Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Electrical Distribution System

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Default Basic Electrical Distribution System

Thanks

Default Re: Basic Electrical Distribution System

The pic and this narrative were done to provide a basic understand of electrical distribution systems that I generally install, maintain, train other personnel on, etc.

I’ll try to keep this short to preserve my fingers.

But if you have any questions, fell free ask.

I’m calling the above drawing a Modified One Line Drawing.

We use One Line Drawings all the time; they provide the functional relationship between different pieces of equipment. I added the word Modified because One Lines don’t provide voltages, names, etc. They do provide the Equipment Numbers, which are given to each piece of equipment. These Numbers are generally based on the floor the equipment is on, and either column intersections (letters and numbers), room numbers, etc.

The pic is a composite of the various jobs I’ve worked on.

All the numbers I’ll talk about: Voltage, amps, weight, etc. are real figures, but vary widely depending on the installation.

I’ll start by describing this system, then later walk through its functioning.

On the left top, you’ll see City Power. This is where the power initially comes into the job site, bldg., etc. It may originate from the city, county, etc.

The City owns that bldg. and its contents, and they are the ones who come to the jobsite and operate Breaker 1 (Brkr 1).

Switch gear and breakers.

The breakers in there weigh about 250 lbs., and are rated at 13.8KV, 1200 amps. They’re about 3’ x 3’ x 3’. They have motors in them. The motors compress springs (we call it charging). These springs are used to move the fingers of the breakers that make contact with the bus bar. Once the brkr is charged, it can be closed manually by pushing a switch, or by the CMC (later). The brkr closes extremely fast, and it is a loud, equipment shaking event. It is done this way to prevent electrical arcing. The closing mechanism is very strong; it will amputate fingers.

I mentioned CMC - control and monitoring circuits. Generally all swtch gear has this, and the voltages used are 120VAC, 24VDC, and/or 12VCD. This is a system used to control and monitor the brkrs, voltage, amps, HZ, etc. Brkrs talk to each other, and the entire system may be monitored at a remote location. It’s pretty damn elaborate.

Let’s talk about bus bars for a minute, as it applies to Peterle and my conversation in the Radiation thread. The yellow things in my drawing represent the bus. If you have ever looked at a panel at Home Depot, you’ll see 2 pieces of copper about 1/8” thick x 1’ long x 1” wide – this is the bus bar, or bus as we call them. The bus is what applies electricity to the brkr. If you ever see bus, DO NOT TOUCH IT as it may be energized.

In the swtch gear I work in, the bus comes in 8’ x 6” x ¾” sections. I’ve worked on swtch gear that was 52’ long, and they bolted 3 8’ sections of bus together. And they’re worth a fair amount of money.

The permanent generators are big, expensive things. At a previous job, the gens were 13.8KV, 1000 amps, burned 175 gallons of diesel per hour at max load, and cost a little over $1,000,000 each – and there were 24 of them. IIRC the max load for the system was 800 amps.

So how does it all work?

Start in the upper left corner where it says City Power, and follow the lines. Power enters the jobsite usually at 13.8KV.

The city supplies the power to the job site through Brkr 1.

Brkr 1 feeds Brkr 2 inside a swtch gear. Brkr 2 is the main brkr for that piece of gear. If you want to turn the power off for that piece of gear, open Brkr 2.

Now look at the lower left corner, and you’ll see a Permanent Generator – this generator supplies power in an emergency when City Power is stopped.

It works like this. The CMC sees there is city power to the system, so it stays open. When City Power stops for any reason, the CMC tells Brkr 1 and Brkr 2 to open to prevent back feed to the City’s grid. It also tells Brkr 3 and Brkr 4 to close, and for the Permanent Generator to come one. Then the generator is now supplying power.

Oops; looks like I screwed up the numbering and forgot the number 5.

So now to get power into the bldg. (from either the City or the Generator), we have to close Brkr 6.>>
    Brkr 6 feeds Brkr 7 in a swtch gear, which is the main Brkr for a 13.8KV to 277/480V transformer. This piece of gear is extremely elaborate, and I could talk at length about how it works, all the breakers, etc.

Previous job I was on this gear was 52’ long. It had a 13.8KV to 277/480 transformer on each end – each transformer weighed more than 16,000 lbs. The gear was fed twice on each end with 138.KV City Power, and had about 20 Brkrs of assorted ampacities .

I think you can follow the rest of the One Line. Again, ask questions if you have them.

Let’s talk about the Batteries and the Cooling Pump in the lower right.

The Batteries – we call them UPS – are designed to provide power when City Power and Perm Generator fails. They don’t last a long time, and IRRC the Japan battery system was designed to last 8 hrs. These systems are constantly charging, provided they have City, Generator, etc. going to them.>>
    Once City or Generator power is stopped to that panel, the batteries will start supplying power to that panel, and keep the Cooling Pump going.

UPS systems are complex and expensive.

Now look at Options 1, 2, and 3.

This is where a Temporary Gen could be attached to provide power when the City, Perm Gen, and Batteries have failed.

It could be attached anywhere in the system depending on what needs to keep running, voltages required, etc.

I basically have no idea what kind of problem they had when the article mentioned they couldn’t use the Temp Gens because the plugs didn’t match.

Say what?

The gens I use for these types of applications don’t use plugs. As Peterle mentioned, we use hydraulic lugs to attach the wires.

This is just an extremely abbreviated version of how these systems work, but maybe it’ll give you an idea of what's going on.

OK, my fingers are toast.

Ask them if you got them.
    Last edited by Backstop; March 23rd, 2011 at 14:32. Reason: New WP is killing me.

Thanks

So I have to cut the lines between brkr1 and 2, 3 and 4, and remove option lines 1,2,3 and 4 before I can safely get to most of the usable copper?

Heck I can hardly stand a carpet static spike these days, you just can't be too careful.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

That would probably be the smart move, yes.

Thanks

It would appear that you and Peterle are in the same line of work. A good friend of mine was a lineman for a good number of years. I have a lot of respect for you fellas who work with high voltage.

As for myself outside of installing some simple 110v outlets my knowledge of electrity is painfully lacking! I spent 2 years building and installing traffic control boxes. Turning stop lights from red to green is more challenging than one might think. I must admit I enjoyed my time as a "cabinet rat" quite a bit. One thing I learned was that a DC spike can be as painful as a 110v spike.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

I heard Backstop singing the other day, "I am a lineman for the county... and I drive the main road..."

Looked a lot like Glenn Campbell....

Or maybe it was Peterle singing....
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Just a comment Peterle, as I'm not a power production guy. I usually only use what's provides at my terminal end...

But remember European voltages are 230/240 50 hertz.

US is 110/120 60 hertz.

Maybe there is your discrepancy?
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I can't see his diagrams at work. /sigh
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    It would appear that you and Peterle are in the same line of work.
    Pretty close.

As Peterle mentioned down the page, he's the "city power."

I start my work where the city power ends.

I usually stop my work (look at the diagram) where the voltages gets stepped down from 13.8 to 480.

Earlier you mentioned pulling the wire out: good luck.

That wire is about 3/4" in diameter, inside 6" PVC, buried 8' below grade, and encased in concrete, and about 300' long. We call those duct banks.

You need specialized equipment to pull the wire in - we call those tuggers, and one that large is expensive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peterle Matteo View Post
    Oh...my...God!!!!!!

Backstop you want me to work even when i am home.
    Sad, ain't it?

HAHA!

The "city power" breaker one...is it groudable?
    Is it accesible to you?To the company?To both?
    Not sure if it's groundable or not.

I don't have access to it. When we need it open, I have call the City, schedule an outage, etc. The City is the one that opens it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    I heard Backstop singing the other day, "I am a lineman for the county... and I drive the main road..."

Looked a lot like Glenn Campbell....

Or maybe it was Peterle singing....
    If you saw animals and people running for their lives and to protect their ears, it was me.

Thanks

I have about one billion of question.

As you know i am the "city power" but i think i can put my hands on your system too.

In your dyagram you have : one line in,one generator,one secondary transformer 13,800 to 480,another transformer 480 to 208,batteries.

Did you forget a inverter?

Your generator output is 13,800v!!!
    About the "one line."

The One Line drawings we use just have one line.

Usually, there are multiple pipes, wires, etc.

A recent job had 40 6" PVC pipes running from the City to the first 4 swtch gears - 10 pipes per gear.

Plus, it would have taken me hours to draw.

Some of the Cummins gens (best ones, IMO) have built-in inverters.

For those that don't know: many gens produce DV voltage, and an inverter converts it to AC.
    Last edited by Backstop; March 23rd, 2011 at 19:21.

Thanks

Oops - people keep talking to me here.
    Last edited by Backstop; March 23rd, 2011 at 19:19.

Thanks

No,it is not too much difference between 110/120 60 hertz and 230/240 50 hertz
    when it cames to batteries connections.

His batteries are directly connected to:

Pumps,277/480v panel,277/480v breaker.

Batteries output can be 480v (or more) but it is different:it is not alternate current.

There must be an inverter somewhere.
    OK I misunderstood above.

The UPS systems (battery) have inverters; that is part of the package.

Also - voltages.

The transformers use are 13.8 to 4160 or 277/480.

Then other transformers go 277/480 to 120/208.

This is commercial stuff, and I've never seen anything where I work that uses 240.

If there was, we'd have to get a small transformer and make it.
    Last edited by Backstop; March 23rd, 2011 at 19:24.

Thanks

You can.

You must follow this:

If you want to put your hands HERE:

You must:

1.Open circuit breaker 6

2.Open circuit breaker 7

3.Close short circuit and ground in 7

4.Close short circuit and ground in 6

5.Put in place 2 mobile Earth connections ,because you cant be sure what is going on INSIDE breakers.

6.Put your hands between the 2 mobile Earth connections,cut,crimp...do whatever!
    Yeah, that would do it.

And don't forget to check voltage after you've grounded it, and before you touch it.

Never, ever, trust labels.

I shut down a HUGE chiller a while back because it was labeled wrong.

There was no way for me to check it as the entire gear was hot.

Thanks

A curiosity:

Aviano Airbase...they dont give us dyagrams.
    I worked on the biggest job we've ever done here in town.

If you look at Google maps, you can see a pic of the entire Utility yard, bldg, etc.

I could cut and pasted the pic, and point out every piece of gear out there, and you'd really get an idea of the scope.

Problem is, it is an NSA facility.

Don't think the gov would appreciate me doing that.

Although, anyone with electrical experience or Intel buffs could figure it out.

Thanks

Yep Peterle; your one lines look just about like ours.

Except I can read mine...HAHA!

Thanks

Makes sense.

And again, my work starts on the wires that leave that stuff.

Thanks

Interesting stuff, I wish I knew more about all the distribution equipment but I only work on 480 down (maintenance electrician) mostly troubleshooting control circuits. I am actually a licensed operating engineer for turbines but I don't do that, so my license just sits....probably a mistake.

Cool pics though, I could look at that stuff all day.

Thanks

really tiny UPS there... lol WISH I could show you all a picture of mine.

/chuckles
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information