Thread: Tools and stuff

Threaded View

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

Default Re: Tools and stuff

I've spent many hours beneath the hood of my diesel truck. The compression on my 7.3 liter is 17.5:1, nothing to play around with. It's a diesel, the compression has to be high by nature - no ignition system. Also, the fuel injection system is actuated by a high pressure oil system that operates at a mere 3,000 psi. I've replaced several components within this system down to, but not including, the high pressure oil pump. I'm here to tell you, at first the process is intimidating, but as you gain knowledge re your engine, things become easier. I haven't required any tools atypical to the ones you have in your collection already, Rick. In retrospect, I also haven't had any catastrophic failures. Knowledge is the key ingredient. Acquire a manual and read up on each component. If your injectors (even one of them) go down, you're screwed - especially out in the Caribbean somewhere. You might keep a stash of injectors and related parts on hand. They (at least for my engine) cost about $200 each.
    Last edited by MinutemanCO; July 18th, 2012 at 17:31.

Thread Information