Thread: Emergency Training For US Vets and Reserves?

Thanks

Default Emergency Training For US Vets and Reserves?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d64_1304555203

I know I may not get any information on this, but this guy posted a video blog about inactive reserve units being activated. Interesting.

Yes, I know most of you will probably disagree with this guy's commentary (I mostly do). I'm just curious as to what his chatter is for. Something tells me I'm going to hear a "this is normal response to high alert levels".

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Default Re: Emergency Training For US Vets and Reserves?

Last edited by Backstop; May 6th, 2011 at 02:20.

Thanks

i need to see the video. Can anyone capture it and mail it to me ?
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Can you view plain FLV video files?

Thanks

No. I need files that I can view with windows media (and I think quicktime) here at work. I can wait til I get home, assuming I can remember that long....
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Rick,
    Check your email. I think I've got it in a format you can view and should be small enough.

Thanks

Thanks got it, viewed it.

About five years ago, perhaps six, this exact same issue came up. Bush was President at the time, and I seem to remember threads here on this site and perhaps over on Anomalies about it.

Now.. some facts.

1) The man was a four year guy.

2) I was a "lifer" (26 years).

3) All personnel (when I signed up) were required to fulfill "a 6 year commitment upon discharge". I'll explain this later.

4) The time this happened before a letter was going around stating that there was going to be an emergency recall of folks on inactive reserve status. That never materialized (it was under Bush and it was the anti-Bush people who generated the hype over the whole thing).

I served fourteen years of active duty. A little under one going to Basic and then technical school, then five years to the day at the 3rd Combat Communications Group at Tinker, AFB Ok. In April 1982 I PCSed to the White House Communications Agency where I served for eight more years (April 82 through November 89) - just shy of eight I guess.

I exited the service and joined the Active Reserves and served for the next 12 years at Peterson, AFB in both the IMA program and then later the active Reserves as both Assistant NCOIC and later NCOIC of the 302nd Tactical Airlift Wings communications flight.

I currently do not have any "outstanding" reserve duty to serve, I'm over 46 (and it might be 52 now as the oldest age for military duty) - but I'm certainly over the age of militia by US code (16-42).

Now - I brought all this up so anyone who doesn't know my background can know it. I'm a trained communications officer (non commissioned of course) and I am qualified to lead people on most comm systems, installation and so forth. If they are going to recall ANYONE it will be people who they can get to train the younger folks. I was a college teacher for 6 years (teaching electronics).

Basically - unless and until I actually see a set of orders for someone being "recalled" who is in the inactive reserves, this is nonsense. The government can NOT do this unless they institute a draft.

No draft has been instituted as of this time.

About the reserve thing... it's called "IRR" or Inactive Ready Reserves. The Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) is a category of the Ready Reserve of the Reserve Component of the Armed Forces of the United States composed of former active duty or reserve military personnel, and is authorized under 10 U.S.C. ch. 1005. As of 22 June 2004, the IRR had approximately 112,000 members (does not include all service IRR populations) composed of enlisted personnel and officers, with more than 200 Military Occupational Specialties are represented, including combat arms, combat support, and combat service support.

An individual assigned to the IRR receives no pay and is not obligated to drill, conduct annual training, or participate in any military activities (except for periodic Muster activities) until activated by Presidential Reserve Callup Authority. Individuals who are assigned to an "Inactive Status" are entitled to limited benefits. These benefits include: Entitlement to a Military ID Card, ID Cards for their dependents, PX/BX (Exchange) benefits, Commissary benefits, and MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) Benefits. (Note: These benefits are only available to Inactive Members in the "CONUS" 48 States.) An individual assigned to the IRR may receive pay and full benefits (including medical care and dental care for member and dependents) for voluntarily performing specific types of active duty. Because members of the IRR rarely serve on extended active duty and are not retired from military service, most are not eligible for medical care from DoD or VA. Currently, neither DoD nor VA has responsibility for health care of IRR members.

The above two paragraphs are directly from a wikipedia entry and are accurate to a point. Most personnel who exit the USAF or other services do NOT RECEIVE any benefits at all, do not have ID cards, and are not required to attend training, formations or any other activities whatsoever.

Those of us who RETIRE (as I did effect August 5th 2002) receive a "Retired Reserves" ID card. Those who retire from active duty receive a green Retired Active duty card.

Those persons are entitled to various other services (dental and medical, which they now must pay something for each month) and those of us (like me) who are retired reserves will not draw retirement pay until age 60 on your birthday. We do NOT have access to medical and dental services until age 60.

They also may not call us back except under extreme circumstances (and most of us would likely volunteer if this country were attacked again).

For call up, the following information applies:

Callup Authority and Activation

"Presidential Reserve Callup Authority" (PRCA) is a provision of a public law (US Code, Title 10 (DOD), section 12304) that provides the President a means to activate, without a declaration of national emergency, not more than 200,000 members of the Selected Reserve and the Individual Ready Reserve (of whom not more than 30,000 may be members of the Individual Ready Reserve), for not more than 400 days to meet the support requirements of any operational mission. Members called under this provision may not be used for disaster relief or to suppress insurrection.

This authority has particular utility when used in circumstances in which the escalatory national or international signals of partial or full mobilization would be undesirable. Forces available under this authority can provide a tailored, limited-scope, deterrent or operational response, or may be used as a precursor to any subsequent mobilization.[2]

When activated by Presidential Reserve Callup Authority, soldiers are required to follow the activation instructions contained in Army Regulation 135-91 specifying that members of the IRR can be required to join an Army Reserve unit if they are statutorily obligated and have a skill needed by the Army. Reserve soldiers are normally obligated to serve up to two years active duty, a requirement that is waiverable by the individual soldier, mission constraints, or the needs of the Army.

All highlighting is mine.....

Activations in the War on Terror

Until the War on Terror, members of the Individual Ready Reserve had not been called up since Operation Desert Storm.[3] A major difficulty in activating the IRR stems from the fact that many of its members, typically those from the junior enlisted ranks, are unaware that they are even in the military. This results from such members typically being informed that they are "discharged" upon release from active duty when in fact they have been transferred to the inactive reserves. To solve this situation, many military separation transition courses now spend additional time explaining the nature of the inactive reserve. As of 2005, the military also began to enact "IRR Musters" which were once a year occurrences where an IRR member would be required to report to a military base, confirm their personal and contact information, and sign acknowledgment paperwork that they were members of the IRR.

The military has encountered isolated incidents of IRR members who "disappear" and cannot be located or IRR members who refuse to mobilize, stating they were advised that they were "out of the military". This normally has little impact on benefits obtained following release from active duty, but can lead to a less-than-honorable discharge from the reserves.

All of the above said, I will say that most likely this guy has heard "rumors" and hasn't spoken directly to the individual that received the "orders" (likely) and it is UNLIKELY anyone received orders at all.

I get from his demeanor and tone that he is an anti-war type, spend a total of four years in service and probably hated every, single second of it. He's attempting, in my opinion to incite people to fear or worse - and nothing whatsoever will come of this Youtube post. Nothing.

Honest, much ado about nada....

Of course I might be wrong, and something might be in the works - but given the world situation, the Iran nuclear plant online, Russians testing it, Israel working on preparations to take it out if necessary, the discord in the Middle East, the take down of Bin Laden and the overt attempts at establishment of Communism in our OWN country - I won't be surprised at ANYTHING that might happen in the coming months and year.

Given the fact I want to retire - I know someone is gonna try to fuck it up for me and my wife.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Here's an older blog about this stuff. Note the date on the top...

http://camknows.blogspot.com/2010/07...ve-muster.html

In May, I got a packet in the mail with my muster orders and bundle of paperwork that I had to complete. I basically needed to update my personal information. Most of it was pretty current, but I did have a couple changes. I also had to fill out a medical screening survey. My orders told me to report to the base theatre at McChord Air Force Base on June 12th. It also told me that I was going to be paid for my time that day and the pay was pretty decent.
    So sometimes they call folks in to check their uniforms. At one point, I had to maintain uniforms as well - even though I was not participating in the Reserves for a few months due to classes and college courses.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

This one is from 2004:

RR Call-Up Scam

James Joyner · Wednesday, May 19, 2004 · 45 Comments
    As I suspected–and to the relief of a surprising number of people who found this post and used its comments section as a discussion board–military recruiters were using the news that some members of the Individual Ready Reserve might be involuntarily activated to frighten people into re-enlisting.
    Army does about-face on call-up readiness

Thousands of recent U.S. Army veterans nationwide were told to choose by Monday a new assignment in the Army Reserve or National Guard — meaning a potential return to active duty — or the military would decide for them. The Army now says the order was a mistake. The consequence of the error appears to be a sharp increase in enlistments in Oregon and elsewhere by reservists who feared being assigned a unit without their consent. They face possible deployment to the Middle East.
    Army Reserve officials said the order issued in early May prompted a flood of calls from confused veterans, who are among the estimated 118,000 reservists on inactive status. The Pentagon is not yet forcing re-enlistments but is “screening” inactive reservists for possible call-up, a spokeswoman said.
    Nonetheless, e-mails and phone calls from military recruiters went out this month warning veterans that they could be involuntarily placed in active Army Reserve units. That shocked some Oregon reservists.
    “I started crying and said, ‘I’m not doing this,’ ” said Carissa Jenkins, 22, of Keizer, who was discharged from active Army duty in January 2003. “I have a baby, a husband. All my values have changed.”
    Jenkins said she joined the Oregon National Guard last week to keep from going back to the regular Army. Between 3,500 and 5,000 inactive reservists are in Oregon and Washington.
    “It was something I did not want to do,” Jenkins said.
    Whether soldiers who had signed up under the mistaken deadline would be released from their commitment was unclear Tuesday.
    The military is reaching into the ranks of the Individual Ready Reserve because of the approximately 135,000 soldiers in Iraq, as well as other assignments around the globe. Soldiers in the ready reserve are subject to involuntary recall for a period of as long as four years after leaving active duty.
    In Oregon, National Guard recruiters contacted soldiers on ready reserve after hearing of the Army orders to choose a unit by May 17 or face mandatory assignment.
    It proved a recruiting boon.
    Capt. Mike Braibish of the Oregon National Guard said that since Thursday, 107 ready reserve soldiers joined active National Guard units in Oregon. Normally, no more than a dozen such individuals would have signed up with Guard units in that time frame, he said.
    “People are making a choice where they want to be assigned,” he said.
    In the past week, 1,063 inactive Army reservists across the country have joined active reserve units, an Army spokeswoman said. Although comparative figures for the prior week were not available late Tuesday, “That’s a larger number than we usually have,” said Julia Collins, a civilian public affairs official for the U.S. Army Human Resources Command in St. Louis.
    Obviously, any IRR members who were tricked into extending their service commitments ought be released without hesitation. Further, there needs to be an investigation into what prompted this fiasco to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Since this is such a popular topic for those affected, the remainder of the article is pasted below:

News of the Army’s move on ready reserves blindsided senior members of Congress, including John Warner, R-Va., chairman of Senate Armed Services Committee. Senators unaware of plan
    Several members of the committee said they were not told of the order, despite being briefed on the Iraq war separately on Tuesday by Vice President Dick Cheney and Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz.
    “Not aware of it,” Warner told The Oregonian after Cheney met Tuesday with Senate Republicans over lunch. Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, said he also was unaware of the order.
    Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Neb., also on the armed services panel, said the Army erred by not telling Congress about plans that affected so many reservists. By disrupting soldiers’ personal lives, the order ultimately could harm efforts to recruit and retain soldiers, he said.
    “To just have multiple deployments is not what people expect when they get into the reserve or the Guard units,” Nelson said. “What we’ve got to do is rebalance the system so that this doesn’t happen this way in the future.”
    Mistake unexplained
    Lt. Gen. James R. Helmly, commander of the Army Reserve, declined comment on how the mistake was made, a spokesman said. How the mistaken order was issued is a mystery, said Steve Stromvall, the civilian public affairs director for the U.S. Army Reserve Command in Atlanta.
    “God only knows at this point where the miscommunication started,” he said.
    What is happening, said Collins, is that the Army Reserve has been screening soldiers to determine how many can be assigned to active units.
    The screening’s emphasis is on individuals with specialties such as medics, truck drivers and heavy-equipment operators. The project is almost complete, she said, and approximately 22,000 individuals have been identified.
    The move illustrates the stress that the war on terrorism is placing on the U.S. military, particularly on the Army, which has forces concentrated in Afghanistan and Iraq, along with other deployments in Europe and Korea.
    The Pentagon has come under repeated criticism for having too few troops on the ground in the Middle East. As a result, reliance on National Guard and Reserve forces is growing.
    Call to soldier’s mother
    Recruiters with the Oregon National Guard on Thursday called Joseph Talik’s mother, Lorisa Gardiner of Salem.
    Talik, 26, of Portland said the recruiter urged that his mother contact her son. Talik served in the Army until his discharge last year. When Talik returned the recruiter’s call, he was told to join the Guard rather than risk being sent overseas.
    “I was blown away,” said Talik, who is in college and working at a Portland restaurant. “The thought of having to go back on active duty was discouraging.”
    Last Sunday Talik joined a Guard unit in Portland.
    “The recruiter said I would have less chance for deployment,” he said. “It was my impression that very bad things would happen if I didn’t join.”
    Jim Barnett and Jeff Kosseff of The Oregonian staff contributed to this report. Ron Soble: 503-302-8118; ronsoble@msn.com.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Here's a site dedicated to AVOIDING being recalled:

http://www.couragetoresist.org/indv-...rr-recall.html
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Here's another link, around 2009, where IRR personnel were called back to duty.

http://www.vamortgagecenter.com/blog...ization-myths/

In doing some searches on the internet for news related items, I have YET to discover anything regarding the recall of IRR personnel. Anywhere for any time in the past couple of months.

I suspect this guy is pissing a moaning like he did while he was in the USAF.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information