26 May 2011 Last updated at 09:34 ET Ratko Mladic arrested: International reaction

International reaction after former Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic was arrested 15 years after his indictment for war crimes:
FRENCH PRESIDENT NICOLAS SARKOZY

"It is very good news and it is a very courageous decision by the Serbian president. It is one more step towards Serbia's integration one day into the European Union."
UN SECRETARY GENERAL BAN KI-MOON

"This an historic day for international justice. It marks an important step in our will to end impunity. I thank the Serbian government and president for their efforts."
UK FOREIGN SECRETARY WILLIAM HAGUE

"The arrest of Ratko Mladic is a historic moment for a region. Ratko Mladic stands accused of terrible crimes committed in Bosnia-Herzegovina and it is right that he will now be brought to face international justice.

"Today our thoughts are with the relatives of those killed during the siege of Sarajevo and genocide in Srebrenica. We congratulate the Serbian authorities on this arrest, which is evidence of the Serbian government's commitment to co-operation with the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.

"We now look forward to the rapid transfer of Ratko Mladic to The Hague so that the charges against him can be heard in an international court of law."
BEN RHODES, US DEPUTY NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER

"The United States is delighted to hear the announcement of the Serbian government that they have captured Ratko Mladic.
"We look forward to an expeditious transfer to the tribunal in The Hague."
SERGE BRAMMERTZ, UN WAR CRIMES PROSECUTOR FOR THE FORMER YUGOSLAVIA

"I welcome the arrest of Ratko Mladic today in Serbia. We await arrangements for his transfer to The Hague where he will stand trial before the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.

"We recognise the work done by the Serbian authorities, specifically the National Security Council and Serbia's Action Team, in apprehending Ratko Mladic."
EUROPEAN COMMISSION CHIEF JOSE MANUEL BARROSO

"I strongly welcome the arrest of Ratko Mladic by Serbia's authorities. This is an important step forward for Serbia and for international justice. I congratulate President Tadic and Serbia's government for this courageous action.

"I expect Ratko Mladic to be transferred to the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia without delay. Full co-operation with the ICTY remains essential on Serbia's path towards EU membership."