Thread: Looking for ideas

Thanks

Default Looking for ideas

I am in the process of creating a story of an alternate history in which the Native Americans were not defeated. There is still a United States of America, only a few of the states are somewhat different in that they are separate countries. North America somewhat resembles parts of Asia, where the various stan countries are located, Pakistan, Afghanistan, armpitistan.

The Civil War still occurred and the South still lost, but a lot of the plains and part of the southwest remained under control of the American Indian, with their allies, the English,Spanish and French.

The three main countries of Native America consists of Lakota Souix, Comanche/Apache and Hopi. While they united in their war of independence, they very much resemble the different tribes in the stan countries.

I am trying to have no more than four story lines. Like the title of the thread, I am just looking for ideas at this point. This board seems a good place to start my quest. The dreamer in me sees royalites to be shared.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Default Re: Looking for ideas

What is the year?

Extrapolate out something. For example, is Michigan in Indian Territory? Maybe Henry Ford didn't do his thing and while there are horseless carriages, the rapid assembly lines never came about until much later and the Japanese Kanban system was adopted much earlier. This lead to JIT manufacturing earlier and this means production gets severely curtailed during war time because lean manufacturing means no one can afford to stockpile parts and finished assemblies.

Actions have consequences. Set up a trade route with the Indian territories that gets besieged regularly by "patriots" that think the Indians should be wiped out on the 'English' side of the border and rogue braves on the Indian side of the border who feel that no one should treat with the white devil who holds a forked tongue.

Pick a leader who is a ruthless son of a bitch and gets his comeuppance later on but offers no end of strife for your protagonist. Also pick a benevolent leader who despite his best efforts must choose between bad and worse and awful and during his entire rule is betrayed endlessly by underlings vying for power.

Do not write an exposition narrative. No one will want to read it. I don't mean no exposition, I'm talking about something that is a journey without conflict. While beautiful and thought provoking, it will bore most readers and they won't finish it. I'm one of those goofy guys that likes to take journeys but most people aren't.

I would keep going but most people don't ever read what I write anyway so I'll stop here.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Thanks Mal, those are some good ideas! I wasn't planning an epic type thing, more of a series of short stories, think Doc Savage. The time will most likely be called, present day.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

I like alternate history stories but, I'm the last person able to offer creative ideas.

Good luck in your endeavor Luke!

Thanks

The dreamer in me sees royalites to be shared.

50-50%.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I am trying to have no more than four story lines.
    1. White non-Indian family in the non-Indian controlled territories are traders with the Indians. Detail their day to day life dealing with Indians who do not trust them, our government rules as related to dealing with the Indians, etc.

2. 1 Indian family resists and refuses all contact with the white man. Detail their day to day life, struggles, etc.

3. Detail the life of 1 Indian chief, his struggles to keep his people safe and fed, etc.

4. 1 lone wolf Indian, who wishes for the days his GG grandfather described: killing the white man, killing other Indians, etc. Detail his struggles to reconcile his wishes for the past, and the realities of today.

That'll be $29.95.

Good luck with your book.

Thanks

Good idea Backstop, The hard part may be painting the history up until the story takes place, without sounding like a history book.

Thanks

Don't do any pre-painting.

Tell the history, as you tell the story.

Maybe use the characters to relate their past experiences, the experiences of their relatives, stories that are passed down from generation to generation, and comic books.

OK...I'm joking about the comic books.
    Last edited by Backstop; October 5th, 2011 at 02:55.

Thanks

Your $29.95 check will be in the mail as soon as project is sold Senior Backstop.

Total profit so far, -$29.95 owed to Backstop, so I guess I can expect your check for $14.95 in a few days Samizdat.

In the twisted land of Lukestan, there now exists, at least 2 new members of the United Nations. Comancharia and The Republic of Lakota.

Unfortunately, all the good Indian names are taken. I may have to resort to using the English/French alliance.

Thanks

Cool - good luck.

Now that I'm thinking about it, there is at least one other member here writing a book.

Wonder how those are going?

I'll let them chime in if they want.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

I think you are referring to me, Backstop. Well, I was at a major block, but had a very significant change in my life that eased that block. As it is a true story, the impact of being the writer who was so close to the events made for some tough spots. In the meantime I started another small project that is half finished. The point of that one is becoming moot.

Thanks

Luke,

While I like reading alternate stories, I am not so good with the creative side. I am really more an analytical non fiction writer. That said, I really like the input from Mal. I did read it, Mal.

If I could present one thought, though. In your preamble of events, I would agree to minimize a history telling, except as a possibility, describing an event as it relates to a character.

For example. I have an relationship of time and person with the big west coast power outage in the summer of 1996. Most adults do remember that squirrel in Oregon that caused a cascade effect of power loss on the west coast. It is only significant to that person because of other aspects to that outage.

Thanks

It was just a friendly, anonymous jab Phil, and I hope you took it as such.

Thanks

Its ok Backstop. I make no secret that I write. Only the subject matter.

Thanks

Gotcha.

Didn't know before, so...

Thread Information