Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Thanks

Default Rise of the Planet of the Apes

'Planet of the Apes': Back on Track After Tim Burton's Flung-Poo Remake

By Alonso Duralde at TheWrap
    Thu Aug 4, 2011 7:45am EDT

If the prospect of another journey to the Planet of the Apes holds as much appeal for you as a rotten banana, you’re not alone.

Tim Burton’s flung-poo 2001 remake squandered a lot of the goodwill amassed by the original franchise which, between the years of 1968 and 1975, yielded five movies, a live-action TV series, and a Saturday morning cartoon.

“Rise of the Planet of the Apes” is everything Burton’s movie wasn’t — smart, exciting and thought-provoking, while operating in the realm of the movies’ great misunderstood monsters.

Like King Kong and Godzilla before him, audiences will fear the intelligent ape Caesar (played brilliantly via motion-capture animation by Andy Serkis) while also empathizing with his plight.

The film stars James Franco as Will Rodman, a genetics researcher testing a new drug on apes that repairs neural pathways and could potentially cure Alzheimer’s. (It’s a personal crusade for Will, whose father Charles — played by John Lithgow — suffers from the disease.)

The drug seems to be working on a lab ape known as “Bright Eyes” (that’s what the intelligent apes called Charlton Heston in the original movie, and it’s one of about a dozen shout-outs to the original “Apes” films here), but when she goes on a rampage, drug company exec Jacobs (David Oyelowo) shuts down the program.

Bright Eyes didn’t freak out because of the drug, however; she was merely protecting her baby, the one that Will takes home, raises on his own, and names Caesar. And while Caesar has benefited from his mother’s exposure to the drug, Will secretly brings the experimental formula home and start giving it to Charles, who seems to be improving.

As Caesar gets older, Will’s girlfriend Caroline (Freida Pinto, playing a zoo vet so underwritten that Rosario Dawson’s character in “Zookeeper” feels like Dr. Jane Goodall by comparison) warns him that the ape will become strong and violent.

And when a pushy next-door neighbor gets into an altercation with a now-relapsing Charles, Caesar lashes out and winds up getting incarcerated in a primate facility where he learns the law of the jungle — and figures out a way to build an army against the cruel humans.

Plot-wise, “Rise” most resembles “Conquest of the Planet of the Apes,” in which talking ape Caesar leads his enslaved brothers in a revolt. But while that film was more of a political parable, this new one marries questions about the excesses of genetics research with a tense and suspenseful prison-break story. (The latter mirrors director Rupert Wyatt’s exceptional previous film, “The Escapist.”)

So many contemporary movies have a hard time balancing two things at once — “The Change-Up” treats gross-out gags and midlife romance like they were walking and chewing gum — that it’s a real pleasure to watch “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” unfold, skillfully encompassing sci-fi, action, suspense, and the Will/Caesar relationship, which falls somewhere between parent/child and boy-and-his-dog.

Franco’s not the first actor you’d think of for this kind of movie, but he plays it straightforwardly, handling the role’s emotional moments and its streams of science-babble with ease. (He also knows that, billing aside, this is Serkis’ show all the way.)

Cox, who spear-headed the prison break in “The Escapist,” flips the script by playing the warden of the monkey jail, and if Tom Felton wanted to avoid post–“Harry Potter” typecasting after a decade of playing Draco Malfoy, then perhaps playing Cox’s sadistic, chimp-taunting son wasn’t the way to do it.

With its army of apes, chimpanzees, orangutans, and gorillas, “Rise” bites off a lot, effects-wise, but the movie delivers some of the best motion-capture animation since “Avatar.” Nobody gives a performance with ping-pong balls on his face like Andy Serkis, as he previously proved in “King Kong” and the “Lord of the Rings” movies, and here he makes Caesar vulnerable, conflicted, loving, and ultimately terrifying.

It’s not the kind of acting that wins awards, but Serkis’ work here is mesmerizing. (Granted, I miss the old-school methods, where Kim Hunter and Roddy McDowall were buried in layers and layers of latex to play the simian stars, but when the CG is this good, it’s hard to complain.)

While there are some minor nits to be picked here — Pinto’s barely-there character, a rare slackening of the pace in the build-up to the big finale, a few too many inside jokes for fans of the original “Apes” series” — “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” feels like a genuine summer surprise.

Who would think that the dog days of August would give us one of the most genuinely appealing big-studio tentpole movies of the year?
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Planet of the Apes

I'm looking forward to see this movie.

BTW Here's the trailer. Enjoy:

Saint Paul in the Ephesians 6:12

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Thanks

At first I was kind of blah, but then I saw the scene where a cop on horseback and an ape charge each other on the Golden Gate Bridge and I knew right then that I had to see this movie. I'm a huge fan of the original, Heston's typical over acting actually worked really well and the ending is still a scifi classic. I also enjoyed the Simpsons episode where Troy Mcclure married Marge's sister and then got the lead in Planet of the Apes musical. He can talk, he can talk, he can talk, I can SING! I'm really glad they went with a prequel and not some blasphemous remake/retread.

I've read 3 reviews now and all were good, 2 of them saying it was much better than expected. Will Andy Serkis finally get his due and get nominated for an Academy Award? All 3 critics said he was the best part of the movie. He should of been nominated for his portrayal of Gollum but the whole digital capture thing caught the Academy off guard I think.

Banned
    Thanks

Not another one, pleeease! The first movie and the book were enough. Thank you. Pass the popcorn, please.

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Another reason why everyone should carry a gun.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Like catfish, I was at first, blah. Now I am thinking, hmm. It is the 5th, what time does it play? Time to check fandango.com

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok, gonna see it Tuesday I think with my brother. Opening night and the best time for me is in 1 hour and I cannot buy online? Nope, not gonna try. Takes 30 mins to get there.

Thanks

Actually, Wallis, I think I posted an article above that the other movie stunk. lol
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Tim Burton sucks, his movies suck and his haircut sucks too. I can't stand him and I absolutely refuse to watch anything even remotely having anything to do with him. I may be offending some of you by saying that and I don't care. I will take my hatred of him to my grave and nothing any of you could say will make me change my mind. Tim Burton sucks and so does Michael Bay.

Banned
    Thanks

Peter Jackson of The Lord of the Rings fame (and soon the Hobbit, I hope)???

Why?

Banned
    Thanks

Fair enough, Michael.

When my daughter and I saw Part 2, a father and his son were confused. So, I spent a little bit of time trying to explain what Peter did (taking book 3 and 4 and interlocking the two individual story lines one after the other, instead of the linear way Tolkien did it). I can see where one has to be cognizant of the written work before enjoying a movie adaptation.

This is certainly true of almost every movie version. Harry Potter being the latest book-to-film endeavor, the combined directors have done an absolute horrible job. Not that Rowlings' books were works of art and certainly cannot be placed in the same category as her own countryman.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Tim Burton sucks, his movies suck and his haircut sucks too. I can't stand him and I absolutely refuse to watch anything even remotely having anything to do with him. I may be offending some of you by saying that and I don't care. I will take my hatred of him to my grave and nothing any of you could say will make me change my mind. Tim Burton sucks and so does Michael Bay.
    Sad to say, but I don't even know who these guys are....
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Rise of the Planet of the Apes: a franchise that keeps evolving

Success at box office may mean even more Apes returning to our screens.

Image 1 of 2
    Caesar the chimp, a CG animal portrayed by Andy Serkis, and James Franco are shown in a scene from Rise of the Planet of the Apes Photo: AP

By Milo Wasserman
    3:30PM BST 08 Aug 2011
    Comments

Twentieth Century Fox’s global franchise, based upon Pierre Boulle’s 1963 notion of a place “Where man is brute and Ape intelligent”, is gearing up for the release of Rise of the Planet of the Apes in Britain this Thursday.

The film is not exactly exploring the brave new world Charlton Heston roamed way back in 1968, accompanied by his rather unshakable mantra “somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be.”

On the contrary, now in its fifth decade, this franchise is a feature in the memories of movie-goers and sci-fi junkies far and wide, and is already garnering a fair bit of attention in the United States. Regardless, the box office sales figures for the original five films, all produced by Arthur Jacobs, went into serious decline after Franklin Schaffner’s opening effort.

Despite Tim Burton’s 2001 remake of the 1968 original grossing over $360,000,000 worldwide, it was largely dismissed by critics as having strayed too far from Boulle’s original storyline and being an unfortunate triumph of set design over story.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is not in any way associating itself with Burton’s 2001 film, it in fact bears the premise of being a prequel to the original 5 films. It is an explanation of just how it was our simian cousins came to evolve in such a way that we humans become subservient.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Default Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Rise of the Planet of the Apes, review

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is an entertaining prequel with marvellous special effects.

Dir: Rupert Wyatt; starring: James Franco, Andy Serkis and Freida Pinto.

12A cert, 104 min

Alienating reams of visual effects. Nervous, join-the-dots screenwriting. Too many superheroes. This won’t go down as a vintage year for summer escapism — often, it’s the movies themselves you might have been tempted to flee.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is one of the small handful of pictures — Justin Lin’s hot-rod thriller Fast Five was another — that you can feasibly imagine watching again, because it’s built on sound enough foundations to last.

The planet remains Earth, and the setting is San Francisco in the near future, where a maverick geneticist (James Franco) has achieved wonders with his dementia-defying brain serum, at least on apes. The question is: how smart do they need to become before breaking the bounds of captivity? Those familiar with the series, particularly Franklin J Schaffner’s still-resonant 1968 original, will be alert to an impending cause of mankind’s destruction, which it would be spoiler-ish to reveal, but the origins of ape supremacy are fully laid out. It’s not Franco, but his super-smart pet chimp Caesar who emerges as the hero.
    British director Rupert Wyatt, making a strikingly confident leap into the big-time after his nifty 2008 debut The Escapist, fashions much of his movie as a simian prison flick, methodically establishing Caesar’s credentials, banged up after an attack on a nasty neighbour, to mobilise and spearhead the ape escape. Andy Serkis, motion capture’s reigning master of disguise, gives this creature soul, wiliness and a puckered resentment — he grasps a higher destiny than acrobatics in his attic playroom, and sets about achieving it, scene by punchy scene. The script’s best moment springs off the “damn dirty ape” line of Charlton Heston’s in the original film, and it’s a testament to the vitality of Wyatt’s movie how unexpected the spine-tingling rejoinder manages to sound.
    Still, there are compromises. An air of letdown hangs over almost all the human storylines, except the scenes with John Lithgow, lovable and bewildered as Franco’s Alzheimer’s-afflicted father. There’s nothing specifically wrong with Franco’s performance, but only Lithgow gets palpable feeling out of him; the squabbling with his biochem boss, played with blatant avarice by David Oyelowo, is lame formula. As for Freida Pinto’s fetching vet, she’s strictly along for the ride, disappearing meekly when told, and apparently not noticing anything untoward about Caesar’s enhanced intelligence.
    Nothing is allowed to compete with our interest in Caesar, and there’s some logic in that, but also scope for greater provocation — it ought to be more disturbing. Time and again the apes stop short of harming their human oppressors, except the two vilest. How have they learned to be civilised even in revolt? What’s in it for them, other than a 12A rating? Broad appeal is in some ways an impediment here, tending to contradict the ferocity and fascist power structure in Schaffner’s movie, where ape-human brutality was firmly in the other direction.
    This is all territory Wyatt could explore, and perhaps explain, in putative sequels, now that glowing US reviews and strong box-office have put him in a position to take more risks. For the time being, he’s delivered the goods with satisfying pace and craft — Weta Digital’s effects work on the apes, especially Caesar’s face, is unobtrusively marvellous, laying icky memories of the Tim Burton one to merciful rest.
    Libertatem Prius!

Banned
    Thanks

Pass. And thank you.

Thanks

krappy "d" grade movie imho. Catfish was right.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

Thanks

this isn't about the movie or entertainment, but thought it would fit here.

'Big Brain' Gene Found in Humans, But Not in Chimps

A single gene may have helped pave the way for the rise of human intelligence by dramatically increasing the number of neurons found in a key brain region.
    This gene seems to be uniquely human: It is found in modern-day humans, Neanderthals and another branch of extinct humans called Denisovans, but not in chimpanzees.

By allowing the brain region called the neocortex to contain many more neurons, the tiny snippet of DNA may have laid the foundation for the human brain's massive expansion.

M. Florio and W. Huttner / Max Planck Institute
    This embryonic mouse cerebral cortex was stained to identify cell nuclei (in blue) and a marker for deep-layer neurons (in red). The human-specific gene known as ARHGAP11B was selectively expressed in the right hemisphere: Note the folding of the neocortical surface.
    "It is so cool that one tiny gene alone may suffice to affect the phenotype of the stem cells, which contributed the most to the expansion of the neocortex," said study lead author Marta Florio, a doctoral candidate in molecular and cellular biology and genetics at the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics in Dresden, Germany.
    She and her colleagues found that the gene, called ARHGAP11B, is turned on and highly activated in the human neural progenitor cells, but isn't present at all in mouse cells. This tiny snippet of DNA, just 804 genetic bases long, was once part of a much longer gene. Somehow, this fragment was duplicated, and the duplicated fragment was inserted into the human genome.
    In follow-up experiments, the team inserted and turned on this DNA snippet in the brains of mice. The mice with the gene insertion grew what looked like larger neocortex regions.

To Map the Brain, Researchers Create Video Games

NBCNews.com

The researchers reviewed a wide variety of genomes from modern-day and extinct species — confirming that Neanderthals and Denisovans had this gene, while chimpanzees and mice do not. That suggests that the gene emerged soon after humans split off from chimpanzees, and that it helped pave the way for the rapid expansion of the human brain.
    Florio stressed that the gene is probably just one of many genetic changes that make human cognition special. [The Top 10 Things That Make Humans Special]
    The gene was described in a paper published online Thursday by the journal Science.
    — Tia Ghose, LiveScience

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I'm thinking, after hearing a few days ago that a doctor said that within "two years" he'd be able to perform a full "body transplant" - where ytou take a person's head and transplant it on a donor body.... (weird, I know, but what the hell, right, just humor me a moment).

If that's the case, we're 10 years from Planet of the Apes. They can decipher a genome now. Specifically the human and presumably apes.

How long before they can add and remove genes from creatures and remake them "in our own image".

So.... body transplants, smart apes, and superhumans....

we're not far off from all of these.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

A body transplant wouldn't be so good for the donor of the body.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I was thinking that too. lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information