Thread: NBC's Revolution

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default NBC's Revolution

http://www.nbc.com/revolution/

About the Show

Our entire way of life depends on electricity. So what would happen if it just stopped working? Well, one day, like a switch turned off, the world is suddenly thrust back into the dark ages. Planes fall from the sky, hospitals shut down, and communication is impossible. And without any modern technology, who can tell us why?

Now, 15 years later, life is back to what it once was long before the industrial revolution: families living in quiet cul-de-sacs, and when the sun goes down, the lanterns and candles are lit. Life is slower and sweeter. Or is it?

On the fringes of small farming communities, danger lurks. And a young woman's life is dramatically changed when a local militia arrives and kills her father, who mysteriously - and unbeknownst to her - had something to do with the blackout. This brutal encounter sets her and two unlikely companions off on a daring coming-of-age journey to find answers about the past in the hopes of reclaiming the future.

From director Jon Favreau ("Iron Man," "Iron Man 2") and the fertile imaginations of J.J. Abrams and Eric Kripke ("Supernatural"), comes a surprising "what if" action-adventure series, where an unlikely hero will lead the world out of the dark. Literally.
    YouTube: Revolution - Trailer

Looks and sounds interesting which means it should only be on for a season, if that.

Thanks

Default Re: New NBC Show This Fall - "Revolution"

I agree with Ryan, this show has potential, which means it will go the way of Firefly.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

sounds like the ending of Escape from LA

Thanks

an EMP movie! Awesome! From Jon Favreau? Awesomer!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Is "Awesomer" even a word?
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Oh, wait, it's a TV show?

Hmm, probably competing with Dark Skies.

I wonder if they're following the script(with liberties) from Dies the Fire?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I'm intrigued.

Thanks

Well, NOT an EMP movie exactly... but definitely intriguing.

Watched the video on the laptop I finally got working right. I hate computers sometimes... I have no idea why I ever got into electronics, computers, radios and electrical systems.....

Maybe I'll get a break if that shit happens. LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreeing with Rick. NOT EMP exactly, or there is no restart software.

I suspect a created EMP effect but not EMP.

Still, looks like it could be worth the watch.

Thanks

After reading some more about this TV series, it is essentially the plot line of the Emberverse series of books by SM STirling, the first being "Dies the Fire" which I noted above.

The difference between the two is that gunpowder works in the Revolution world and doesn't work in the Emberverse.

Other than the locket/trinket/reboot/whatever bits the plot seems straight out of the books. Groups coalesce, eventually one big group threatens the rest and the world is set at odds.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Interesting. I had heard that mentioned by some but I've never read the series.

I may have to look for them just to see how close the show ends up being to the book.

Thanks

I don't imagine they will be anything like the books. What I do imagine is that all of the constructs of society were mapped out pretty well by Stirling. It's feudalism overlaying our modern infrastructure. It's a great concept.

I will tell you that I was absolutely riveted by Dies the Fire. It hit the ball out of the park.

The protector's war, the next book in the series, was still good but I could tell the author was steering it towards a reality I didn't want to visit. He also spent too much time with Clan McKenzie. The wiccan hippie chick, dingbat who sang a lot of BS and praised the earth gods. Made me want to gag.

I got halfway through a Meeting at Corvalis and I _KNEW_ where he was going and I refused to take part so I stopped reading. I can count on two fingers the number of books I've stopped reading in my life. This was one, the other was Red Mars by Kim Stanley "Worst Writer Ever" Robinson. (I eventually went back and forced my way through the Mars books, it ended as pointless as the start). I still have not revisited the Emberverse nor will I buy any books by SM Stirling. He's a fucking asshole. Prick Motherfucker. After reading that book, I now can see how the book and movie Misery make sense. I can totally sympathize.

I will highly recommend Dies the Fire as a one off book. It's GREAT!
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I'll keep that in mind. Just got the ebooks.

Thanks

So, anyone watching this? Thoughts?

So far I'm kinda "meh" on it but I'm giving it a chance to get traction.

But then NBC goes and does stupid shit like this - http://www.nbc.com/revolution/photos...88#item=256951

Thanks

So far it's a cross between Jericho and The Postman.

It's kinda Meh. The lead chick is sorta cute, but in other angles, she looks like she's got a blockhead. The british chick isn't bad, but she's got bad teeth.

Why is there a fat guy with an AC/DC shirt? Who's still fat after the fall of civilization?

I dunno, this could turn really hokey, really fast.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Oh, and while I get what Hollywood does, in real life, after the fall, there would be no "super thief" women with no muscle tone who are super soldiers that become whirling cuisinarts. It just doesn't happen. The rulers will be big, nasty, vile men. Also, the women won't have hair straight out of a Vidal Sassoon commercial.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Hugo was still fat after many days on the island after the plane crash. In fact, last time I saw him he was another show and he's still fat.

/chuckles

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    So far it's a cross between Jericho and The Postman.

It's kinda Meh. The lead chick is sorta cute, but in other angles, she looks like she's got a blockhead. The british chick isn't bad, but she's got bad teeth.

Why is there a fat guy with an AC/DC shirt? Who's still fat after the fall of civilization?

I dunno, this could turn really hokey, really fast.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

LOL Rick! If I remember right, Sawyer even made a quip about it in one episode.

One thing to keep in mind with the heavy guy Mal is he is shown as a bit of a drinker.

Agree with you to on the lead chick though I'm more partial to Elizabeth Mitchell (her mother in the flashbacks, also a star from Lost) than the British Aussie (per IMDB) chick.

Also, Giancarlo Esposito was excellent in Breaking Bad and so far it looks like he's doing a pretty good job on this.

Thanks

Default Re: NBC's Revolution

Anyone still watching Revolution? Been watching since season 2 started up?

I have been.

Looks like it has gotten better at telling the story. Can't quite put my finger on how but it is doing a better job of keeping my attention. Also, looks like they've made it darker and grittier. No more new Abercrombie & Fitch clothes.

Thanks

Default Re: NBC's Revolution

Been a while since this thread's seen a post!

Recently I've started adding more TV shows to my HTPC lineup since I've got so damn much space just sitting on it and, the new x265 compression format which is rapidly gaining popularity makes for such seriously small video files allowing even more to be stored.

One of the TV shows I've added is Revolution. While previewing the files I was adding, I couldn't help but give the series a re-watch (I'm still in the middle of Season 2).

For some of the goofy stuff in the show (like arrows that would knock a person backwards ), there is one thing that stuck out to me for the better with this show compared to another current "collapse" related show, The Walking Dead. In Revolution they do an excellent job showing far more expansive and detailed scenes of the ruins of society. In The Walking Dead, it seems like any shots of ruins are rather tight shots of individual buildings or just stretches of empty road with a few dirty cars. Yeah, I remember the scenes in downtown Atlanta and the CDC but those are far and few between. That a moderately popular, now cancelled, network TV show has better scenery than a wildly popular, still running, big budget show is just confusing.

Thread Information