Thread: Linux - Ubuntu 11.10

Thanks

Default Linux - Ubuntu 11.10

I've been running linux now for many years, everything from some early versions to Red Hat, now Ubuntu.

I've got an old (2003) Compaq Presario 2170US lap top. It was for a long time my main computer, eventually moving over to the Ham Radio desk to run my teletype, packet and more lately other forms of radio communications using digital modulations.

The machines was running only XP and was bogged down and slow as hell for some reason. After running virus checkers, anti-spyware stuff and other tests I couldn't determine the reason the machine was running like a dog.

A few days ago, I started attempting to install Ubuntu (version 11.10) next to the Windows XP OS I was running to no avail. I guess making a CD on one old machine and moving it to another old CD drive was the main issue.

I've tried several things.

Finally I connected an external DVD R/W drive via a special cable I have to the USB port, and STILL could not get the Ubuntu 11.10 to boot right. It comes up to a purple screen at which I should be able to get a menu by hitting any key.

So, I tried a different tactic.

Loading the CD into the drive gives you some other options, either loading it fully to the HD, or loading it "Through Windows".

Decided to go that route.

Eventually (been playing with this for four days now, sigh) I was able to load version 10.04, upgrade to 10.10. Then I re-downloaded the 11.10 version to my new 16gb flash drive and copied the ISO using my lap top to a fresh CD rom on the plugged-in CD writer. Then restarted everything again.

Now I was able to not only read the CD, but install the software (so I guess the old CD drive is flaky or something, but it works on Windows stuff).

In any case, I am now running Ubuntu 11.10 on the laptop, "sideways" through windows.

Essentially it comes up and gives me the chance to boot to windows XP or to Linux as normal. I can unload it just like any other software through windows if I want to wipe it off the disk too!

UInfortunately, I still can not get a CD to load "normally" from the CD rom drive and I'm not sure if that is an issue with the autoboot set up or what but at least I have both.

AND I was able to get one of my older Wifi cards recognized and working!

Now, I am sitting here awaiting the final updates and patches for 11.10 before taking this on a test drive.

Also, ordered a new battery for the old laptop, and perhaps I can get another 3-4 years out of it?

Eventually, I'll be purchasing some kind of ruggedized laptop for the boat - but that will be down the road a bit more. In the mean time, I can use this and my netbook on the boat for communications via HF and sending email, etc
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Linux - Ubuntu 11.10

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 right now on a Toshiba Satellite laptop that had XP on it. Windows was so horrible I tried everything and couldn't take it anymore a few years ago and made the switch I loaded Ubuntu on here and just got rid of XP. This computer I bought in 04 or 05 I think can't remember with windows it was headed to the bone yard but since I put Linux on here I love it.

I got a new laptop 2 years ago with 7 on it but I never use it I leave that to the wife.

I wonder how upgrading to 11.10 would go for me?

Thanks

Shouldn't be difficult. There's a couple good tutorials out there. Lemme see...

try this:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/34430...the-latest-one
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Make sure you back up any data you need to save!!!!

Don't forget that. I lost pretty much everything on the lap top when the first few attempts failed miserably.

I need to see if I can get another chunk of memory in this one. Right now it has a 512Meg chip and 256meg chip. I'm wondering if it will take 2 each 1 gig memory chips, but don't know. Need to look it up.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Glad you brought backing up everything lol....I will explore that link.

Do you use terminal commands much. I have a little but only to the point of really copying and pasting what I needed to get something to install.

I would like to find a program that teaches terminal or maybe another way, videos or something.

Thanks

I use some, but mostly when I do, I have a book opened in front of me, a web site that is doing a walk through or whatever.

I came to realize many years ago that I'm NOT a programmer. My memory isn't built in such a fashion as to remember codes and commands. I usually take notes on things I want to remember and either have a notebook or a file to tell me what the hell I was doing when I stopped whatever it was I was doing, so I can get back to the spot I was at.

When it comes to computers, I'm pretty good - but I'm still a Graphical User Interface kind of guy.

You can, by the way do ALL of the upgrades through GUI. If you go to that site, it basically shows you step by step.

If you're going for 11.10, I'd suggest you CAREFULLY follow that site and do as it says, and upgrade to 10.10 first (I think that is correct) then just to 11.04 or 11.10 whichever you can get to.

Apparently you really should go one step at a time.

WOOT! Looks like this is done, and WORKING very well. I think I will switch to the lap top and drive it awhile now.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

You can install it - either side by side with windows or through windows.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Do NOT download and use 12.01 LTS yet. It ain't ready, I tried it yesterday and it's broken. lol

You want 10. or 11. whichever one you can get.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGEUSAF View Post
    Glad you brought backing up everything lol....I will explore that link.

Do you use terminal commands much. I have a little but only to the point of really copying and pasting what I needed to get something to install.

I would like to find a program that teaches terminal or maybe another way, videos or something.
    Just found this: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Oneiric

I looked at the intro and the first bit is using bash commands in terminal mode, to tell you which version of Ubuntu you're using, etc. Thought it might come in handy.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Ok, I got my workhorse bumped up to Ubuntu 11.10. So far so good, took some time to go from 10.04 all the way up to the latest stable version. Quite different in layout but I seem to be getting used to it after only having a half day. Once I figured out how to keep programs on the sidebar that made life a little easier. I was going to go nuts hunting down terminal that many times lol.

What it is nice is gpredict (satellite tracking software) is working again for me. I managed to crash it by having too many things going so I couldn't get it back but going to this version of the operating system fixed something and it could handle the load and let me go back to tracking NOAA satellites.

Thanks

You CAN change it to the more standard thing with the upper and lower task bars. I don't remember how I did it though, lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Well... I trashed the laptop lol

I was doing something a couple of weeks ago and somehow screwed it up so badly it wouldn't boot.

I even lost my windows partitions.

I have reformatted everything and tried to start over, but simply can't run linux "sideways" through windows - it slows the machine down too much.

So, I started looking for a different version I could run on that old laptop.

The only thing I can get running from a live cd is "puppy linux". Kinda cool.

But, can't get grub to boot the machine directly. So I spent yesterday and today researching it.

Linux is a great OS if you can waste your bloody time on it.

If you ask a question in a forum or on a chat room everyone tells you RTFM....

I rarely have days to sit and figure something out especially lately, but I spent yesterday (I also spent Friday, and Saturday downloading every linux distro I could get my hands on making CDs... none of them booted. Bah!) and part of today at work since I have more resources here to look things up than home, and found out what I am doing wrong.

Technically, it's the OS doing it wrong, not me. So I should be able to fix it at home later. we shall see.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

0 years and 2 dats using linux_ubunto 12.4
    Ok... this part may belong on the duh_dumb thread. I saw a rubber dingee near the hard disk (disco duro), so I said...this ch! seemz like an extra washer on an alternater:swash: no need for hammer. I broke it! screwed it good! No problem, switched dd's, it fit and i got the keyboard back on after 7 attempts. Meanwhile, using an usb keyboard: I kouldn't git w-7 on (boot mngr)_ missing device. So fuck that: I put UBUFU on a stick- EZ: 15 minutes. Stuck it in and in 15 minutes I had firefox w/ 3-5 megabyte speed. (i get .256 on w)...
    So after i finally slid the right flap and shit in the keyboard, I got a new disc and stuck w-7 in a stick and stuck it in. (ok 4 w-7...had to download a driver or 3 and it works. Then I put UBUNTU in (installed). better. I put in in (side by side), but the komp still alwaze boots in w-7...unless i put the bios to usb w/ the stick in. so I must have fucked up somewhere, or did something good in my wicked childhood, cuz I hate grubs.

notes:
    1. ubunto on a stick(usb) work fine & fast_ no intall/nada just switch bios to load frum usb and powee.
    2. Mine's installed, so fuller I reckon, even tho it dont "dual boot", thats my prob, possibly due to a fubard bios.

3. I read linux is getting to be 50%....if so, the legend that no antivirus is needed must be a lie...so I read that avast has a special version 4 ubuntu.

so for folk who've been using linux, I do have 2 questions

1. I'm used to chrome, so does it really support chrome well, or alternately, I've never used firefox before...can I import bookmarks from chrome, and is firefox easy to use? I didn't like it so well.

2. What's a good stable "dinosaur" linux os to put in 98-2003 type motherboard environments, which support an external wireless.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samizdat View Post
    0 years and 2 dats using linux_ubunto 12.4
    Ok... this part may belong on the duh_dumb thread. I saw a rubber dingee near the hard disk (disco duro), so I said...this ch! seemz like an extra washer on an alternater:swash: no need for hammer. I broke it! screwed it good! No problem, switched dd's, it fit and i got the keyboard back on after 7 attempts. Meanwhile, using an usb keyboard: I kouldn't git w-7 on (boot mngr)_ missing device. So fuck that: I put UBUFU on a stick- EZ: 15 minutes. Stuck it in and in 15 minutes I had firefox w/ 3-5 megabyte speed. (i get .256 on w)...
    So after i finally slid the right flap and shit in the keyboard, I got a new disc and stuck w-7 in a stick and stuck it in. (ok 4 w-7...had to download a driver or 3 and it works. Then I put UBUNTU in (installed). better. I put in in (side by side), but the komp still alwaze boots in w-7...unless i put the bios to usb w/ the stick in. so I must have fucked up somewhere, or did something good in my wicked childhood, cuz I hate grubs.

notes:
    1. ubunto on a stick(usb) work fine & fast_ no intall/nada just switch bios to load frum usb and powee.
    2. Mine's installed, so fuller I reckon, even tho it dont "dual boot", thats my prob, possibly due to a fubard bios.

3. I read linux is getting to be 50%....if so, the legend that no antivirus is needed must be a lie...so I read that avast has a special version 4 ubuntu.

so for folk who've been using linux, I do have 2 questions

1. I'm used to chrome, so does it really support chrome well, or alternately, I've never used firefox before...can I import bookmarks from chrome, and is firefox easy to use? I didn't like it so well.

2. What's a good stable "dinosaur" linux os to put in 98-2003 type motherboard environments, which support an external wireless.
    i attempted an install of the avast linux version but the fact you can only get it from a russian based url makes me suspicious and i did not install. i dumped it. im using clam AV and its working fine. im using the latest and greatest and i DO dual boot. only the lastest versions 10, 11, and 12 are really stable or really workable as far as wifi goes. thats the nature of the beast.

in order to dual boot using your usb, youll need to have something interrupt the boot sequence and take you to the boot choices menu. if you have both OS's on the hard disk the boot manager will recognize that and interrupt and offer a choice before opening the default at the time out. And, windows boot loader doesnt recognize linux so you'd need Grub or Grub 2.0 instead.

as far as market share, linux is NOT approaching 50%. not even close. that said, it is growing in popularity, especially as steam is developed and possibility of real gaming in a linux environment becomes reality. as far as safety goes, log in as standard user not root. use a firewall. use clam av. update often.

as far as browsers go, chrome is well supported in linux, especially ubuntu. install and use it with confidence. however from a security standpoint i would point you to and recommend opera.

-Ev

Thanks

There are dozens if not hundreds of various flavors of Linux. I for one wouldn't go to a russian site to download anything.

I would stick to something in the US.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Thanx for the update, ev. I'll likely go with clam; I used that once before in an old machine; and check out opera. I like chrome cuz it saves my favorites & I can read the news w/out "googling".

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

Thread Information