Thread: iPad anyone?

Thanks

Thumbs up iPad anyone?

Anyone used one, own one, played with them, or have comments, remarks, gripes or just plain complaints?

I'm considering buying a couple of them. Want to see what others think.

or
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: iPad anyone?

we have them here at work. basically they are just big iphones. they are a little too big, it is hard to hold sideways and type. your thumbs won't reach the middle keys very easily, so you have to put it down or hold in one hand to type.

also, you are tied to Apple's way of thinking, which is only stuff they approve of can be installed (legally).

on the plus side, there are obviously tons of apps, and if you have an iphone or mac you are already used to what you would be seeing graphically.

personally it depends on what you need it for, if it is just for reading you might want to get a kindle or nook instead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    we have them here at work. basically they are just big iphones. they are a little too big, it is hard to hold sideways and type. your thumbs won't reach the middle keys very easily, so you have to put it down or hold in one hand to type.

also, you are tied to Apple's way of thinking, which is only stuff they approve of can be installed (legally).

on the plus side, there are obviously tons of apps, and if you have an iphone or mac you are already used to what you would be seeing graphically.

personally it depends on what you need it for, if it is just for reading you might want to get a kindle or nook instead.
    I have a Kindle. Don't want it for reading necessarily. Can use it to browse this site and other stuff without dragging along a laptop or a netbook. I have a few other ideas in mind too though.

The Apple iPad Peterle. Never heard of it?
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I've handled a few and set up a few.

I personally have an Ipod touch which is essentially small version of the WIFI Ipad. The Iphone is the small version of the 3g Ipad.

They are not a replacement for a laptop.
    They are great for travel or sitting next to the couch so you can IMDB something while you're watching TV or in fact if you're not near a TV but you have a good connection, you can use it as your personal TV.

Basically it's 99% for consuming the internet and 1% producing.(like writing emails). It has a great form factor that makes it even better than a netbook for travel.

It's not great for "working" on anything.

It's also very good at conserving energy and generally just working all the time.

If it fits your needs, get one, you'll enjoy the hell out of it. If you've got a full featured PC everywhere you go, you'll not use it much. If you want to get addicted, download Angry Birds.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Was thinking of getting my wife one.... her birthday is soon. She's not sure she wants one. She spends 80% of her time on the computer on facebook and stuff like that.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

It's great for light internet stuff. Keep it on the counter while you're cooking or whatever. It's not a laptop, it's "internet at your fingertips". I would like one but the wife won't allow it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Well, I want one too. But not sure *I* can get one. LOL

I was talking to her about it. I don't usually go out and buy expensive gifts for her unless they are 1) Jewelry or 2) we talk about it first to see if it is something she will use.

Thus, I spoke to her about it. She keeps telling me to "put it off another year".

I told her, "In another year, I won't be buying anything. We'll be on a boat in about 18 months and there won't be a budget for that sort of thing anymore"

Basically, it's now or never. She remains unconvinced. I guess I'll buy her a cake and a card.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

yep if you are just going to surf the web and not do any work etc, then sure it'd be great for that kind of stuff.

Thanks

Don't forget Rick, the era of cheap Chinese imports is coming to a close.

I give it 18 months, tops before Chinese goods aren't so attractive any longer.

You'll still be able to get them...they'll just be way more money that you'll typically want to spend for an item that doesn't last two years.
    Last edited by Malsua; February 11th, 2011 at 17:33.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Yeah, I've been considering that stuff.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Go to the apple web site. I'm not sure if they are offered in Europe yet, but sure they are.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Buying an Apple product is like moving to a communist country. Steve Jobs is a dictator and nothing is compatible with the outside world.

Shoulda bought an Android phone instead. My phone now takes the place of my computer for the moat part. I use it a lot for what Malsua said. I'll be sitting on the couch watching tv when all of a sudden something will get my attention. I usually hit pause, whip out the phone and look it up.

I see they now have pads that run on Android, which I prefer over the Apple OS and Windows. Haven't used one yet so I can't make a recommendation. I do have an ipod but that is slowly getting phased out due to my phone.

Thanks

There's something called "Jailbreaking" the iPad...

hehe
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

The Ipad isn't a laptop.

It's an internet consumption device supposed to be used in soft environments...like your living room, hotel room, class room, etc.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Yeah, I picked one up for JoAnne Saturday. I bought the high memory one (64 Gig) and wifi only.

She is a big facebooker, and stays in contact with friends. I got it because we go out often to eat and take our netbook, kindle or something with us and send messages while talking and eating. Usually we stay out for several hours talking and having a beer and play around with our electronics. haha.

Anyway - basically she can send email, do facebook stuff, look up things on the internet. Can do the same stuff with my Blackberry, but, I can't read the screen. lol Neither can she anymore.

She doesn't have a small netbook and liked mine, but didn't want me to buy her one. Finally I just got her the iPad.

As Mal said its NOT a laptop, but I certainly would use it like one, mostly to browse, post here, do face book stuff and in general communicate. That would be my use. A phone is nice, texting is nice, but I want a screen I can actually read (and even the netbook isn't good enough for the latter)
    Libertatem Prius!

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Ya know, I am with Catfish on the iPad. I'd prefer a toughbook as Peterlie showed as well.

Thanks

Go download Angry Birds from itunes.

It's fun and challenging as hell.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thread Information