Thread: Mike Rowe Speaks

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Mike Rowe Speaks

YouTube: Mike Rowe Speaks To Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee [05-11-11]

And for the YouTube impaired, a transcript:
    Chairman Rockefeller, Ranking Member Hutchison and members of this committee, my name is Mike Rowe, and I want to thank you all very much for the opportunity to testify before you today.

I'm here today because of my grandfather.

His name was Carl Knobel, and he made his living in Baltimore as a master electrician. He was also a plumber, a mechanic, a mason, and a carpenter. Everyone knew him as a jack-of-all-trades. I knew him as a magician.

For most of his life, my grandfather woke up clean and came home dirty. In between, he accomplished things that were nothing short of miraculous. Some days he might re-shingle a roof. Or rebuild a motor. Or maybe run electricity out to our barn. He helped build the church I went to as a kid, and the farmhouse my brothers and I grew up in. He could fix or build anything, but to my knowledge he never once read the directions. He just knew how stuff worked.

I remember one Saturday morning when I was 12. I flushed the toilet in the same way I always had. The toilet however, responded in a way that was completely out of character. There was a rumbling sound, followed by a distant gurgle. Then, everything that had gone down reappeared in a rather violent and spectacular fashion.

Naturally, my grandfather was called in to investigate, and within the hour I was invited to join he and my dad in the front yard with picks and shovels.

By lunch, the lawn was littered with fragments of old pipe and mounds of dirt. There was welding and pipe-fitting, blisters and laughter, and maybe some questionable language. By sunset we were completely filthy. But a new pipe was installed, the dirt was back in the hole, and our toilet was back on its best behavior. It was one of my favorite days ever.

Thirty years later in San Francisco when my toilet blew up again. This time, I didn't participate in the repair process. I just called my landlord, left a check on the kitchen counter, and went to work. When I got home, the mess was cleaned up and the problem was solved. As for the actual plumber who did the work, I never even met him.

It occurred to me that I had become disconnected from a lot of things that used to fascinate me. I no longer thought about where my food came from, or how my electricity worked, or who fixed my pipes, or who made my clothes. There was no reason to. I had become less interested in how things got made, and more interested in how things got bought.

At this point my grandfather was well into his 80s, and after a long visit with him one weekend, I decided to do a TV show in his honor. Today, Dirty Jobs is still on the air, and I am here before this committee, hoping to say something useful. So, here it is.

I believe we need a national PR Campaign for Skilled Labor. A big one. Something that addresses the widening skills gap head on, and reconnects the country with the most important part of our workforce.

Right now, American manufacturing is struggling to fill 200,000 vacant positions. There are 450,000 openings in trades, transportation and utilities. The skills gap is real, and it's getting wider. In Alabama, a third of all skilled tradesmen are over 55. They're retiring fast, and no one is there to replace them.

Alabama's not alone. A few months ago in Atlanta I ran into Tom Vilsack, our Secretary of Agriculture. Tom told me about a governor who was unable to move forward on the construction of a power plant. The reason was telling. It wasn't a lack of funds. It wasn't a lack of support. It was a lack of qualified welders.

In general, we're surprised that high unemployment can exist at the same time as a skilled labor shortage. We shouldn't be. We've pretty much guaranteed it.

In high schools, the vocational arts have all but vanished. We've elevated the importance of "higher education" to such a lofty perch that all other forms of knowledge are now labeled "alternative." Millions of parents and kids see apprenticeships and on-the-job-training opportunities as "vocational consolation prizes," best suited for those not cut out for a four-year degree. And still, we talk about millions of "shovel ready" jobs for a society that doesn't encourage people to pick up a shovel.

In a hundred different ways, we have slowly marginalized an entire category of critical professions, reshaping our expectations of a "good job" into something that no longer looks like work. A few years from now, an hour with a good plumber - if you can find one - is going to cost more than an hour with a good psychiatrist. At which point we'll all be in need of both.

I came here today because guys like my grandfather are no less important to civilized life than they were 50 years ago. Maybe they're in short supply because we don't acknowledge them they way we used to. We leave our check on the kitchen counter, and hope the work gets done. That needs to change.

My written testimony includes the details of several initiatives designed to close the skills gap, all of which I've had the privilege to participate in. Go Build Alabama, I Make America, and my own modest efforts through Dirty Jobs and mikeroweWORKS. I'm especially proud to announce "Discover Your Skills," a broad-based initiative from Discovery Communications that I believe can change perceptions in a meaningful way.

I encourage you to support these efforts, because closing the skills gap doesn't just benefit future tradesmen and the companies desperate to hire them. It benefits people like me, and anyone else who shares my addiction to paved roads, reliable bridges, heating, air conditioning, and indoor plumbing.

The skills gap is a reflection of what we value. To close the gap, we need to change the way the country feels about work.

On May 11, 2011, Mike Rowe and Discovery Communications also announced a new multimedia initiative, Discover Your Skills, that will provide unemployed and underemployed Americans with access to resources for obtaining marketable job skills while also raising the awareness of employment opportunities. (Read the announcement here.)

Also, if you haven't already, check out Mike's mikeroweWORKS Web site for his mission statement, information about his foundation and more.

Finally, be sure to check out our photos from the hearing ... and see Mr. Rowe in a suit and tie. (And no hat. Seriously.)

Thanks

Default Re: Mike Rowe Speaks To Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee [05-11-11]

An excellent speech by Mr. Rowe! I think Mike did an excellent job highlighting a growing problem in our society. I agree wholeheartedly with him, by the way.

There are a LOT of people out there who are going to or have gone to college who just shouldn't. It is not a proper fit for them in one way or another.

There's nothing to be ashamed of in that either! I am one of those people after all.

I chose not to go to college because it just didn't "feel" like the right path for me, even though I are smart enough to go. Instead I got into what I consider a skilled trade which felt like a much better fit and have been gladly, thorough the ups and downs, doing the same type of job for the last (almost) 7 years.

I'm sure I could have slogged through college, gotten that special piece of paper and, likely would be making more money now but in the end it just wasn't for me.

Thanks

Default Re: Mike Rowe Speaks To Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee [05-11-11]

I would have to agree with Ryan and Mr. Rowe. I am proud to be a product of the generation of shadetree jack of all trades mechanics. I had to laugh out loud at the toilet story as it brought back fond memories of one particularly hot summer day digging for a "golden sewer pipe" with my Dad.

Our parents generation grew up in a time when you could rebuild the Model T motor in an afternoon. Long before anti-smog gadgets. I dare say the vehicles back then got far better mileage than todays autos. Of course they may not have had all the comforts of todays vehicles. Pop used to tell me that the only thing a car was for was getting from here to there.

Little known fact about Mike Rowe, he could is a well versed oprea singer.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

I gre up at the knee of my Dad learning the ins and outs of fixing and keeping running nearly everything in the house and truck. For that matter, I also grew up on the kitchen countertop learning how to cook, and cook well. Something equally valuable. I can't imagine growing up anyother way.

Vehicles though, grrrrr.... anymore modern ones have the engine so packed and tiht you have to tear half of it apart trying to get at what you need. Plus half of it requires expensive electronics to run diagnostics on the computers controlling everything.

A medium term goal of mine is aquiring an old flatbed ford. Yes, an older less effecient engine, but infinantly more tinkerable with just a dozen or so adjustable hand tools.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Our parents generation grew up in a time when you could rebuild the Model T motor in an afternoon. Long before anti-smog gadgets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    Vehicles though, grrrrr.... anymore modern ones have the engine so packed and tiht you have to tear half of it apart trying to get at what you need. Plus half of it requires expensive electronics to run diagnostics on the computers controlling everything.
    Very, very true! That still doesn't stop me from lusting after one of these:

I will have a 2010 model after I buy a house in a couple years.

Thanks

/chuckles

I have spent the better part of thirty years in college, my friends. I do not have a degree - though I have completed enough college to have two. My reasoning was never to get a degree, but to learn.

I wholeheartedly and even strongly suggest some college for everyone. I don't suggest degree programs. There's nothing wrong with learning and education.

What's wrong with our educational system though is the NEED for the educators to indoctrinate our younger people into a liberal system of beliefs. College shouldn't be used for this - but only for learning.

A jack of all trades is something good to be. Or have around, as I too am one of those people. Dad and mom, and uncles, aunts and various relatives made sure to teach me many things. While I don't practice all of those things, the wide variety of training I've gotten from relatives alone is IMMENSE.

I think each of you should take a young child in your family under your wing and teach them something new, as often as you can. And I don't just mean something "important". Something as simple as how to whittle with a pen knife, or how to track an animal, shoot a gun, or simply how to plant and grow something.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

The First Four Years Are The Hardest… - An Open Letter To Mitt Romney From Mike Rowe

September 6, 2012

Dear Governor Romney,

My name is Mike Rowe and I own a small company in California called mikeroweWORKS. Currently, mikeroweWORKS is trying to close the country’s skills gap by changing the way Americans feel about Work. (I know, right? Ambitious.) Anyway, this Labor Day is our 4th anniversary, and I’m commemorating the occasion with an open letter to you. If you read the whole thing, I’ll vote for you in November.

First things first. mikeroweWORKS grew out of a TV show called Dirty Jobs. If by some chance you are not glued to The Discovery Channel every Wednesday at 10pm, allow me to visually introduce myself. That’s me on the right, preparing to do something dirty.

When Dirty Jobs premiered back in 2003, critics called the show “a calamity of exploding toilets and misadventures in animal husbandry.” They weren’t exactly wrong. But mostly, Dirty Jobs was an unscripted celebration of hard work and skilled labor. It still is. Every week, we highlight regular people who do the kind of jobs most people go out of their way to avoid. My role on the show is that of a “perpetual apprentice.” In that capacity I have completed over three hundred different jobs, visited all fifty states, and worked in every major industry.

Though schizophrenic and void of any actual qualifications, my resume looks pretty impressive, and when our economy officially crapped the bed in 2008, I was perfectly positioned to weigh in on a variety of serious topics. A reporter from The Wall Street Journal called to ask what I thought about the “counter-intuitive correlation between rising unemployment and the growing shortage of skilled labor.” CNBC wanted my take on outsourcing. Fox News wanted my opinions on manufacturing and infrastructure. And CNN wanted to chat about currency valuations, free trade, and just about every other work-related problem under the sun.

In each case, I shared my theory that most of these “problems” were in fact symptoms of something more fundamental – a change in the way Americans viewed hard work and skilled labor. That’s the essence of what I’ve heard from the hundreds of men and women I’ve worked with on Dirty Jobs. Pig farmers, electricians, plumbers, bridge painters, jam makers, blacksmiths, brewers, coal miners, carpenters, crab fisherman, oil drillers…they all tell me the same thing over and over, again and again – our country has become emotionally disconnected from an essential part of our workforce. We are no longer impressed with cheap electricity, paved roads, and indoor plumbing. We take our infrastructure for granted, and the people who build it.

Today, we can see the consequences of this disconnect in any number of areas, but none is more obvious than the growing skills gap. Even as unemployment remains sky high, a whole category of vital occupations has fallen out of favor, and companies struggle to find workers with the necessary skills. The causes seem clear. We have embraced a ridiculously narrow view of education. Any kind of training or study that does not come with a four-year degree is now deemed “alternative.” Many viable careers once aspired to are now seen as “vocational consolation prizes,” and many of the jobs this current administration has tried to “create” over the last four years are the same jobs that parents and teachers actively discourage kids from pursuing. (I always thought there something ill-fated about the promise of three million “shovel ready jobs” made to a society that no longer encourages people to pick up a shovel.)

Which brings me to my purpose in writing. On Labor Day of 2008, the fans of Dirty Jobs helped me launch this website. mikeroweWORKS.com began as a Trade Resource Center designed to connect kids with careers in the skilled trades. It has since evolved into a non-profit foundation – a kind of PR Campaign for hard work and skilled labor. Thanks to a number of strategic partnerships, I have been able to promote a dialogue around these issues with a bit more credibility than my previous resume allowed. I’ve spoken to Congress (twice) about the need to confront the underlying stigmas and stereotypes that surround these kinds of jobs. Alabama and Georgia have both used mikeroweWORKS to launch their own statewide technical recruitment campaigns, and I’m proud to be the spokesman for both initiatives. I also work closely with Caterpillar, Ford, Kimberly-Clark, and Master Lock, as well as The Boy Scouts of America and The Future Farmers of America. To date, the mikeroweWORKS Foundation has raised over a million dollars for trade scholarships. It’s modest by many standards, but I think we’re making a difference.

Certainly, we need more jobs, and you were clear about that in Tampa. But the Skills Gap proves that we need something else too. We need people who see opportunity where opportunity exists. We need enthusiasm for careers that have been overlooked and underappreciated by society at large. We need to have a really big national conversation about what we value in the workforce, and if I can be of help to you in that regard, I am at your service – assuming of course, you find yourself in a new address early next year.

To be clear, mikeroweWORKS has no political agenda. I am not an apologist for Organized Labor or for Management. mikeroweWORKS is concerned only with encouraging a larger appreciation for skilled labor, and supporting those kids who are willing to learn a skill.

Good luck in November. And thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Mike Rowe

PS. In the interest of full disclosure I should mention that I wrote a similar letter to President Obama. Of course, that was four years ago, and since I never heard back, I believe proper etiquette allows me to extend the same offer to you now. I figure if I post it here, the odds are better that someone you know might send it along to your attention.

Thanks

Mitt read Mike's letter - https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/mikeroweworks/status/244494476989575169

And now...

It’s A Dirty Job, But Mike Rowe Campaigns With Mitt Romney In Ohio

September 25, 2012

The Romney campaign just sent out the following note.

Boston, MA –
    On Wednesday, Mitt Romney will continue the “Romney Plan For A Stronger Middle Class” bus tour where he will discuss his plan for a real recovery. He will begin by attending a Victory Rally at Westerville South High School in Westerville, Ohio, where he will be joined by Jack Nicklaus. He will then hold a manufacturing roundtable with Mike Rowe and business leaders at American Spring Wire in Bedford Heights, Ohio and attend a Victory Rally at the SeaGate Convention Centre in Toledo, Ohio. The following events are open to the press.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Event: Governor Romney Attends Westerville Victory Rally with Jack Nicklaus

303 S Otterbein Avenue
    Westerville, Ohio
    Pre-Set Time: 3:00 AM – 4:00 AM EDT
    Sweep Time: 4:00 AM – 6:00 AM EDT
    Doors Open: 6:00 AM EDT
    Invite Time: 8:00 AM EDT
    Program Time: 8:30 AM EDT
    Event: Governor Romney Holds Manufacturing Roundtable with Mike Rowe and Business Leaders

26300 Miles Road
    Bedford Heights, Ohio
    Pre-Set Time: 7:15 AM – 8:15 AM EDT
    Sweep Time: 8:15 AM – 10:15 AM EDT
    Doors Open: 10:15 AM EDT
    Invite Time: 12:15 PM EDT
    Program Time: 1:05 PM EDT

I generally disregard celebrity endorsements, but Mike Rowe is a bit different from your average celebrity. He isn’t one to demand Dom Perignon in his dressing room or lord his fame over his production staff or anybody else. He gets dirty and celebrates working hard. He seems to get the American work ethic in a way that very few do, certainly very few in Washington. Rowe is basically the most famous blue collar guy on TV. He’ll be a good asset for the Romney team.

Thanks

Hope it works.

As long as Obama doesn't endorse Romney we might have a chance. hehe
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

A Jaguar, huh Ryan? Sweet.

Thanks

Yeah but only after the value has dropped through the floor in typical Jaguar fashion.

Thanks

After Mike Rowe Had a Disagreement With a Lawyer at a Liquor Store, He Went Home and Did This Just to Spite the Attorney

Posted on June 24, 2014 by Various Writers
    [TheBlaze.com]

Jun. 24, 2014 10:09am Jonathon M. Seidl
    Mike Rowe, the former “Dirty Jobs” TV host and current head of Mike Rowe Works, has shown he’s not afraid to say what he thinks. Monday, he proved it once again — and took on a lawyer in doing so.

It all started when Rowe decided to hit a local liquor store recently and noticed a picture near the front of the shop. That picture was of a man in a white shirt that the store was identifying as a shoplifter.
    “Good for you,” Rowe says he told the owner while recalling the encounter on Facebook. “I wish every store in the country did this.”
    That’s when things got a little awkward. Someone behind Rowe in line disagreed, saying that it wasn’t right to publicly shame someone who may be innocent.
    That started getting Rowe a little fired up. The conversation continued with Rowe’s response as well as the store owner’s:
    [Rowe continued:] “If I were falsely accused I would feel angry. But why would the owner put my face in his window and identify me as a shoplifter if he didn’t have proof that I was in fact a shoplifter?”
    “Mistakes happen,” said the guy in line.
    I looked at the manager and said, “Frank, have you ever made a mistake or falsely accused someone of shoplifting from your store?”
    “Of course not,” said Frank. “I have the proof on the video. I put up a new photo every week. I have hundreds of these scumballs on tape.”
    “Really? So has this strategy helped cut down on theft?”
    “Big time,” said Frank. I used to get ripped off every day. Now it’s more like once a week.”
    TWITTER: “[D]oes our country really have [its] head that far up [its] own ass?” — Mike Rowe
    And that’s when the lawyer got involved. According to the lawyer, Frank the storeowner could technically be sued for posting the photo and shaming the man. That’s when Rowe became “incredulous” and even had some blunt words for the attorney:
    Then a third guy chimed in. He identified himself as a lawyer, and said that even if Frank had proof of the crime, the guy in the photo could sue him and very likely win. I was incredulous.
    “On what grounds?” Telling the truth in a storefront window?”
    The lawyer shrugged. “I could argue that the man in that photo – were he my client – suffered irreparable harm to his reputation and public standing. I’d argue that Frank here was the proximate cause of that damage. Moreover, the level of potential harm caused by this photo goes far beyond the punishment typically handed down for this kind of petty crime.”
    “Are you that good a lawyer,” I asked? Or does our country really have it’s head that far up it’s own ass?”
    For the next ten minutes, we discussed the law, public shaming, petty theft, and the rights of the accused. I expressed my belief that stocks should be brought back to the public square. Frank concurred. The first guy in line called me a “modern day Torquemada,” which I took as a compliment. The lawyer was in favor of stocks, but only because they’d be good for business. The whole thing made me very thirsty for the Whistle Pig, waiting patiently in my brown paper bag.
    Finally I asked, “What would happen if I posted this photo on my Facebook page? Could the shoplifter then sue me?”
    “Alleged shoplifter,” said the guy in line.
    “Sure,” said the lawyer. “Anybody can sue anybody for anything.”
    “Yeah, but would you take the case?”
    The lawyer looked at me with something I’ll call recognition. “If I thought there were a decent chance at a recovery, sure.”
    “So if I post this image on my Facebook page, and the guy in the photo comes to you and says I’ve ruined his reputation by telling the world he’s guilty of shoplifting, you’d sue me? Even if the guy is proven guilty on tape?”
    “Suing celebrities is fun,” said the lawyer. They usually settle, just to avoid the headache. But just to be clear – I’d sue Frank here as well.”
    So what did Rowe do? He decided to stick it to the lawyer. He posted the picture of the crook (although he redacted the face):

“After careful consideration and deliberation with Frank, I’ve decided to post the photo in his front window,” Rowe concluded. “But upon the advice of my own attorney, I’ve concealed the identity of the no-good shoplifting scumbag in the white tee-shirt and jeans. I realize this defeats the purpose, but that’s what things have come to in my world.”
    So far the post has over 55,000 likes and over 10,000 shares.
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...facebook-post/
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Default Re: Mike Rowe Speaks

Mike Rowe posted this on his Facebook page:

Mike Rowe

October 12 · Edited

Off The Wall

Hey Mike

I see that you are now publicly supporting the annual nightmare of San Francisco’s Fleet Week. http://allthingsaero.com/airshows/ev...sco-fleet-week Ugh.

Once again, the Blue Angels will destroy an otherwise peaceful Sunday. They’ll buzz our homes, shake our windows, terrorize our pets and children, and put the city at needless risk. Once again, I’ll look out my window and see a Navy Destroyer parked in the Bay. For what purpose? I can’t believe San Francisco tolerates this annual chest-thumping propaganda. Very disappointed you see you supporting this.

Frances in San Francisco

Hi Frances

As I’ve said before, I love San Francisco. I really do. But I worry sometimes that our little town has managed to get its head so far up its own ass that we’re now in danger of vanishing altogether. Every year, protesters gather to bemoan the very things you mention, and every year, they miss the point entirely. Fleet Week is more than a festival or a parade. It's more than a personal assault on your view of the Bay. Fleet Week is about Humanitarian Relief, and a reminder that the US Military is our best hope of surviving the next natural disaster. It's also a chance to say thanks to the people that make these very protests possible. Question - did you actually watch the video?

Over the years and all over the world, our military has saved more lives than all the other first responders in every humanitarian organization combined. San Francisco Fleet Week is all about pioneering a new way to combine military and civilian assistance, and what’s going on here is serving as a model for Fleet Weeks all over the country. As I type this, our military is training local firemen in the latest search and rescue techniques. Hundreds of local doctors and nurses are observing peer to peer exercises that demonstrate a variety of medical breakthroughs. Today, over a million residents will have a chance to tour a state of the art Humanitarian Village set up in Marina Green. How cool is that?

If you deemed it important Frances, you and your kids could tour a realistic shock trauma expeditionary hospital. You could drink water pumped out of the bay and purified by reverse osmosis, or see firsthand various demonstrations of solar power and other kinds of practical energy we’ll need when the next quake hits. Or, you could bitch about the noise and reduce the whole event to parade for the Industrial Military Complex.

Obviously, I’m biased. I’ve flown with the Blue Angels and toured many of those destroyers. I’ve worked with every branch of the US Armed Forces, and met thousands of soldiers along the way. I like them. Spending time with them makes me feel good about our country. That’s why I speak on behalf of the Post 9-11 GI Bill. That’s why I attend the Marine Corps Ball every year. That’s why I’m doing what I can to help connect more of our troops into careers in the skilled trades. But as for Fleet Week, I support this event because I'd like to see us survive the next big quake. And believe me Frances - it's coming. That’s why I’m involved. My question is - why aren’t you?

Come on down to the Marina Green around 3 this afternoon. It’ll be fun. If you're nice, I’ll buy you a cup of purified water, and let you put a tourniquet on my neck.

Mike

Thanks

Liberal Challenges Mike Rowe to Explain How a Christian (or Anyone) Could Vote Republican. Rowe’s Answer Is Simply Awesome.

November 23, 2014

It may soon become a well-trod adage that when you ask Mike Rowe a snarky, insulting question on his Facebook page, you might find yourself on the receiving end of one of Rowe’s measured, civil, and devastatingly spot-on responses.

So it was with a decidedly left-leaning guy named Jim Green who posted a series of inflammatory points about Republicans (with a lot of ALL-CAPPED words and about the same number of exclamation points), which Rowe apparently spotted while aboard a flight:

Green went on to call Republicans racists and other unseemly things, often with a pitch for a book at the end:

Why on Earth would ANYONE vote Republican? A reptile has more decency than the Republicans in Congress! Only an odious toad would pass Ryan’s budget or gut Food Stamps—and these depraved snakes made them THEIR HIGHEST PRIORITY! If only one child in America goes hungry because of the Republican’s War on Children it explains why—IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BE A CHRISTIAN, AND VOTE REPUBLICAN, Amazon/Kindle

Then Green issued Rowe a challenge, asking him to “PLEASE explain to the American people why you vote/are a Republican—because for the life of me I cannot understand WHY WOULD ANYONE VOTE REPUBLICAN!”

Green’s answer came in the form of “Some Unsolicited Marketing Advice From Mike Rowe at 37,000 Feet.”

Post by Mike Rowe.

Hi there, Jim

Greetings, from somewhere over Colorado. It appears you’re still trying to sell some books on my Facebook page. Personally, I haven’t read them, and based on your marketing strategy, I suspect I’m probably not alone. Since part of your approach seems to involve me, I thought perhaps I might offer you some unsolicited marketing advice. I hope it’s not too presumptuous, but these tips have served me well over the years, and I can’t help but think you and your marketing team might benefit from their immediate implementation.

1. Consider starting off each blurb with a friendly salutation. In my experience, a little cordiality goes a long way, especially when you’re trying to persuade someone to give you money.

2. Think about addressing your audience as something other than “racists,” “reptiles,” and “toads.” I get that you want to be provocative, but if your goal is to sell your book, a number of well-known studies have proven it’s best not to insult your potential customers.

3. Reconsider your commitment to caps and exclamation points. These are excellent choices when warning people about a fire, a volcanic eruption, an ebola outbreak, or a looming tsunami. But I’m afraid their use in the context of a book sale implies a level of urgency that may exist only in your mind. If you really want to persuade thoughtful people that Christians can’t vote for Republicans and remain Christian, you’ll need to appear credible – not hysterical. Lower case should work just fine.

4. Consider limiting each blurb to a single entry. When you post the identical screed four times in a row, it looks very much like a broken record sounds. This will lead people to conclude that you’re either a) inept at posting, or b) deliberately obnoxious. Neither conclusion is likely to lead to a sale. Remember, most people see posts like yours as small piles of vomit that they can quickly step around. But when the same vomitus post appears multiple times, you force my friends here to slosh through a virtual lake of spew. Ironically, this will not only make more people like you even less, it will decrease the odds that someone who might actually share your world view will feel inclined to purchase your book. (I’ve deleted all of your redundant posts from this morning, but left the original. You’re welcome.)

5. Regarding your overall claim, I’m not an authority on Republicans or Christians, but last I checked, America is still populated by plenty of both. Unless you wish to alienate a majority of the country, you might consider something a tad more conciliatory. Something like – “There is no “R” in Jesus – But There’s G-O-P in Gospel!”

Finally, with respect to your “challenge,” I’m not a registered Republican, but from time to time, I have voted like one. If you really want to know why, ask me in a fashion that incorporates the aforementioned steps, and I’ll try to explain it to you.

In the meantime, GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

PS. As you can see, the captain has given me some plastic wings. So clearly, I know what I’m talking about.

This story has been updated.

(H/T: YoungCons, Weasel Zippers)

Thanks

PS. As you can see, the captain has given me some plastic wings. So clearly, I know what I’m talking about.
    Ok, I LSOLWLMAO

(I literally snorted out loud while laughing my ass off)

HAHAHAHAHA
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Mike Rowe addresses the minimum wage, in typical Mike Rowe manner.

Mike Rowe - Off The Wall

February 5 at 5:23pm

Hi Mike,

The federal minimum wage is $7.25 and hour. A lot of people think it should be raised to $10.10. Seattle now pays $15 an hour, and the The Freedom Socialist Party is demanding a $20 living wage for every working person. What do you think about the minimum wage? How much do you think a Big Mac will cost if McDonald’s had to pay all their employees $20 an hour?

Darrell Paul

Hi Darrell

Back in 1979, I was working as an usher for United Artists at a multiplex in Baltimore. The minimum wage was $2.90, and I earned every penny.

When I wasn’t tearing tickets in half and stopping kids from theater hopping, I was cleaning out the bathrooms, emptying the trash, and scrapping dubious substances off the theater floor with a putty knife. I wore a silly outfit and smiled unnaturally, usually for the entirety of my shift. I worked 18 hours my first week, mostly after school, and earned $62.20. Before taxes. But I was also learning the importance of “soft skills.” I learned to show up on time and tuck my shirt in. I embraced the many virtues of proper hygiene. Most of all, I learned how to take shit from the public, and suck up to my boss.

After three months, I got a raise, and wound up behind the concession stand. Once it was determined I wasn’t a thief, I was promoted to cashier. Three months later, I got another raise. Eventually, they taught me how to operate a projector, which was the job I wanted in the first place.

The films would arrive from Hollywood in giant boxes, thin and square, like the top of a card table, but heavy. I’d open each one with care, and place each spool on a separate platter. Then, I’d thread them into the giant projector, looping the leader through 22 separate gates, careful to touch only the sides. Raging Bull, Airplane, The Shining, Caddyshack, The Elephant Man - I saw them all from the shadowy comfort of the projection booth, and collected $10 an hour for my trouble. Eventually, I was offered an assistant manager position, which I declined. I wasn’t management material then, anymore than I am now. But I had a plan. I was going to be in the movies. Or, God forbid, on television.

I thought about all this last month when I saw “Boyhood” at a theater in San Francisco. I bought the tickets from a machine that took my credit card and spit out a piece of paper with a bar code on it. I walked inside, and fed the paper into another machine, which beeped twice, welcomed me in a mechanical voice, and lowered a steel bar that let me into the lobby. No usher, no cashier. I found the concession stand and bought a bushel of popcorn from another machine, and a gallon of Diet Coke that I poured myself. On the way out, I saw an actual employee, who turned out to be the manager. I asked him how much a projectionist was making these days, and he just laughed.

“There’s no such position,” he said. I just put the film in the slot myself and press a button. Easy breezy.”

To answer your question Darrell, I’m worried. From the business owners I’ve talked to, it seems clear that companies are responding to rising labor costs by embracing automation faster than ever. That’s eliminating thousands of low-paying, unskilled, entry level positions. What will that mean for those people trying to get started in the workforce? My job as an usher was the first rung on a long ladder of work that lead me to where I am today. But what if that rung wasn't there? If the minimum wage in 1979 had been suddenly raised from $2.90 to $10 an hour, thousands of people would have applied for the same job. What chance would I have had, being seventeen years old with pimples and a big adams apple?

One night, thirty-six years ago, during the midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, I sat in the projection booth and read a short story by Ray Bradbury called “A Sound of Thunder.” It was about a guy who traveled back in time to look at dinosaurs, but against strict orders, ventured off the observation platform and accidentally stepped on a butterfly. When he returned to the present, everything in the world had changed. “The Butterfly Effect” is now an expression that describes a single event that leads to a series of unanticipated outcomes, resulting in a profoundly unintended consequence. (Ironically, it's also a movie with Ashton Kutcher, which I had to pay to see 30 years later.)

Anyway, I’m not an economist or a sociologist, but I’m pretty sure a $20 minimum wage would affect a lot more than the cost of a Big Mac. Beyond the elimination of many entry-level jobs, consider the effect on the skills gap. According to the BLS, they’re about three million available positions that companies are trying to fill right now. Very few of those jobs require a four-year degree, but nearly all require specific training. And all pay more than the current minimum wage. If we want a skilled workforce, (and believe me, we do,) should we really be demanding $20 an hour for unskilled labor?

Last year, I narrated a commercial about US manufacturing, paid for by Walmart. It started a shitstorm, and cost me many thousands virtual friends. Among the aggrieved, was a labor organization called Jobs With Justice. They wanted me to know just how unfairly Walmart was treating it’s employees. So they had their members send my foundation over 8,000 form letters, asking me to meet with unhappy Walmart workers, and join them in their fight against “bad jobs.”

While I’m sympathetic to employees who want to be paid fairly, I prefer to help on an individual basis. I’m also skeptical that a modest pay increase will make an unskilled worker less reliant upon an employer whom they affirmatively resent. I explained this to Jobs With Justice in an open letter, and invited anyone who felt mistreated to explore the many training opportunities and scholarships available through mikeroweWORKS. I further explained that I couldn’t couldn’t join them in their fight against “bad jobs,” because frankly, I don’t believe there is such a thing. My exact words were, “Some jobs pay better, some jobs smell better, and some jobs have no business being treated like careers. But work is never the enemy, regardless of the wage. Because somewhere between the job and the paycheck, there’s still a thing called opportunity, and that’s what people need to pursue.”

People are always surprised to learn that many of the subjects on Dirty Jobs were millionaires - entrepreneurs who crawled through a river of crap, prospered, and created jobs for others along the way. Men and women who started with nothing and built a going concern out of the dirt. I was talking last week with my old friend Richard, who owns a small but prosperous construction company in California. Richard still hangs drywall and sheetrock with his aging crew because he can’t find enough young people who want to learn the construction trades. Today, he’ll pay $40 an hour for a reliable welder, but more often than not, he can’t find one. Whenever I talk to Richard, and consider the number of millennials within 50 square miles of his office stocking shelves or slinging hash for the minimum wage, I can only shake my head.

Point is Darrell, if you fix the wage of a worker, or freeze the price of a thing, you’re probably gonna step on a few butterflies. Doesn’t matter how well-intended the policy - the true cost a $20 minimum wage has less to do with the price of a Big Mac, and more to do with a sound of thunder. Frankly, it scares the hell out of me.

Mike

PS I looked into the Freedom Socialist Party and their demand for a universal, $20 an hour living wage. Interesting. You're right - they're serious. But not long after they announced their position, they made the interesting decision to advertise for a web designer....at $13 an hour. Make of that what you will... (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/…/soci...6008432…)

Thread Information