Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene - Hitting East Coast

Thanks

Default Re: Hurricane Irene - Hitting East Coast

So we can safely assume that Peterle is not a tree hugger?
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    I take it the "stream" running down the back of the place and down the hill isn't normally there then? Looks like a lot of rain came down previously.
    Here's what it did look like.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

A wee bit o' erosion.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Yeah, lots of erosion. I need a 12 inch pipe and a cement catch basin.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I havent looked today at the location of the hurricane. Has the eye passed you by yet?
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

It's long past. We've had some blowing wind for a bit and we're currently running on the generator.

ISP is up so that's a bonus.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Excellent
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Looking at

http://www.511nj.org/trafficmap.aspx

It appears as if i'm stuck. LOL. All the roads exiting here are closed. There is no way out.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    Here's a video I took 10 minutes ago.

Oh, what many would give for rain like this right now.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Pretty much everything was normal for me today. One leaning tree on a powerline that I drove under. Plenty of room. Also a single intersection had no power. Not bad. Our warehouse in MD was not loading or delivering as their power was out, so no goods were sent out today.

Thanks

I had a fairly bad commute.

All my major roads were closed. They diverted RT 23 onto a tiny back road for 10 miles to get on RT 80. The backup on RT 23 right now must be epic in scale.

Interstate 287 north from 80 is closed. There's just a lot of water everywhere.

I hope I can get home tonight.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Well, looks like it wasn't as bad as they thought. It wasn't as bad as *I* thought it might be, which is good. I love being wrong in cases like this.
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

YouTube: New Jersey Army Navy National Guard In Action!

Reminds me of this video back when the M35 was in original development...
    M35A2 Under Water

When I get my Deuce, I AM going to put on an extended snorkel and play U-Boat Commander!

Thanks

Those idiots. What exactly was it they were trying to prove? It's almost like it was from a movie or something except...BZZZT Thanks for playing.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I'm gonna have to watch this one... lol

I used to drive those pieces of... those fantastic vehicles (for Ryan).

You know I learned to drive in those actually. LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I take issue with the person filming the NJ Guard. They did get in deeper than they should have, but they went to do a job and err'd. The film maker is making a mockery of them and showing he himself is the ass.

Wouldn't be too hard to maybe offer some assist?

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Rick,
    Just an FYI they were driving the new LMTVs not everyone's favorite M35.

Phil,
    Agree and disagree. Yeah, they were there to do a job and they almost made it! But... There are procedures when deep water fording that even non-military offroaders know about. Namely, don't drive right into water of unknown depth. They weren't even following basics and screwed up and, made even more work for someone to have to come along and recover those vehicles.

Yes, those trucks can take water up to the snorkel intake whatever the height BUT, you need to have someone probing water depth in front if it is unknown depth and take it MUCH slower than they were going to prevent hydrolocking the engine or causing the vehicle to become buoyant. Both of which they managed to accomplish. I'm surprised they didn't even have someone out of the hatch on the roof for navigation since the water was up to the top of the windscreen.

Thanks

Phil, they were dumb asses.

Ryan... I saw the vid, I remember the old 1950s era one, watched it in basic or tech school or something.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Related by the Irene event in timing, but unrelated to the event itself. Seems there is a trend here, as a few weeks ago, Officer Rico, who at one time worked on Biden's detail, came back from Iraq and went mental and died in a shootout here in NoVA.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

US army captain kills four in hurricane rampage
    Aug 29 07:40 PM US/Eastern

A US army captain gunned down his ex-wife, mother-in-law and two other people in a shooting spree during Hurricane Irene before he turned the gun on himself, a justice official told AFP on Monday. Captain Leonard Egland, who is understood to have served in Afghanistan and Iraq, started his rampage on Saturday evening right in the middle of the storm and ended it after a shootout with SWAT teams shortly before dawn Sunday.

Buckingham County district attorney David Heckler said it appeared that Egland committed a triple homicide in Virginia before crossing state lines and killing his estranged wife's mother, following a recent child custody row.
    The soldier, 37, had been the target of a manhunt after the shooting deaths of his 36-year-old former wife, her boyfriend and her boyfriend's son at a house in Chesterfield, Virginia, as Irene swept up the east coast.

He apparently killed them before driving north into Pennsylvania with his young daughter and gunning down his ex-wife's mother, Heckler said.

Police had been alerted after Egland entered a hospital and left a note asking medics to check on his daughter's health but he pulled out a gun and fled in his car when a member of staff confronted him about the youngster.

"He left a note referring to his mother in law. We believe he shot her in the head," said Heckler, noting that police tracked down the car, leading to a pursuit and shootout with SWAT marksmen.

"He had a semi-automatic rifle and fired around 10 shots at police vehicles," injuring one officer, the district attorney added. Egland was later found dead in nearby woodland.
    "From what we have been told there was a legal visitation order involving the child that had allowed Mr Egland take his daughter to California for one week," Heckler said, referring to the soldier's tours of warzones.
    "But the ex-wife threatened legal action after the daughter returned from the visit one week late," he added.

A police pursuit eventually saw Egland pinned down near a gas station. "We have every indication that he died from a self-inflicted gun wound. Everything is consistent with that," Heckler said.

The dead soldier's daughter, aged six or seven according to media reports, is in protective custody, authorities said.

Justice officials in Virginia were unavailable for comment on Monday.

Copyright AFP 2008, AFP stories and photos shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium

Thread Information