Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Russophobe: Do You Agree?

Thanks

Default La Russophobe: Do You Agree?

http://larussophobe.wordpress.com/20...why-arent-you/

Yeah, so I found this website a long time ago and came back to it again. My views on Russia are as followed. I think that the government is plain out horrible and never to be trusted. But I actually like Russian history, culture, and so far the Russians I've met have been very nice. So, when I read this, I'm a bit shocked. I mean I hate Putin, Medvedev, and crew. I know that the Russian people have big problems. I know the government is corrupt, but I wouldn't go this far. My question is, do you agree with what this person is saying?
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Default Re: La Russophobe: Do You Agree?

Quote Originally Posted by michael2 View Post
    I do not, I happen to like Russian Philosophers like Vladimir Soloviev and writers such as Doestievsky.
    Personally, Dostoevsky was depressing for me. But what is Soloviev like?
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Interesting. I should read his work.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RememberCuba94 View Post
    http://larussophobe.wordpress.com/20...why-arent-you/

Yeah, so I found this website a long time ago and came back to it again. My views on Russia are as followed. I think that the government is plain out horrible and never to be trusted. But I actually like Russian history, culture, and so far the Russians I've met have been very nice. So, when I read this, I'm a bit shocked. I mean I hate Putin, Medvedev, and crew. I know that the Russian people have big problems. I know the government is corrupt, but I wouldn't go this far. My question is, do you agree with what this person is saying?
    I skimmed the site but will have to give it a more thorough read at a later time, hadn't seen it before.

I will say, I most certainly don't consider myself a Russophobe. A phobia is an irrational fear and I most certainly don't irrationally fear Russia. I'd say I have more of a healthy respect for them and what they are capable of doing.

But to respond to your thoughts on Russia directly, the little I do know of their pre-October Revolution, czarist history is interesting though I've focused more on post-Revolution for obvious reasons.

One of the things I respect Russia for is their ability to make dirt simple weaponry that just works from the simple AK to their missile systems. They don't worry about "best" but "good enough to get the job done". Each method obviously has pros and cons.

As for Russian people, I've met a few. Some have been very friendly and warm people others, I wouldn't so much blink around for fear I'd end up with my wallet missing or a knife in my back or both! But those are really just my admittedly limited views.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    I skimmed the site but will have to give it a more thorough read at a later time, hadn't seen it before.

I will say, I most certainly don't consider myself a Russophobe. A phobia is an irrational fear and I most certainly don't irrationally fear Russia. I'd say I have more of a healthy respect for them and what they are capable of doing.

But to respond to your thoughts on Russia directly, the little I do know of their pre-October Revolution, czarist history is interesting though I've focused more on post-Revolution for obvious reasons.

One of the things I respect Russia for is their ability to make dirt simple weaponry that just works from the simple AK to their missile systems. They don't worry about "best" but "good enough to get the job done". Each method obviously has pros and cons.

As for Russian people, I've met a few. Some have been very friendly and warm people others, I wouldn't so much blink around for fear I'd end up with my wallet missing or a knife in my back or both! But those are really just my admittedly limited views.
    The ones I've spoken to have been friendly, open-minded, and intelligent. One common characteristic they all seem to have is pride in their country, not the government though.

True, there are things to respect about Russians, and they also have bad people as well. What I hate about this person is the generalization. "Russian food is disgusting." "Russians are cowards." "Russians hate families." Geez, lady. I mostly hate this because I see it happen with Americans so much. I just hate it because there is no regard for the individual at all. Plus a complete lack of appreciation of the finer stuff you find in Russia. Totally agree with the opinion on their leadership and system though.

If you ever get a chance to look at czarist history, do it. The personalities of these people are hilarious. For example, Catherine the Great forced everyone in her court to speak French because they made fun of her German accent.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peterle Matteo View Post
    The Russian you have met are probably rich businessman.

I cant say for sure,i have never been in Russia but i've been in east Europe countries when they were communists and......the enviroment is that!

I knew people,Italian people...they went to Russia and once in Italy again they said;"OH,MAN!IT IS LIKE A TIME MACHINE...30 YEARS IN THE PAST"
    Considering that one of them doesn't even have his own room at nineteen let alone his own house, I'd say you're wrong. Plus, most of them are around my age. One of them is renting my old house. None of the ones I've met are rich.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Please dont be naive

To fly from Moscow to USA they spent more than 1,000 $

An average Russian family dont see 1,000 $ in their entire life
    The one that rents my old house came here many years ago during the Soviet Union. She's married to an American. Plus, I know that. Again, one of them has to live with their family in one room.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Wait...i dont want this trhead locked.

You are speaking about "REFUGEE".

Dont you think there must be a reason if they escaped from Communist-Russia?

The anwer lead us to the question above: I agree...in fact they try to escape from Russia.
    Yeah, she escape like 30 years ago. My problem is that the remarks are generalizing about people in general. Read the titles: "Russians hate families." "Russians are cowards." It's sort of racist. Plus, if you read around the site and look at the comments, she totally bashes everything and everyone that doesn't agree.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Right!

We cant generalizing.

The problem is that when 80% of people behave in a way...

She escaped,right?

It means she herself didnt like the majority of Russian behaviour.

Imagine you are in Russia,you go to to your "Russian friend" house...

Once there you are FORCED to drink tons of Vodka because if you dont they become angry.

Would you like it?
    But you're generalizing again. How do you know that 80% of the population are narcisstic cowards that beat their wives? Do you personally know 80% of the population?

No she didn't escape. The woman of that website is American who claims to have lived in Russia.

That's a stereotype. Not all Russians drink vodka.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michael2 View Post
    Doestievsky can be depressing, but he always holds out for the possibility of love and redemption, which is not depressing at all.
    "Can be," no. "Is", yes. I have to finish Crime and Punishment.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

I have been in eastern countries and i know how things run.

Yeah, but what you can't do is generalize. Yeah, alcoholism is a problem, but does that mean that every man and woman is a drunkard? No.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

I want to tell you a little story:

When i am abroad people sometime say:"Italian...Mafia member???"

I dont take it as racist...i have fun sometime.

I say to them:"Be careful with me...or BOOM!"

I am joking with them of course and they laugh too.

The important is that I dont take it as racist!
    They're probably joking too. The problem is this woman is not. Whenever you disagree with her, she'll immediately call you a brainwashed Russophile, a maniac, psychotic, etc. She literally takes it as the Gospel truth and doesn't change.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

AHHHHHH!

She IS in some way racist

If Russia is so good.
    Everything in Russia is nice...but little problems.

Why does not she returns and lives in russia???

I know the answer:

Because in her deep soul she does NOT LIKE RUSSIANS!!!
    Alright, let me try to explain it again. She is not Russian. She is American. It's only natural that she goes back to America, it's her home.

I do not think that Russia is a good place to live. I hate the government and the system there. I've already explained this. I have never said everything in Russia is nice. There is a lot to criticize. That is true with every country in existence. There are good and bad things in countries.

The problem is she's making these huge generalizations about a people, culture, and history based on some statistics and the bad people in the government. So yes, that is racist. I would react the same way whether it involves Americans, Japanese, Germans, Englishmen, French, etc. It's discriminatory, stupid, and antagonizing. Again, this is not just some person making a stereotypical remark. This is a person with a newsblog basing it entirely on why she hates Russians.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

I must say i dont know you nor her.

I can speak for myself and my experiences.

One last thing:

A man say to me:"Italian...Mafia member???"

2 reactions are on the table.

1.I am a Mafia member and i become very angry...i hide my angryness or not.
    It depends how much smart i am...but being a Mafia member i am smart!

2.I am not a Mafia member and i joke about it.

(I am in the 2nd option.)

When people have huge (and irrational) reaction usually it means there is something hidden.
    Not if there is a racist newsblog that is based entirely on hatred of your cultural identity. If it was a place like this or like Jeff Nyquist's place, I would agree. But it's not.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Or they could just be mad that a person is simply being hateful and spewing this on the net.

I see your point though.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Take the Americans.

There are countless blogs and sites against them:"The evil empire!Imperialists!..."

Do they get mad after them?

No,because they know that is not the truth.

Nobody remember Americans helped Europe after World war II.

But at the end the truth comes out.
    Actually I have seen Americans get mad at that. I've seen some actually become ashamed at being American because of comments like that.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Default :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by RememberCuba94 View Post
    I do not think that Russia is a good place to live. I hate the government and the system there. I've already explained this. I have never said everything in Russia is nice. There is a lot to criticize. That is true with every country in existence. There are good and bad things in countries.

The problem is she's making these huge generalizations about a people, culture, and history based on some statistics and the bad people in the government. So yes, that is racist. I would react the same way whether it involves Americans, Japanese, Germans, Englishmen, French, etc. It's discriminatory, stupid, and antagonizing. Again, this is not just some person making a stereotypical remark. This is a person with a newsblog basing it entirely on why she hates Russians.
    So stop with the strawman.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

"Good morning Sir!"

"Good morning,would you like a cup tea?"

"Thanks Sir."

"Where are you from?"

"I am from country X,and you?Where are you from?"

"Well i am from country Y."

"You know;in my country there are good people and bad people."

"It is the same in my country,we have good people and bad people."

"I am not generalizing,of course!"

"OH,me too!I am not generalizing!"

"Can i a question Sir?

"Of course!Tell me."

"Would you like to explain me why your country is a SUPERPOWER and my country is the poorest third world country?
    Everyone wants to escape from it.Oh i am so sad...there is a blog.
    Sigh,sob sob,it is telling the tr...
    Er... it is telling bad thing about my poor country!"

"You are generalizing,Sir!That's a stereotype."
    Look, I have said this many, many, many, many, many times already. I KNOW THAT RUSSIA IS NOT A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE. WHAT I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IS THE COMMENTS ABOUT PEOPLE. You can't accurately say, "All (insert nationality) are......" WHY?! Because everyone is an individual. Everyone is different. THAT'S WHAT MAKES THEM HUMAN. Generalizing about a race like that is racist. So, yes, I am not talking about Russia (country, government, etc). I'm talking about the people and the culture.

Plus, Russia is not a third world country. It's a second world country. Second world countries are "former" Soviet countries.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Dont worry about comments.
    They are not telling the truth by your point of wiew.
    I'm not worried. I'm mad that anyone would say that.

Oh..everyone is different.
    Therefore some people are better than others,some are smarter than other,some are more (insert adjective) than others.
    Exactly. Some individuals are better than others. But that is because of their talents, intelligents, and experiences. Again, that's individual. So say, that we have two Russian people. One is Ivan, and the other is Peter. Ivan is a nice guy, and Peter is not. That's because they're different people. Not because of nationality.

I
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thread Information