Companion Post:

Army 2-star fired for criticizing Afghans

Staff writer
Posted : Friday Nov 4, 2011 17:54:09 EDT

Staff file photo Army Maj. Gen. Peter Fuller was quoted criticizing Afghan leaders, including President Hamid Karzai, saying they were “isolated from reality.”

Army Maj. Gen. Peter Fuller was fired Friday for comments attributed to him in Politico.

Gen. John R. Allen, commander of International Security Assistance Force, relieved Fuller, effective immediately, as deputy commander for Programs, NATO Training Mission-Afghanistan.

More from Fuller
Army Maj. Gen. Peter Fuller appeared on “This Week in Defense News” only days before his Politico comments.
Segment 1
Segment 2

Fuller was in Washington for a series of briefings at the Pentagon and Congress on the progress of training the Afghans to take over security in their own country.

Politico quoted Fuller criticizing Afghan leaders — and President Hamid Karzai — saying they were “isolated from reality.”

Allen’s reaction was swift and severe: “These unfortunate comments are neither indicative of our current solid relationship with the government of Afghanistan, its leadership, or our joint commitment to prevail here in Afghanistan,” he said. “The Afghan people are an honorable people, and comments such as these will not keep us from accomplishing our most critical and shared mission — bringing about a stable, peaceful and prosperous Afghanistan.”

According to Politico, Fuller slammed Karzai for saying Afghanistan would side with Pakistan in a war against the U.S.

Politico quoted Fuller saying of Karzai: “Why don’t you just poke me in the eye with a needle! You’ve got to be kidding me … I’m sorry, we just gave you $11.6 billion and now you’re telling me, ‘I don’t really care’?”

Fuller could not be reached for comment by presstime.