Thread: China and Colombia announce 'alternative Panama Canal'

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Default China and Colombia announce 'alternative Panama Canal'

China and Colombia announce 'alternative Panama Canal'

Trade between Colombia and China has increased from $10m in 1980 to more than $5bn last year

Colombia has announced it is negotiating with China to build an alternative to the Panama Canal.

The proposed transport route is intended to promote the flow of goods between Asia and Latin America.

The plan is to create a "dry canal" where the Pacific port of Buenaventura would be linked by rail, across Colombia, to the Atlantic Coast.

Trade between Colombia and China has increased from $10m in 1980 to more than $5bn last year.

The announcement came from the Colombian president, Juan Manuel Santos, who told the Financial Times that the project was "a real proposal... and it is quite advanced".

China has been increasing its involvement across Latin America to feed a growing need for raw materials and commodities.

According to BBC Bogota correspondent Jeremy McDermott, President Santos has departed from the emphasis on security of his predecessor Alvaro Uribe.

Mr Uribe's Democratic Security Policy, backed by US military aid, is credited with halving the numbers of Marxist rebels and pushing them into the more remote jungles and mountains.

Mr Santos is concentrating on what he calls "democratic prosperity", our correspondent says.

He hopes that economic development will address some of the root issues of the 46-year civil conflict, such as poverty and the lack of opportunities, which have pushed people into being rebels or into the lucrative drug trade, our correspondent says.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

Default Re: China and Colombia announce 'alternative Panama Canal'

Thanks Jimma Carter.... thanks very much.
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Which one? White one or black one?

Thanks

Jimmy Carter let the Panama Canal lapse to the Panamanians who made a deal with China.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I think you missed my joke...

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

U.S. prepares to hand over Panama Canal after 85 years

Clinton skips ceremony; Carter leads U.S. delegation

PANAMA CITY (CNN) -- After 85 years and amid a last-minute flurry of objections from some lawmakers, the United States on Tuesday will ceremonially hand over the Panama Canal to Panama.

The United States will be represented by a delegation of Cabinet officials and former President Jimmy Carter, who signed the 1977 agreement turning the waterway over to Panama. Though the ceremony takes place Tuesday, the canal -- a pulse point of world trade and one of the century's greatest feats of engineering -- won't officially become Panamanian property until December 31.

Carter is scheduled to join Panama's President Mireya Moscoso, King Juan Carlos of Spain and other world leaders in the ceremony. But notably absent from the event will be U.S. President Bill Clinton.

The canal was a symbol of the American emergence as a world power at the turn of the century. The United States backed the revolt that separated Panama from Colombia in 1903; built the canal, which was completed in 1914; and assumed control of the strip of land surrounding it from the Caribbean to the Pacific.

The United States has cast a long shadow over Panamanian life since the country's birth, occasionally intervening in its internal affairs -- as in 1989, when U.S. troops deposed Panamanian strongman Manuel Noriega.

American control of the economic -- and literal -- heart of Panama was a source nearly constant and sometimes violent resentment by Panamanians.

But many of the country's most prominent officials -- Clinton and Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, particularly -- will skip the event.

Besides Carter, the U.S. delegation includes two Cabinet members, Transportation Secretary Rodney Slater and Commerce Secretary William Daley. Clinton declined because of a scheduling conflict, while Albright will miss the event to prepare for Israeli-Syrian peace talks this week in Washington.

Clinton's absence means "the United States lost an opportunity to look good," Panama's foreign minister, Jose Miguel Aleman, said Monday.

"Panamanians will greet Carter warmly. He is a great friend," Aleman said Monday. "We are not disappointed because Clinton and Albright are not coming. We areplanning a big celebration. It is their loss if they do not come."

But he added, "The feeling I have gotten from the other members of the other countries is that they are disappointed and perplexed."

Historian David McCullough compared the absence of high- level, serving U.S. officials at the event to "dropping the key in the box and slipping away in the night."

"It's a mistake and a great shame," McCullough said.

An engineering marvel, an economic engine
    The 1977 treaties cede the 50-mile long canal and the surrounding Canal Zone to Panama. Leaving means closing U.S. military bases, which will cost Panamanians 18,000 jobs.

When opened, the passage cut the sailing time from New York to San Francisco in half. About 14,000 ships pass through the canal every year, steered by Panamanian or U.S. pilots. Shipping companies pay $540 million in tolls annually -- and that concerns some observers, who fear Panamanian leaders may not be able to resist the temptation to turn the waterway into a cash cow and a source of patronage.

"The shipping community wants to have some comfort that the transfer will
    be a seamless one and that Panamanian authorities have seized their responsibility to run the canal in a professional way," said William O'Neill, secretary-general of the International Maritime Organization.

Moscoso's government has promised to keep partisan politics out of canal business. The canal will be run by the Canal Authority, created by agreement among all Panamanian parties.

Since the 20-year process began, the number of Panamanians employed by the canal has grown to nearly all the 8,000 employees needed to run the waterway. "We have shown throughout the years that Panamanians can operate the canal efficiently," Aleman said.

U.S. critics warn of Chinese influence
    U.S. military planners long considered the canal a strategic point. That has fueled last-ditch opposition to the handover among American conservatives, who never liked the idea in the first place. Now, some of them are warning that the waterway will fall under communist Chinese control after U.S. involvement ends.

Critics like Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-California, say Hong Kong-based Hutchison Whampoa's port concession at both ends of the channel means China can gain control over the canal.

"If we do nothing, Mr. Chairman, within a decade, the communist Chinese
    regime ... will dominate the tiny country of Panama, and will control the

Panama Canal," Rohrabacher said. "We cannot afford that to happen. This
    is not in the interest of the United States, and it would be a severe compromise of our national security."

Panamanian officials and canal managers say that's untrue.

But Hutchison Whampoa is a publicly traded company that runs 17 port facilities, including Britain's three largest. Its top manager in Panama is British; his deputy is American, and none of the company's 500 employees in Panama is Chinese.

"They have no control over the Panama Canal," said Jorge Quijano, director
    of maritime operations for the Panama Canal Commission. "They need our
    pilots to get through our channels to get to their ports."

Correspondent Martin Savidge and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Clinton's Chinagate and other Treason
    CLINTON OPENS U.S. TO RUSSIA AND CHINA:
    On May 13, 1997, Defense Secretary Cohen signed a military cooperation agreement with Russia. Under the agreement, U.S. and Russian forces would work together on over 100 exercises in 1997 alone…..
    ALLOWING RUSSIANS TO PHOTOGRAPH U.S. MILITARY BASES:
    Under the Open Skies Treaty, Russian military planes began flying over and photographing U.S. military bases last year. Chinese military aircraft will be allowed to fly over U.S. military bases beginning in 1999. Information Russia and China obtain from these flyovers would be invaluable if they ever attack the US.
    GIVES CONTROL OF THE PANAMA CANAL TO CHINA: …
    President Clinton has allowed a company controlled by Chinese communists—Hutchinson-Whampoa Ltd.—to take control of the Canal cities at both ends of the Canal. Further, under Panamanian Law #5, Hutchinson-Whampoa will determine which ships are allowed to enter the Canal and many of the Canal's operations. This is utterly absurd and frightening….
    U.S. SELLS STRATEGIC WEAPONS TECHNOLOGY TO CHINA: On March 23, 1998, The Washington Times revealed a secret Clinton Administration proposal to sell advanced missile technology to China. Under Clinton, 47 supercomputers have been sold to China, most for use by the Red Army—the butchers of Tibet and Tiananmen Square. These U.S. computers can be used to target nuclear missiles at America and to build design new and more powerful nuclear weapons…." ("China and Russia Prepare for War - Part 2," Christopher Ruddy, March 10, 1999)

National security at great risk
    Not content with collaborating with the enemies of the United States, Clinton (once quoted as saying, "I loathe the military and all it stands for") has scraped his very own military to such a degree that it will take years to recover:

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    I think you missed my joke...
    Michael says I have my joke gene turned off (or something).

I'm pretty swamped today - we're doing upgrades and nothing is working, so we're all pretty frustrated so I am not paying 100% of my attention to anything at this point.

haha

(I got the 'joke" but wasn't sure if others knew about Carter doing that).
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Well... I'm doing physical upgrades. I'm removing boards from a panel, replacing some boards and then trying to restart. But there's more to it than that and we had to find the thing that isn't working.

We've narrowed it down but, we've been on the phone with the Labs in CA now about 3 dozen times. They are pretty confused and confounded at this point.

This stuff has been tested and should work. And it doesn't.

I should have walked in, removed one board, put in another, called a partner and said "Ok, change configuration" and been online in about an hour.

At this point it's been two solid work days.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Well...*I* am the guy doing the upgrades. lol

THEY don't have a choice in this. hahaha. It's all hardware stuff (mostly) at the moment though.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

It's not a hardware problem.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I was always under the impression that Bubba was the one who gave up the panama canal.

Thanks

I believe, but not 100% postive on this that it happened under Clinton - the refusal to sign a new contract, and it let out actually under Bush at that point. I might have it wrong. Perhaps it was Clinton and the Second Bush.

It's been a long time ago, and more rum than I remember too.

/chuckles

(Clinton, Carter... Obama... who knows?)
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    I believe, but not 100% postive on this that it happened under Clinton - the refusal to sign a new contract, and it let out actually under Bush at that point. I might have it wrong. Perhaps it was Clinton and the Second Bush.

It's been a long time ago, and more rum than I remember too.

/chuckles

(Clinton, Carter... Obama... who knows?)
    I'm trying to find my old copy of "The China Deception" by Bill Gertz, at least I think that's what its called. If I remember correctly, he lays out a strong case blaming Clinton. It's been a long time since I've read it though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    This stuff has been tested and should work. And it doesn't.

I should have walked in, removed one board, put in another, called a partner and said "Ok, change configuration" and been online in about an hour.

At this point it's been two solid work days.
    Funny how that works isn't it?

"Oh yeah, sure, it'll work. Just follow the steps in the cookbook. We've tried it dozens of times!"

Thread Information