Thread: Stalin Statue Blown Up In Ukraine

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Stalin Statue Blown Up In Ukraine

Stalin Statue Blown Up In Ukraine
    January 1, 2011

EXTREMISTS blew up a controversial monument to Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin on New Year's night in southeastern Ukraine in an 'act of terror', the local Communist Party said on Saturday.

The bust in the city of Zaporizhia, unveiled this May, caused a heated controversy in Ukraine which is still split between its nationalist west and the more Russian orientated east which fondly remembers the Soviet past.

'A criminal broke into the grounds of the Communist Party regional headquarters, and laid an explosive charge which detonated after a few minutes,' the Communist Party said.

'The statue of Stalin was destroyed as a result of the blast,' the Communists said in a statement. It said that the explosion inflicted serious damage on the building but there were no casualties.

'We consider this to be an act of terror and a challenge from extreme right-wing forces,' it added. The explosion took place at 10.40pm (4.40am Saturday, Singapore time) on New Year's Eve, it said.

The same statue had been badly damaged last week in a blast claimed by Nationalist group Tryzub (Trident) which denounced Stalin as 'the executioner of the Ukrainian people and an international terrorist.'
    From an extreme right-winger in the US to fellow extreme right-wingers in Ukraine:

Thanks

Default Re: Stalin Statue Blown Up In Ukraine

My only regret, my Ukrainian comrades, was that I was not there.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Default Re: Stalin Statue Blown Up In Ukraine

We've seen in the past how symbols, things like statues, can become the focal point in former soviet countries. Remember Estonia? I've always had a soft spot for the Ukraine, let's hope the same or worse doesn't happen there.

Thread Information