (EMP). Because the electrons are trapped essentially simultaneously, a very large electromagnetic source radiates coherently.

The pulse can easily span continent-sized areas, and this radiation can affect systems on land, sea, and air. The first recorded EMP incident accompanied a high-altitude nuclear test over the South Pacific and resulted in power system failures as far away as Hawaii. A large device detonated at 400–500 km over Kansas would affect all of CONUS. The signal from such an event extends to the visual horizon as seen from the burst point.
    Essentially, the first paragraph explains it. The second one tells you the effects.

more here: http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/emp.htm
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information