Since many on this board are around the same age, I would be interested to hear if anyone remembers their experiences of the time? Here is what I recall,

October of 62. I was 9 years old. We did not have color TV yet. It was a time of model planes and cars. Girls were begining to hold interest, but I was still more interested in building airplane models. I had recieved a crystal radio that Christmas and I remember being very excited when I was able to find the 2nd station.

I wish I had paid more attention to my parents expressions when President Kennedy came on TV and announced that Cuba had missles. I do remember it a little strange how serious and quite my Dad was that evening.

Another thing that sticks with me even today was going for a family drive and having to wait for a train to cross. It seemed to take forever and I was amazed to see Army tanks on it. Years later I realized they were headed south, probably to the gulf coast. To this day I remember the look in Dad's eye. It was at that minute it all became real to me. That night my folks told me and my sisters that we might take a week out of school and have and early vacation with my Aunt in Claremore Oklahoma. At the time we were all elated at the prospect of no school. Again, years later I realized we were right in the middle of ICBM central. Whiteman AFB was the command center for all the Minuteman sites in this area. I know in this county where 4 of the sites were.

Even through all this my Dad continued to go to work every day. I don't recall any panic or urgenecy to catch the evening news, but I am sure there must have been.

That is about all I remember except being bummed out when we found out we were not taking an early vacation and had to continue with education.

Any takers?