Thread: The Civil War

Thanks

Default The Civil War

I have been addicted to history since I was around 9. One of the 1st books I ever purchased was about the worlds greatest battles. As I recall it told the story of different battles from Marathon, to the battle of Hastings, the Civil War all the way to Omaha Beach and the Battle of the Bulge.

Now that we have reached the 150th anniversary of the Civil War I have been enjoying the stories on the History Channel.

I can't wrap my mind around the number of causalities of the different battles. From 620,000 up to 700,00. Over 50,00 at Gettysburg.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Default Re: The Civil War

I can't wrap my mind around the number of causalities of the different battles. From 620,000 up to 700,00. Over 50,00 at Gettysburg.

I read some stuff awhile back on my kindle. Stories about battles on the Great Lakes, War of 1812, British, US and Indians. There were some nasty massacres where they killed women, children and the dogs....
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

History hasn't always been as accurate with the number of deaths reported in early American battles. For instance, some historical sources, as well as the movie Last of the Mohicans, show a complete slaughter of British soldiers, families and support personnel at the surrender of Fort William Henry (French and Indian War). When in fact only roughly 100 were killed when opposing Native American tribesmen expressed their anger and frustration when they weren't paid as well as expected in return for their allegiance to the French. The tale grows grander with the telling. Hollywood has never been too concerned about telling the truth either.

Thanks

I have a suspicion we will find the numbers were more accurate in the civil war than any thing else.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Keep in mind that these were all Americans. I dare say some of those killed were relatives of members of this board. It seems at the end of most major battles there were "bounties" for burial rites plus unmarked mass graves. An accurate count would probably not be able to be done, yet I suspect at that time the estimates given were on the low side to keep the moral up on both sides, military and civilian. Also bear in mind that many of the victims were not considered anything less than property.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Another saying:

"The victor writes the history books."

Thanks

Numbers from the Civil War as a whole can be roughly estimated from simply knowing how many citizens we had at the start vs the end, subtract births and non war deaths recorded.

This will of course be an estimate.

Thanks

True enough that the victor writes the history, yet in a Civil War both sides lose.

By the way Phil, your Avatar scares the hell out of me with each wink!

Thanks

Thank you Mr Luke. While my intent was not to scare with the Avatar, it is interesting you would see that aspect. I felt a simple picture would not suffice, so made a animated gif with stages of the wink. In fact, that eye is a very innocent eye. One that lacks malice of any type. The bearer of that eye was actually holding a serious but inquisitive look.

And yes, both sides do lose in a Civil War. If we were to degrade to open Civil War again, as opposed to the tenuous breeches we now see, it would indeed be a lose lose situation due to casualties.

Thread Information