Thread: The nature of the beast.

Thanks

Default The nature of the beast.

I have been noticing a lot of negativity from the taking heads in the past few weeks from the taking heads in regaurds to the military. I haven't seen any other threads about the recent troubles in Afghanistan.

It would seem that the media has grown oblivious to the fact that war has, as so eloquently stated before "hell". Since I never served in the military, I hope to not be offensive to those who have/are serving. Here's my take on things. Books have been burned since they were first printed. Matters not to me if it is the Koran, the Torah, the Bible or Huck Finn. While it is wrong, once the idea is printed and read it lives, so if the book is destroyed it is not a reason to commit violence.

On the matter of the Marine killing 16 people in Afghanistan I can't help but have memories of my Dad. I have been looking through some of his old scrapbooks.
    I remember when the My-Lia massacre was brought to light it hit Dad hard. He told me about some things that had occured in WW2 and Korea. It was his feeling that he had committed crimes of a similar nature. I will never forget hearing his screams and nightmares for quite a while after that. I could never condone murder, however what do people exspect to happen after continous deployment. Folks in the military are trained to kill, that is the purpose of the military when all the nut cutting is done. Frankly I am surprised more of this type thing has not occurred more often.

I am reminded of a line in a movie, I think it was a Bruce Willis movie where he played the part of military commander. Something to the effect of "you really don't want the military in your city." I think that has been case since we had a military. War powers are something all countries have a right to create. How it is used is more the result of politicians. Ike had it right when he said beware of the "military industrial complex"

It would seem that the politicians from the time of Custer and the 7th upto today, if there is any blame assigned perhaps some should be directed towards Washington.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Default Re: The nature of the beast.

Luke, in regards to the books, I believe our troops followed protocol. The bad guys were using them to pass messages. They burned them because of that. As far as I know, when their book is desecrated it is proper to burn it. And I could be wrong about that, but that is my understanding.

I don't know much about the details in regards to the 16 dead. I have no opinion because I have yet to gather any data on it.

I would say that when we are trying to gain hearts and minds of people to have them help us find the bad guys, this kind of action is not good. One of the things that helped us in Iraq was how poorly the bad guys treated the Iraqi locals. The locals turned on al qeada eventually. We don't want to be repeating their very poor behavior.

Overall, I can say that our Troops have done an outstanding job and I stand with them all.

As far as assigning blame to Washington, the way I see it is that a good leader always takes the heat when things go bad and hands out the praise to the Troops when things go good. I am not expecting this kind of behavior from your current leader.
    Beetle - Give me liberty or give me something to aim at.

A monster lies in wait for me
    A stew of pain and misery
    But feircer still in life and limb
    the me that lays in wait for him

Hey liberal!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can't handle the truth!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

In regards to the burned koran books.

They were being used to pass messages to one another and were confiscated.

When the commander said "Get rid of these" the troops did just that.. and let me explain from my own personal point of view having been in places before and having to get "rid of this" the shit was burned. ALL OF IT.

Whether it was classified or unclassified. If it was something that was in the way, extra or stuff that had to be destroyed IT WAS FUCKING BURNED.

The asswipes that killed Americans over this should be arrested, tried and if found guilty, executed. Just like any other murderer.

The Marine that went out and murdered 16 innocents should be examined by medical authorities to determine if he has something mental wrong with him.

If he does, then the people who are GUILTY are those who sent him back for a fourth friggin' tour.

If he isn't "sick" then he too ought to be executed for his crime of murder if found guilty.

There's a big God Damned difference in defending yourself in a time of war, and going into homes and killing innocent children in their sleep.
    Libertatem Prius!

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

'Suicide attack bid' on US Defence Secretary

- Car bursts into flames on runway
    - Fears Leon Panetta's plane was target

Drama ... US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta feared to have been target of assassination bid

Exclusive

By DAVID WILLETTS, Defence Correspondent

Last Updated: 15th March 2012

US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta is feared to have been the target of a suicide attack at Camp Bastion today.

27 comments
    Related Stories

A vehicle got on to the runway and burst into flames as Mr Panetta's plane landed in Afghanistan this morning.

The suspected attack also hurt a British squaddie but the extent of the injuries are currently unknown.

The drama unfolded just hours ago on the sprawling base — Britain's main outpost in the warzone.

Defence supremo Mr Panetta flew into Afghanistan today to quell fears after a US soldier went on the rampage killing 16 innocent Afghans.

But as his plane was landing a vehicle appeared on the runway and subsequently caught fire.

Sources at the scene claim it was a suicide attack — but those allegations have not yet been officially confirmed.

Camp Bastion ... Leon Panetta's plane was landing at British base in Afghanistan

An individual inside the vehicle is receiving medical care for burns, sources say.

The camp went into immediate lockdown and an investigation has been launched.

An Afghani is believed to have made the deliberate attempt on Mr Panetta after he broke through defences and drove a vehicle towards his aircraft.

He then went past the perimeter surrounded by armed security and large concrete block guards.

Disaster was only averted when the truck caught fire and crashed into a ditch on the runway close to where Mr Panetta's jet had landed or was set to land.

First reports suggest there was no explosives device inside the vehicle.

But it is thought the car was heading towards a welcoming committee for Mr Panetta.

However it then burst into flames — possibly after being shot at — and the alleged perpetrator was arrested by security teams.

An ISAF spokesperson said: "We are aware of an incident today at Camp Bastion where a vehicle caught on fire. The driver of the vehicle is being medically treated.

"We are currently investigating to determine more facts of this incident.

"At no point was anyone on the aircraft at danger from this incident."

The visit was unannounced and shrouded in secrecy until he safely touched down.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

I would agree that there is a difference in killing innocent women and children in their homes, that is wrong. My point is that it is just as wrong today as it should have been when the US military did it to the Native Americans. We should have evolved some since those days.

If you train thousands of humans to kill, it is unfortunately human nature that a few are going to jump the track. Add to this formula an ongoing decade long war with multiple deployments and the situation becomes more explosive all the time.

Such is the nature of war?
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thread Information