Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird! Satellite out....

Thanks

Default Weird! Satellite out....

We just took a "hit" on the satellite at work.

There is a message now from Direct TV stating....

"All satellite signals are subject to interference from the sun. Those outages happen in the Spring and Fall. This outage will have no lasting effect on your DirectTV(R) System. Your picture will return in a few moments."

I have never seen this before when I had DTV. I've never seen it here.

Anyone seen anything happen elsewhere...?????
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Weird!

satellite signal back, right in the middle of interview....

Never seen this before
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

NOAA Scales Activity
    Range 1 (minor) to 5 (extreme)
    NOAA Scale Past 24 hrs Current
    Geomagnetic Storms
    Solar Radiation Storms
    Radio Blackouts
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Ok. guys that was weird as hell.

I'm "concerned".

No space weather.

Yet, DTV says "The sun is at fault".

WTF????
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Solar flare warning for SA

Article By: Andrea van Wyk
    Mon, 07 Mar 2011 2:41

The Hermanus Space Weather Warning Centre (SWWC) on Sunday said a large solar flare was currently being experienced in South Africa. The solar flare would result in higher radiation levels from the sun.

SWWC’s forecaster Kobus Olckers said people should be careful when they go outside.

"People must wear high sunscreen factor at the moment or preferably go shopping," he said.
    A powerful solar flare could overwhelm high-voltage transformers with electrical currents and short-circuit energy grids, with one such event in 1989 disrupting power across the Canadian province of Quebec.
    However, solar flares are nothing new, with the first major solar flare being recorded by British astronomer Richard Carrington in 1859.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Intense and debilitating solar storm could hit Earth anytime now

Astronomers are visualizing a scenario where the space storm could severely damage communications satellites, ground aircraft and trigger blackouts, which could cause losses to the tune of billions of dollars.
    Source: (AHN) Reporter: AHN Staff
    Location: London, United Kingdom Published: February 23, 2011 07:16 am EST
    Topics: Science And Technology, Natural Science, Astronomy, Disaster And Accident, Disaster
    A ferocious solar storm could hit the Earth anytime now and make life miserable for mankind, astronomers monitoring Sun's activities said Tuesday.
    As the Sun enters its "most active" phase in decades, the solar storm --- tiny charged X-ray or ultraviolet particles emanating from the Sun's surface --- could cause major disruptions in communication and satellite channels besides interfering with sophisticate electronic gadgetry.
    Astronomers are visualizing a scenario where the space storm could severely damage communications satellites, ground aircraft and trigger blackouts, which could cause losses to the tune of billions of dollars.
    Speaking at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) annual conclave in Washington, the chief scientific advisor of Britain, Professor John Beddington, said the unpredictability of the space weather had to be taken seriously, adding that a relatively calm phase was no guarantee that the phenomena would not hit the earth hard in the future.
    A leading British daily, the Daily Mail, reported Tuesday that heightened solar activity "would send waves of radiation and charged particles to Earth", which would impair satellite systems, airline navigation and communication networks.
    The newspaper reported that in a worst-case scenario, even the stock markets could take a huge beating and power-cuts could last for months.
    Scientists, monitoring the situation, say that the possibility of space interference was at its peak now as the Sun was entering "the most active period of its 11-year natural cycle". The next phase of heightened activity would come in 2013.
    Professor Beddington said that the over-reliance to sophisticated electronic gadgetry had made mankind extremely vulnerable to such, adding that be it the smart grid in the electricity systems or the global positioning system (GPS) all were vulnerable to the solar storm.
    He said the need of the hour was to be able to predict the phenomena much in advance so that precautionary measures could be taken.
    Speaking on similar lines, the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration chief, Jane Lubchenco, said the catchword was prediction and preparation.

Read more: http://www.allheadlinenews.com/brief...#ixzz1FwFeJl8a
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Default Re: Weird! Satellite out....

And monkeys could exit my posterior and take flight!

Yeah, Yeah, I know, it is possible for a solar storm to hit us pretty hard and if it's at the wrong time of year, it can be even worse. I think that the problems really will only occur during peak sunspot times. As to the Sat problem...
    Rick...your answer is here: http://www.spaceweather.com/

EQUINOX SUN OUTAGES: Many readers reported an intermittent loss of satellite TV reception over the weekend. Was the sun to blame? Yes and no. Senior forecaster Bill Murtagh of NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center explains: "It is likely that the sun caused the problem, but not because of solar flares. Now is the time of year for the 'equinox conjunction,' when the sun lines up with the satellite and the receiving satellite dish. When this happens, radio interference from the sun competes with signals from the satellite and can create noise levels several decibels higher than normal. The problem, which typically persists for 5 to 15 minutes, is referred to as a 'sun outage' and is often confused with sunspot or solar flare activity."
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post

And monkeys could exit my posterior and take flight!

Yeah, Yeah, I know, it is possible for a solar storm to hit us pretty hard and if it's at the wrong time of year, it can be even worse. I think that the problems really will only occur during peak sunspot times. As to the Sat problem...
    Rick...your answer is here: http://www.spaceweather.com/

EQUINOX SUN OUTAGES: Many readers reported an intermittent loss of satellite TV reception over the weekend. Was the sun to blame? Yes and no. Senior forecaster Bill Murtagh of NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center explains: "It is likely that the sun caused the problem, but not because of solar flares. Now is the time of year for the 'equinox conjunction,' when the sun lines up with the satellite and the receiving satellite dish. When this happens, radio interference from the sun competes with signals from the satellite and can create noise levels several decibels higher than normal. The problem, which typically persists for 5 to 15 minutes, is referred to as a 'sun outage' and is often confused with sunspot or solar flare activity."
    I am more likely to believe monkeys flying out of your ass than that explanation.

Here's why.....

You have a dish on your roof, it's aimed at the satellite, which is a geosynchronous craft floating in space.

Ok, you're collecting the signal from the satellite which is aimed downward.

They are transmitting UP to the satellite and it's acting as a relay.

So here's my issue.....

the tv station(s) goes away.... because it's "too noisy"? And yet, they continued to broadcast that exact message I posted originally without ANY INTERFERENCE?

Utter bullshit and lies on their part.

I'm a radio expert. lol They are lying.
    Libertatem Prius!

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Our Cable company has current issues with Sat feeds where the picture will freeze, then decode again after the stall and run again.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

btw, going to FIO'S as soon as they finish building it here. Almost done too. Here that Commiecast?

Thanks

What's that Phil? And by the way, side note, not related...

everyone has been asking about you at home and around Colorado. When you stopping in online again?

The Guild misses you.

On the other hand, not that many have been on lately again for some reason.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I have Dish Network, no problems here. Malsua's explanation makes sense if the receiver has standard explanations for common problems. In other words the message about the sun wasn't being broadcast, it came from your receiver when the problem started.

Thanks

No, negative. The message was playing music, and it was fed via satellite.

I know what I saw.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

So mr Satellite conspiracy man...what do you think it is if not the Occam's solution?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Well... it wasn't because the signal was out. lol

I don't really know what happened. I don't really care.

But the box has no internal stuff to do what catfish said. Sorry.... there was a signal there. Know how I know? The guys went to work on it here, disconnected the antenna connections for a moment and we got "snow". Imagine that! No signal, you get ... well, nothing.

LOL

There WAS a signal coming down from the satellite so the sun thing was bullshit.

I have a C band dish in my back yard, and I've aimed it at everything from Jupiter, to supernovas, to various satellites. The sun, and Jupiter put out noise, static, certainly. But you know what? NONE of those signals wipe out the satellite signals.

Unless we're hit with a CME that toasts the satcom, then there was no "equinox loss of signal".
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Wanna know what else? Tell you what, you guys think this one over.

When are the equinoxes?

Riddle me that one.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    Wanna know what else? Tell you what, you guys think this one over.

When are the equinoxes?

Riddle me that one.

March 20 or 21 and September 22 or 23. It depends on the year.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Very good.

Basically such an outage can occur "daily" for a couple of minutes for a few days. But we're not that close to the equinox. I mean such an outage were it to occur should happen for 3-4 days on either side of when the sun is exactly above the equator.

Anyway - I guess my point is that it really isn't important whether it was an "outage" because the damned satellite was still broadcasting a signal. The techs checked the signal strength.

You guys DO realize that not only do I know what I'm talking about on this, that I WORK with a lot of people who work on satellite systems here. There are dishes everywhere. LOL

I find it odd that a signal is present from a satellite when it's supposed to be "out".
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I don't wish to cause a panic or anything but we need to prepare for
    MOONAGEDDON!

Thanks

Ryan, damnit, I've been doing my level best to keep that quiet.....
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information