Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All things Zombies except for that other thread

Thanks

Default All things Zombies except for that other thread

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but I thought it important to have a thread to talk about everything else concerning zombies.

I just watched a kick ass French zombie movie called "The Horde". It contains at least one thing I've never seen in a zombie movie, fist fights, against the zombies. I can't describe it, it has to be seen. Very cool movie, got it off netflix.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: All things Zombies except for that other thread

Heya Cat! I am going to be watching it in a bit. I had this one as a watch and so I will be. Posting about my thought later.

Thanks

There was one very disturbing scene, I chalked it up to being French, could have done without it. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it. Otherwise very cool.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Funny you should mention The Horde. I watched it a couple weeks ago myself.

Which version did you watch? English dubbed or English subbed?

I ask because the English dubbed version leaves out some of the back story. It's not vital back story but it adds to character development.

Thanks

I always watch the subtitles. Dubbed does nothing but ruin the movie for me. I'm glad you saw it because you can probably tell me what kind of gun the old dude had towards the end. Was that an MG-42? When he was in the alley it reminded me of Nazi zombies on call of duty.

Thanks

I'd have to go back and look to be 100% but I'm pretty sure it was a Browning M1919 .30 machine gun.

Thanks

Oops, I was mistaken.

IMFDB says it was an AA-52.

New one for me. Never even heard of it before! LOL!

Thanks

Ok, watched it. As a fan of foreign movies I do think this was a great Zombie movie as it follows a different pattern than the current Hollywood template. Actually, that is why I tend to watch more foreign movies since cookie cutter pattern movies and tv are way too common.

The version I watched was subtitles as well because as catfish points out, dubs lose something in translation. I prefer literal translations from subs, than dubs that change the literal meaning. I can cite several instances where this is true.

That all said, it was great to see actual hand to hand zombie combat. Not just a fast snub, but 'hardcore' (movie line wink wink) fighting. The end scene was amazingly cool too after the survivors are out. Duty was followed despite no infrastructure and basically TSHTF.

This movie also is more to what I see occurring if such a thing really were to pass.

Glad I bumped it up on my watch list.

catfish, I am a tad curious what scene you meant that was "chalked up to being French". I suspect it was the 2nd floor teacher, turned zombie, who carried the head. If so, I agree it was a little bizarre. Not expected, which I find refreshing, but probably could have been left out of the script as it was pretty out of place for our thoughts and society here. So suggesting it be chalked to being French may be the right idea and a pass. No doubt, if Fox Searchlight domesticates it, it will be cut out.

Since I mention it, I like that Searchlight brings movies over from other countries, but they do alter titles, sometimes a lot. Still, I do note that even butchering a 3 hour movie to 1.5 hour one they do a good job with continuity and a fast watch, but that also takes from theater quality in some cases.

I will dig out a title I bought years ago that was Searchlight as I bought it here and exactly the scenario I mention above. The full movie filled in much more and even added new loops completely absent from the adapted version.

Thanks

Yeah, I was fairly certain it wasn't a Browning, other than that it was kind of hard to tell. When he opened up with it in that alley I couldn't help but chuckle, that's how you kill some zombies.

Phil, yeah that whole scene with the female zombie, kind of gross. After thinking about it though I may have over reacted to it, definitely not something you see in an American movie that's for sure. And you are right, that's one of the main reasons I love foreign films as well.

Overall, a very cool movie, with several things unseen before in zombie movies. A possible re-defining of the genre not seen since "28 Days Later" and Zack Snyder's "Dawn of the Dead", 2 movies I also highly recommend.

Thanks

Glad to hear you both watched the subbed version. The first time I watched the subbed version it had terrible, machine translation subtitles. It was almost unwatchable.

That's when I watched the dubbed version. While the speech was better, it left out the backstory of Aurore's relationship and, of course, it was dubbed!

I decided that the only proper course of action was to transcribe the English dubbing into the subbed version. Made a HUGE difference as to the watchability of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Yeah, I was fairly certain it wasn't a Browning, other than that it was kind of hard to tell. When he opened up with it in that alley I couldn't help but chuckle, that's how you kill some zombies.
    Had a chance to think about it and it dawned on me that I thought it might be a Browning because of this shot with the barrel shroud that looked just like one:

In going back and getting that screen shot, I noticed I had missed this shot:

Clearly not a Browning.

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Zack Snyder's "Dawn of the Dead"
    Hands down the best zombie movie out there, in my opinion. To this day I'm disappointed there wasn't some sort of sequel either with the same cast later on or with another cast at the same time as the first was occurring.

Thanks

The next thing I'd like to recommend is a book called "World War Z" by Max Brooks, son of Mel. It's a fascinating read in the same vein as Studs Terkel's oral history of WWII. A man is working for the UN after the zombie war, compiling people's stories of before, during and after the war is pretty much over.

The author takes a realistic approach and treats the material seriously, something I don't think I've seen in this genre before. The book starts with the outbreak and then moves to full blown pandemic as the world tries to deal with the problem. Some countries figure it out sooner than others and take their own precautions while others struggle with whats taking place. Eventually a plan is figured out and humans go on the offensive.

In addition to the social, political and economic problems the book covers, it also talks about weapons and tactics, what works and what doesn't. It also talks about the future of mankind and how they are studying zombies so this doesn't happen in the future(Think zombie tracking underwater).

Overall, another great addition to the zombie genre, extremely addictive reading. He has written some other zombie books but I haven't read them yet, but would love feedback if others have.

Thanks

You know, Ving Rhames was in "Day of the Dead", not a sequel but a very low budget movie. I was always disappointed that there wasn't some sort of a sequel as well. At the end of Dawn they kinda did that found footage thing that I guess was supposed to wrap things up in a neat little package.

28 Days had the sequel "28 Weeks Later", not as good as the first in my opinion. I also hear there is a "28 Months Later", have to check on the date though.

Thanks

28 months later is due out in 2013, according to imdb.

Check out the Rec 2 Trailer though. Kind of a cloverfield type filming IMO.

Thanks

So does Rec2 take place right after Rec in the same building? If I remember correctly, the first one was a found footage film as well.

Thanks

I found this little tidbit over on blastr.com

The CW
    AWAKENING
    Stars: Brian Hallisay (Priviledged), Lucy Griffiths (Robin Hood), Meredith Hagner (Lights Out) and Lost's Titus Welliver.
    Log Line: Two combative sisters "come of age amid the beginning of a zombie uprising." From partners Bill Laurin and Glenn Davis (The Listener). David Van Ancken (The Vampire Diaries) directs the pilot.
    What we like about Awakening: The CW knows how to jump on a trend, and zombies are hot thanks to The Walking Dead. It's a bunch of bright, pretty stars, with Welliver around to add some punch to the cast.

http://blastr.com/2011/03/heres-tv-pilots-that-we-m.php

Thanks

A little news on the World War Z film adaptation. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it.

James Badge Dale Enlists for World War Z

James Badge Dale, best known for starring in the TV miniseries "The Pacific," has joined the cast of Marc Forster's World War Z, Variety reports.

Based on the novel by Max Brooks, the film is about a worldwide infestation of flesh-eating zombies. Brooks -- the son of Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft -- wrote a detailed tome in which a researcher for the U.N. Postwar Commission interviews survivors from countries all over the world 10 years after the crisis to gather a first-person post-mortem on a war that obliterated every country on the map.

Brad Pitt is already attached to star in the Paramount Pictures film as the U.N. researcher. Badge Dale would play a military officer who is one of the earliest to come up against the threat of the undead. Mireille Enos and Anthony Mackie are both said to be in talks for roles as well with the film looking to go into production immediately for a summer 2012 release.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78557

Thanks

NKY Road Sign Hacked To Warn Of Zombies
    June 24, 2011

A portable road sign in northern Kentucky had a slightly different warning message for motorists on Thursday.

The sign near the southbound Kentucky 18 exit on southbound Interstate 71/75 read "Nightly lane closures, zombies ahead" on Thursday morning.

Kentucky Transportation Cabinet spokeswoman Nancy Wood told News 5 that the sign was apparently hacked. It usually reads "Nightly lane closures, road work ahead."

Wood said the Transportation Cabinet learned about the new message Thursday morning and turned it off until it could be reset. The sign is controlled remotely.

The prank has been used on other similar signs across the country, many of which are controlled by a computer built into the base of the sign itself.

Wood said officials are not amused by the prank. But on Friday, the District 6 Facebook status read "There are No Zombies working here!!"

Thanks

hehehehehehe
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Is it beginning?!?!

Miami Police Shoot, Kill Naked Man Who Was 'Eating' Face Of Another Man
    May 26, 2012

One man was shot to death by Miami police, and another man is fighting for his life after he was attacked and his face allegedly half eaten, by a naked man on the MacArthur Causeway off ramp, police said.

The bloodshed began about 2 p.m. when a series of gunshots were heard on the ramp, which is along NE 13th Street, just south of The Miami Herald building. Witnesses said a woman saw the two men fighting and flagged down a police officer who was in the area.

The officer, who has not been identified, approached and saw that the naked man was actually chewing the other man’s head, according to witnesses. The officer ordered the naked man to back away, and when he continued the assault, the officer shot him. The attacker continued to eat the man, despite being shot, forcing the officer to continue firing. Witnesses said they heard at least a half dozen shots.

Miami police were on the scene, which was just south of The Miami Herald building on Biscayne Boulevard. The naked man who was killed lay face down on the pedestrian walkway just below the newspaper’s two-story parking garage. Police requested The Herald’s video surveillance tapes.

The other man was transported to the hospital with critical injuries, according to police. Their identities were not released.

The incident, which came as crowds descended upon South Beach for the annual Urban Beach Week hip-hop festival, snarled traffic on the causeway for several hours.

In a text message, Javier Ortiz, spokesman for Miami police’s Fraternal Order of Police, said the officer who fired the fatal shots was “a hero.”

“Based on the information provided, our Miami police officer is a hero and saved a life,’’ he said.

Sergeant Altarr Williams, supervisor of Miami police’s Homicide Unit, said a man doesn’t have to be armed to be dangerous.

“There are other ways to injure people,’’ Williams said. “Some people know martial arts, others are very strong and can kill you with their hands.’’

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

No kidding!!!

It's estimated over 50% of Americans are now on mind altering drugs.

When those prescribed drugs are no longer available, the zombies will be coming out of ever crack of society like an infestation of coach roaches. This doesn't even take into account the number of diatribe gangs and illegal drug users.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thread Information