I have been noticing a lot of negativity from the taking heads in the past few weeks from the taking heads in regaurds to the military. I haven't seen any other threads about the recent troubles in Afghanistan.

It would seem that the media has grown oblivious to the fact that war has, as so eloquently stated before "hell". Since I never served in the military, I hope to not be offensive to those who have/are serving. Here's my take on things. Books have been burned since they were first printed. Matters not to me if it is the Koran, the Torah, the Bible or Huck Finn. While it is wrong, once the idea is printed and read it lives, so if the book is destroyed it is not a reason to commit violence.

On the matter of the Marine killing 16 people in Afghanistan I can't help but have memories of my Dad. I have been looking through some of his old scrapbooks.
I remember when the My-Lia massacre was brought to light it hit Dad hard. He told me about some things that had occured in WW2 and Korea. It was his feeling that he had committed crimes of a similar nature. I will never forget hearing his screams and nightmares for quite a while after that. I could never condone murder, however what do people exspect to happen after continous deployment. Folks in the military are trained to kill, that is the purpose of the military when all the nut cutting is done. Frankly I am surprised more of this type thing has not occurred more often.

I am reminded of a line in a movie, I think it was a Bruce Willis movie where he played the part of military commander. Something to the effect of "you really don't want the military in your city." I think that has been case since we had a military. War powers are something all countries have a right to create. How it is used is more the result of politicians. Ike had it right when he said beware of the "military industrial complex"

It would seem that the politicians from the time of Custer and the 7th upto today, if there is any blame assigned perhaps some should be directed towards Washington.