Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bus-sized satellite to crash into Earth

Thanks

Default Bus-sized satellite to crash into Earth

Space Weather News for Sept. 20, 2011
    http://spaceweather.com

UARS, a NASA satellite the size of a small bus, will re-enter Earth's atmosphere later this week producing a brilliant fireball somewhere over our planet. Best estimates place the re-entry time during the late hours of Sept. 23rd over a still-unknown region of Earth. Observers of the rapidly-decaying satellite say it is tumbling and flashing, sometimes almost as brightly as Venus. Video images featured on today's edition of http://spaceweather.com show how the doomed satellite looks through a backyard telescope.

Readers who would like to catch a last glimpse of UARS streaking across the night sky should check SpaceWeather's Satellite Tracker for flyby times: http://spaceweather.com/flybys . You can also turn your smartphone into a UARS tracker by downloading our Simple Flybys app: http://simpleflybys.com
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Bus-sized satellite to crash into Earth

Oh noes the tadpoles!

(hardly anyone will get that reference except perhaps for Phil)
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

It'd be nice if all the space junk up there would de-orbit.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

On Mexico.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I was thinking the White House.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Oh. Well, you could see it from there.

I was hoping all of it would fall on Mexico. Wipe out the population, give me a mining opportunity and I'd be able to see it happening.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

This thing is about 1200-1500 pounds of steel, aluminum and other stuff. No hazardous chemicals left onboard. It is going to come down sometime between Thursday and Friday night (most likely).

It will land anywhere from Alaska, through the US, South America, Africa and parts of Europe, and Africa.

I think a global alert has been put out. LOL

Billions of people are at risk. LOL

I have no idea where it's gonna go. Wonder if homeowners insurance will cover this if it hits someone's home.....
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I figured I already alerted him. LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I will do a special novena. God is good. If destiny is good, it will land straight on the ranch, driving a 150 meter hole for a free well.

My trees are very wimpy and thirsty. It is dry as Somalia here. So be it.

I missed Mass yesterday because Juan Pablo II's test tube blood relics were on display.
    But I checked my butthole twice for ticks, since I found one Saturday sucking at my spinal cord. (chord) la, la, ti.

I do some jobs- even most Mexicans wont. (only one wasp got me so far), and that's cuz I run fast.

So here's the real deal- don't matter if your a (n) asshole, half catholic, half ass catholic, christian, satanist, protestant or whatever.

I found a new eficacious devotion to Jesus( that's our "bro"- united w/ the Holy Ghost & Dad) w/the Blessed Virgen Mary. This is the shortest rosary ever.

7 hail Mary's. or aves marias better- the Latin is much better

& meditate (briefly) on the 7 sorrows of the BVM.

the 7 sorrows are ez. (next post). The devotion was (perhaps) imho (very, very,probably) received & propogated by St. Bridget of Sweden. ... including a promise to those who daily do their ...7 hail mary's & reflection.

the promise is direct entry to heaven. //no purgatory//

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

Thanks

the 7 sorrows of Mary are simple.
    setcccb.
    simeon's prophecy- your soul will be pierced w/ a sword
    egypt- the flight to Egypt- Joe & Mar beat feet from herod's grasp, after the slaughter of innocents, meant to kill jesus
    temple- at 12- Jesus sticks behind (perhaps rappin w/ Nicodemus & Joseph of arimathea)- Joe & Mary lost their son in jerusalem.
    c- mary meets Jesus on the road to Calvary- (after the whippin& crowning w/ thorns)
    c-Crucified- the Mother of God watches, and without sin.
    c- cross taking- she takes her Son down from the Cross
    b- buries her Son, w/ help from Nicodemus, Joseph, & prob susanna, cleophas, Maria Magdalena etc.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

Thanks

purgatory is an ez concept. It is in the Bible in various parable, most notably the debit man who wouldn't forgive, yet also in the story of lazurus & the rich man.

(plus purgatory is about 3/4 as scary as hell), since God only know's when the world will end and many bad sins could get one to purgatory till the end of the world)

God is infinitely merciful, yet also just.
    Ok- I'm not a protestant but here's the cite- mathew-18(all) or 23-etc.
    One guy owed 10,000 talents or about 60,000,000 daily work wages. The king ordered him to jail, with his wife & kids. (like happened to Charles Dickens)- who later wrote "a Christmas Carol" & also a very fine synopsis of the gospel for his children.

So this guy(we'll call him ah), pleaded mercy, saying he'll pay later & the king let him go.

So what did ah do? he collared the first guy who owed him 100 denarios- about 3mos wages, or 600 denarios- as opposed to the 60 million he was forgiven. And he had the small debt guy sent to jail.

Now when the "Real King" found out- he put ah in prison....until he paid the last cent (avo) if you will.

canto XXV Dante

Shema Israel

Thanks

Actually I am not surprised that the Air Force is not (to my knowledge) using this bus as target practice. (debt problem) It would likely be Very expensive.

Rather anomolously, I did have friendship with a very high up in NASA, in the 80's. He was a devout Catholic, cared well for his ms wife, and mentioned some details about making use of the garbage in space that will come down- in the context of the 7 sorrows, which has two chapels in the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Wash., D.C.

= 0 well- the shit's goin down. I hope 7 hailMary's etc. for 100 thousand miracles.

canto XXV Dante

Shema Israel

Thanks

I don't think mankind has put up all that space junk in an effort to rain down God's Wrath, Sami. /chuckles

Looks like this thing is coming down tomorrow, about noon and will probably hit somewhere in the United States.

I SAY this only because of the sudden interest that FEMA has in this. They suddenly took an interest about 3-4 days ago, a quiet interest, but now NASA and them are working quietly behind the scenes and no one has yet said WHERE this thing might land.

So, I'm guessing the US someplace and possibly over a populated region of the country.

Just a guess
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...-in-real-time/

Air & Space - SCITECH

Track NASA's Falling, 6.5-Ton Satellite in Real-Time

Published September 21, 2011
    | FoxNews.com

NASA
    An artist's concept of the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS) satellite in space. The 6 1/2-ton satellite was deployed from space shuttle Discovery in 1991 and decommissioned in December 2005.

In a matter of days, the sky will actually be falling.
    A defunct NASA atmosphere-monitoring satellite the size of a small bus is set to plunge to Earth somewhere between Thursday and Saturday -- and the space agency's scientists say there's no way to precisely determine where it will crash, be it Africa or America, the Pacific Ocean or Pacific Heights.
    But thanks to a neat widget built exclusively for FoxNews.com by the satellite-tracking website N2YO.com, you can watch the UARS satellite as it courses through the heavens -- see the embedded module below.
    Pinpointing where and when hurtling space debris will strike is an imprecise science. To calculate the orbit, N2YO.com runs information from the U.S. Air Force Space Command through a series of algorithms, and overlays it on mapping data from Google.
    For now, scientists predict the earliest it will hit is Thursday U.S. time, the latest Saturday. The strike zone covers most of Earth.
    Not that citizens need to take cover. The satellite will break into pieces, and NASA put the chances that somebody somewhere will get hurt at just 1-in-3,200 -- low enough that some people are making a game of the whole thing.
    One Irish company is even allowing people to gamble on the crash site. Paddy Power, Ireland's largest bookmaker, has placed the odds that the satellite will crash in the Pacific Ocean at 8/11, followed by the Atlantic at 2/1.
    “This is an absolute lottery," a spokesman for the site said. "It really could land anywhere, but I think it would be best for everyone if the satellite went for a dip.”
    As far as anyone knows, falling space debris has never injured anyone. Nor has significant property damage been reported. That's because most of the planet is covered in water and there are vast regions of empty land.
    If you do come across what you suspect is a satellite piece, NASA doesn't want you to pick it up. The space agency says there are no toxic chemicals present, but there could be sharp edges. Also, it's government property. It's against the law to keep it as a souvenir or sell it on eBay. NASA's advice is to report it to the police.
    The 20-year-old research satellite is expected to break into more than 100 pieces as it enters the atmosphere, most of it burning up. Twenty-six of the heaviest metal parts are expected to reach Earth, the biggest chunk weighing about 300 pounds (136 kilograms). The debris could be scattered over an area about 500 miles (800 kilometers) long.
    Due to heavy demand, the module below -- built exclusively for FoxNews.com by N2YO.com -- may take several minutes to load.
    Jonathan McDowell, for one, isn't worried. He is in the potential strike zone -- along with most of the world's 7 billion citizens. McDowell is with the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
    "There's stuff that's heavy that falls out of the sky almost every year," McDowell says. So far this year, he noted, two massive Russian rocket stages have taken the plunge.
    As for the odds of the satellite hitting someone, "it's a small chance. We take much bigger chances all the time in our lives," McDowell says. "So I'm not putting my tin helmet on or hiding under a rock."
    All told, 1,200 pounds (544 kilograms) of wreckage is expected to smack down -- the heaviest pieces made of titanium, stainless steel or beryllium. That represents just one-tenth the mass of the satellite, which stretches 35 feet (10.7 meters) long and 15 feet (4.6 meters) in diameter.
    The strike zone straddles all points between latitudes 57 degrees north and 57 degrees south. That's as far north as Edmonton and Alberta, Canada, and Aberdeen, Scotland, and as far south as Cape Horn, the southernmost tip of South America. Every continent but Antarctica is in the crosshairs.
    Back when UARS, the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite, was launched to study the ozone layer in 1991, NASA didn't always pay attention to the "what goes up must come down" rule. Nowadays, satellites must be designed either to burn up on re-entering the atmosphere or to have enough fuel to be steered into a watery grave or up into a higher, long-term orbit.
    The $740 million UARS was decommissioned in 2005, after NASA lowered its orbit with the little remaining fuel on board. NASA didn't want to keep it up longer than necessary, for fear of a collision or an exploding fuel tank, either of which would have left a lot of space litter.
    If it happens in darkness, it should be visible.
    "If someone is lucky enough to be near the re-entry at nighttime, they'll get quite a show," says Matney, who works at Johnson Space Center in Houston, also in the potential strike zone.
    Space junk in general is on the rise, much of it destroyed or broken satellites and chunks of used rockets. More than 20,000 manmade objects at least 4 inches (10.2 centimeters) in diameter are being tracked in orbit.
    It's mostly a threat to astronauts in space, rather than people on Earth. In June, the six residents of the International Space Station took shelter in their docked Soyuz lifeboats because of passing debris. The unidentified object came within 1,100 feet (335.2 meters) of the complex, the closest call yet.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

LOL..... Good for you Peterle.... Make sure you find out if it is at night, get up and take good video!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Different orbits. They dunno which orbit on which it will... ummm deorbit
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

No... it will cause Pompeii to explode again! LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Shit! I ain't even on the map. I was waitin till sundown & the rocket ship dint show.
    Maybe tomorrow. It is Padre Pio's saint day.

canto XXV Dante

Shema Israel

Thanks

Sounding more like it's going to reenter some time this evening now (USA East coast time)
    Libertatem Prius!

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Cloudy with rain around DC. No light show here unless it makes land contact here. I will be at work til 2000 hrs EDT

Thread Information