Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado: Mass Shooting Aurora Colorado Massacre

Thanks

Default Re: Aurora Colorado Massacre

Colorado suspect James Holmes wasn't supersmart, neuroscientists say

7:54 AM, July 25, 2012 |

Accused movie theater shooter James Holmes made his first court appearance at the Arapahoe County on Monday in Centennial, Colorado. According to police, Holmes killed 12 people and injured 58 others during a shooting rampage at an opening night screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" July 20, in Aurora, Colorado. / RJ Sangosti/Getty Images

By Marisol Bello & Dan Vergano

USA Today

Related Links

James Holmes seemed well on his way to a career as a scientist.

His résumé after he graduated with honors in neuroscience from the University of California-Riverside in 2010 cites experience in the lab dissecting birds, studying their musculature and analyzing data and graphs to measure molecules.

A video from a science camp he attended after high school shows him making a presentation about temporal illusions, misfirings in brain cells that lead to misreading the passage of time — the feeling that time stands still. In the video, Holmes refers to "an illusion that allows you to change the past."

He was one of six students admitted to the University of Colorado's graduate program in neuroscience last year. He received a $26,000 federal stipend.

But neuroscientist David Eagleman says Holmes' credentials were no better than those of an average student. The mass killing suspect is no elite neuroscientist, says Eagleman, of Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

"He was just a second-year grad student," he says. "He didn't know anything."

Aurora, Colo., police say Holmes, 24, entered a midnight showing of the movie TheDark Knight Rises early Friday and opened fire with a rifle, shotgun and .40-caliber handgun, killing 12 people and injuring 58. They found his apartment booby-trapped with explosives and chemicals set to explode if someone entered.

Eagleman, a former researcher at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, Calif., where Holmes attended the eight-week summer camp when he was 18, said the young man had a reputation as a "dolt."

Eagleman didn't know Holmes but says the teen parroted his advisers' words in his presentation on temporal illusions. A video of the speech was first reported by ABC News.

"He was just given the presentation to read," Eagleman says. "He wasn't any sort of superscientist when he was 18."

Stacie Spector, a Salk Institute spokeswoman, confirmed that Holmes attended a summer course at the institute but said that she could not comment further because of privacy concerns. She said the institute did not release the video.

John Jacobson, a former researcher at Salk whom Holmes listed as his mentor during the camp, told the Los Angeles Times that the teenager was a "mediocre" student who was stubborn and did not listen to direction.

"I saw a shy, pretty socially inept person," he told the newspaper. "I didn't see any behavior that would be indicative of violence then or in the future."

Jacobson told the newspaper Holmes "should not have gotten into the summer program. His grades were mediocre. I've heard him described as brilliant. This is extremely inaccurate."

He said Holmes' high school transcripts showed Bs and no advanced-placement classes. He was accepted to the camp because he had done computer programming, Jacobson said. He was never Holmes' mentor, he said, but Holmes worked in his lab to write a computer code for an experiment Jacobson was working on. He told the newspaper Holmes never finished it.

"What he gave me was a complete mess," Jacobson says.

Holmes' résumé suggests he was trained in dissection of birds and mice, performing chemistry tests and attaching small gene tags to cells to target them for treatment.

"Recipe-book stuff, literally, that every biology student should learn," Eagleman says. As for the grant, Eagleman says, "Holmes is being depicted as some sort of brilliant researcher who won a rare grant, but there are thousands of research students in this country with such grants. Everyone has one. There is nothing elite about it."

Holmes had difficulty with a June 7 preliminary exam, given orally by three university faculty members. It is designed to evaluate students' knowledge at the end of the first year. Three days later, Holmes dropped out.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

So... this guy was a dumb guy. A "dolt". A mess at writing code (I can't do better, I'm sure, LOL).

Not a genius.

So his dream of being the Joker (and getting out of the insane asylum in a couple of years as a free man) is shot through and through now.

The court has pretty much put the kibosh on releasing ANY data about this guy. No cameras in the court. No student records. No medical records.... this is going to be the worst "media event of the century" lol
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

He is probably a complete fraud when it comes to "studies" and knew it. He couldn't think of a way out so figured, what the fuck, let me kill a bunch of people and act crazy. Permanent housing and food.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I just can't imagine that people think like that. "Free housing and food".

Oh wait... everyone on the Left thinks that way.

Never mind.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Well, he wanted a secure future
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

LOL!

Well he GOT one!

He sure as hell wasn't going to get a good job as a "neuroscience major".

These bozos scream because they spend 8 years in college getting a masters degree and expect to start out at 80 k a year.

LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

‘Dark Knight’ shooting suspect James Holmes claims amnesia

The accused mass murderer keeps asking ‘Why am I here?’ a jail staffer reports. Holmes is also complaining about the food at the Aarapahoe County Detention Center.

By Matthew Lysiak In Aurora, Colo. AND Larry Mcshane / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, July 26, 2012, 11:45 AM

RJ Sangosti/Getty Images

Accused movie theater shooter James Holmes makes his first court appearance.

The Joker is playing the amnesia card.

Accused mass murderer James Holmes told jailhouse workers that he remains stumped about what landed him in a Colorado lockup, a jail staffer told the Daily News.

“He claims he doesn’t know why he’s in jail,” the worker said Thursday. “He asked, ‘Why am I here?’”

Holmes, 24, who is charged with shooting a dozen people to death and wounding 58 more at a screening of the new Batman movie, was also complaining of a stomach ache caused by lousy jail food after his sixth day at the Arapahoe County Detention Center, the worker said.

“He’s claiming his belly hurts him,” the worker said. “He complained once that he didn’t like the food . . . The guy killed 12 people, and he’s upset that he’s not getting a four-star meal?”

The former California honor student picks at his meals on some days, and doesn’t eat at all on others. A typical breakfast would include sausage and grits, while lunch could mean a ham sandwich.

Holmes was arrested in the parking lot of the Century 16 multiplex in Aurora, Colo., within minutes of his bloody rampage early Friday through a showing of “The Dark Knight Rises.”

Holmes surrendered without incident to police.

The suspect remains under 23-hour lockdown, leaving his cell just once a day. Authorities fear that other inmates could target Holmes and have him wear a bulletproof vest during his daily walk.

The jail worker said most folks inside the county lockup consider Holmes’ memory loss a ruse.

“He needs to save his act for the jury because no one here is buying it,” the worker said. “Everyone is convinced he is faking it.”

Published reports indicated that Holmes mailed a notebook filled with gruesome sketches and details of his plans for the attack in the crowded theater.

The notebook was in a package sent to a professor at the University of Colorado, where Holmes was a Ph.D. candidate until dropping out of school just prior to the killings.

The FBI snapped up the evidence after school officials notified them that the package was at the university.

In a statement, the university denied a report that the package sat in its mailroom for a week before the shooting spree.

The package was delivered by the U.S. Postal Service on the Monday after the shootings, and forced the evacuation of a campus building for 2 1/2 hours, the statement said.

The notebook and the rest of the contents were turned over to investigators within hours of the package’s discovery, the university said.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

here's what i think: he was-

1) a loner, described as shy, socially awkward, stubborn, didnt listen.

2) a fantasy fanatic. batman movies, online role playing, its about escapism. any way to be a differnt person in a different life.

3) he was violent. the black block movement of occupy. was a pro obama supporter, and arguably a communist.

4) he was a failure. described by colleagues and instructors as a dunce, mediocre, anything but intelligent, average, nothing elite or extroardinary about him. He was a failure. He couldnt pass a simple Entry level evaluation exam after his first year of studies. he was not up to par. he was a failure.

5) he was a changeling. family and neighbors describe him as very polite, but kept to himself. so he was able to hide his fucked up nature and personality.

6) he really didnt have much left. He had no girlfriend, no job. money train was coming to an end. grant was gone, so was student aid. unless mommy and daddy bail him out he's wrecked financially. no job prospects. girl friend? yeah right. that was not gonna happen. He was PAYING FOR PROSTITUTES.

7) this guy was a timebomb waiting to happen. the notebook wasnt the first sign, first clue. i think everyone here whos a part of this conversation knows and understands that there were other signs. the gun range owner knew. he called it soon as he heard the message holmes left him.

8) the signs were all there. no one spoke up. if even one person had called local cops and said, "hey man, i think this dude is unbalanced, and he has a lot of firepower." it would have ended there. the cops would have looked at him, people would have done some investigating and this dude woulda been seen for what he is, but before the shooting started.

9) i think we all know this guy was looked at, found to be suitable as cannon fodder for his mission, and given directions and orders on what to do, where to do it and when. He was picked for the same reasons that other disposable shooters are picked.

just my thoughts.

-Ev

Thanks

Rick, If i were someone recruiting this guy, i would not coach it as a mission for the US Gov. i think that would lose him. If i was going to recruit this guy, i would have carefully put together legend. We all know these ows clowns are about worker solidarity, the 99%, blah blah blah. we also know they are anarchist types. I would create a legend identifying myself as an intelligence officer alright, but from the former soviet union who's still working for the cause. i would play off his sympathies, and convince him the mission was for the cause and would serve the greater good, work towards common aims and further the cause greatly. much more than the ows could in a much faster manner. THATS how i's recruit him. If anyone approaches him as a US Gov mission he'd blab it. But a RIF'd ex-KGB officer recruiting him to take OWS to the next, ultimate level in 'the struggle'? he'd keep that to himself. especially if coached on why.

He had help, and i think it links back the Democrat Party, through the Obama Administration. And i am certain it was someone with an intelligence background that did the recruit and ran him as his case agent. and im certain thats how they covered the case officer. Run it as a false flag.

-Ev

Thanks

I would create a legend identifying myself as an intelligence officer alright, but from the former soviet union who's still working for the cause.
    Who is here to help Obama....
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Here we go...

24 counts of murder charges. 116 counts of attempted murder....

$15,000 to fortify his "arsenal" and I wonder where he GOT that money? Really? Come ON.

I don't have 15k to spend on random guns. Not in 4 months let along four years.

July 30, 2012 12:26 PM

James Eagan Holmes charged with murder, attempted murder from Colo. rampage

Colorado Movie Theater Massacre

James Eagan Holmes is seen in this undated booking picture provided by the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office in Colorado. (Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office)

(CBS/AP) CENTENNIAL, Colo. - Colorado prosecutors filed 24 counts of murder charges Monday against James Eagan Holmes, the former neuroscience student accused of killing 12 people and injuring 58 others at an Aurora movie theater.

Prosecutors also filed 116 counts of attempted murder against Holmes, who Aurora police said booby trapped his apartment with the intent to kill any officers responding there the night of the theater attack.

Holmes, 24, was not expected to enter pleas on Monday. He ultimately could verbally enter a plea, or his attorneys could enter it for him.

Special Section: Colorado Movie Theater Massacre
    Idaho billboard compares Obama to James Holmes
    Colo. victims mourned at funerals in 3 states

Unlike Holmes' first court appearance July 23, Monday's hearing was not televised. At the request of the defense, District Chief Judge William Sylvester barred video and still cameras from the hearing, saying expanded coverage could interfere with Holmes' right to a fair trial.

Last week, Sylvester allowed a live video feed that permitted the world its first glimpse of the shooting suspect. With an unruly mop of orange hair, Holmes appeared bleary-eyed and distracted. He did not speak.

Investigators said Holmes began stockpiling gear for his assault four months ago and bought his weapons in May and June, well before the shooting spree just after midnight during a showing of the Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises."

The four guns retrieved from the shooting were purchased legally at three Colorado gun stores between May 22 and July 6, CBS News correspondent Bob Orr reports. A federal law enforcement source told CBS News that Holmes spent $15,000 fortifying his arsenal online. Authorities found a shipping label from BulkAmmo.com in a dumpster near Holmes' apartment, the source said. EBay was the vendor Holmes used to purchase some body armor, the source said.

Holmes was arrested by police outside the theater. Analysts said that means it's likely there's only one main point of legal dispute between prosecutors and the defense.
    "I don't think it's too hard to predict the path of this proceeding," said Craig Silverman, a former chief deputy district attorney in Denver. "This is not a whodunit. ... The only possible defense is insanity."
    One development over the weekend brought more grief. A woman who was critically wounded and whose 6-year-old daughter was killed suffered a miscarriage because of the trauma, her family said Saturday. Ashley Moser's daughter, Veronica Moser-Sullivan, was the youngest person killed in the attack.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Prosecutors charge James Holmes with 24 counts of murder

Colorado shooting suspect Holmes sits with public defender Brady during his first court appearance in Aurora (POOL New Reuters, REUTERS / July 30, 2012)

Keith Coffman and Chris Francescani Reuters 11:58 a.m. CDT, July 30, 2012

CENTENNIAL, Colo., July 30 (Reuters) - The former graduate student accused of opening fire on moviegoers in a Denver-area screening of the latest "Batman" movie 10 days ago was formally charged on Monday with 24 counts of first-degree murder and 116 counts of attempted murder.

The charges were formally presented as James Holmes, 24, made his second court appearance since his arrest moments after the massacre during a packed showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" shortly after midnight on July 20.
    The rampage left 12 dead and 58 injured, several critically.

Prosecutors essentially charged Holmes with two murder counts for each victim - one standard first-degree murder charge plus one count of murder with extreme indifference.

In all, prosecutors have charged Holmes with 142 criminal counts in the shooting, the 24 murder and 116 attempted murder counts plus one count of possession of an explosive device and one count of committing a crime of violence.

(Writing by Steve Gorman and Dan Burns; Editing by Will Dunham)
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Defense: Shooting suspect was seeing psychiatrist

NICHOLAS RICCARDI and COLLEEN SLEVIN | July 28, 2012 03:51 AM EST |

DENVER — The former graduate student accused in the deadly Colorado movie theater shooting was being treated by a psychiatrist at the university where he studied, the first indication that he may have sought help before the rampage that killed 12 people and wounded 58.

Attorneys for James Holmes, 24, made the disclosure in a court motion Friday as they sought to discover the source of leaks to some media outlets that he sent the psychiatrist a package containing a notebook with descriptions of an attack.
    The motion said the leaks jeopardized Holmes' right to a fair trial and violated a judge's gag order.

Holmes' lawyers added that the package contained communications between Holmes and his psychiatrist that should be shielded from public view. The document describes Holmes as a "psychiatric patient" of Dr. Lynne Fenton.

The motion did not reveal when Holmes began seeing Fenton or whether he was being treated for a mental illness. Legal analysts expect Holmes' attorneys to use an insanity defense at trial. Holmes is scheduled to be arraigned Monday. A hearing on the new defense motion also is scheduled that day.

Calls to Holmes' lawyer and the state public defender's office were not immediately returned, nor was a message left with Fenton's office. A spokeswoman for the Arapahoe County prosecutor's office declined comment.

The University of Colorado's website identified Fenton as the medical director of the school's Student Mental Health Services. An online resume stated that she sees 10 to 15 graduate students a week for medication and psychotherapy, as well as 5 to 10 patients in her general practice as a psychiatrist. Schizophrenia was listed as one of her research interests.

Fenton was disciplined by the Colorado Medical Board in 2004 for prescribing herself Xanax while her mother was dying, state records show. She also was disciplined for prescribing the sleep aid Ambien and the allergy medicine Claritin for her husband, and painkillers for an employee who suffered from chronic headaches.

Fenton worked for the U.S. Air Force in Texas as an acupuncturist before joining the University of Colorado in 2005.

A 1998 Denver Post article quotes a Colorado acupuncturist named Lynne Fenton discussing how acupuncture could be used to enhance women's busts.

In the week since the July 20 attack at an Aurora movie theater, few details have emerged about Holmes' life – especially the year he spent as a graduate student in Colorado. Holmes enrolled in a doctoral program in neuroscience at the University of Colorado-Denver Anschutz medical campus in June 2011. He left without explanation in June.

University officials have refused to disclose much more about Holmes, citing an order from the judge barring them from releasing information that would "impede an ongoing investigation." Staff, professors and classmates have been mum about Holmes' life at the school.

Holmes' appearance at his first court hearing on Monday stunned the victims' families and fueled speculation about the state of his mental health. His hair dyed a shocking comic-book shade of orange-red, he looked sleepy and, at times, inattentive.
    Prosecutors said they didn't know if he was being medicated. Friday's defense motion, however, was the first confirmation from the defense that Holmes was seeing a psychiatrist and that he had sent a package to the doctor.

The package was seized by authorities on Monday after it was discovered in the mailroom at the university. It's unclear if it was sent before the attack at the July 20 midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" that left 12 dead and dozens of others injured.

Authorities said Holmes legally purchased four guns before the attack at Denver-area sporting goods stores – a semiautomatic rifle, a shotgun and two pistols. To buy the guns, Holmes had to pass background checks that can take as little as 20 minutes in Colorado.

Federal law bars from purchasing firearms people who have been found mentally defective by a judge or who have been committed to a mental health institution, said Benjamin Van Houten of the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
    States can impose additional restrictions, but Colorado does not.

"That is why it's important for states to look at going beyond federal law in this area," Van Houten said.

At a press conference earlier this week, university officials acknowledged that students in the neuroscience program are carefully monitored. They said a graduate student experiencing problems would normally be referred to student support services.

On Friday, 21 news organizations, including The Associated Press, filed a motion asking the judge to reverse his order sealing court records in the case. The news organizations claimed the order means even a complete list of court filings is kept secret.

District Court Judge William Blair Sylvester has ordered all motions by prosecutors and the defense be filed under seal so they cannot be inspected by the public. Sylvester also ordered the university not to release records on Holmes.

The news organizations include The Denver Post, three other newspapers, four Denver television stations, six broadcast networks and two newspaper groups.

A spokeswoman for the district attorney's office declined to comment. Holmes' attorneys didn't immediately return a call.
    Meanwhile, authorities also are investigating whether Holmes practiced shooting in the remote mountains northwest of Denver.

The owner of C&M Guns in the town of Hot Sulphur Springs said local authorities, as well as agents with the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, have asked him whether Holmes came into his shop, which is near a public shooting range. Clark Branstetter said he didn't remember seeing Holmes.

KUSA-TV in Denver first reported the visit to that shop and another unnamed one in the area.

The public shooting range is owned by the Colorado Division of Wildlife. A spokesman wouldn't comment on whether Holmes used the range. The range isn't staffed and no records are kept of who uses it.

In late June, Holmes tried to join a private gun range east of Aurora but he never showed up.
    ___
    Associated Press writers Dan Elliott and Steven K. Paulson in Denver and researcher Barbara Sambriski in New York contributed to this report.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Ok... so questions are raised now.

Did this Doc think he was nuts to begin with, if so why didn't she report that?

At a press conference earlier this week, university officials acknowledged that students in the neuroscience program are carefully monitored. They said a graduate student experiencing problems would normally be referred to student support services.
    Why would students in the neuroscience program be "carefully monitored"? For what? More than, say a student in the astrophysics program? Or computer sciences programs?

Attorneys for James Holmes, 24, made the disclosure in a court motion Friday as they sought to discover the source of leaks to some media outlets that he sent the psychiatrist a package containing a notebook with descriptions of an attack.
    The motion said the leaks jeopardized Holmes' right to a fair trial and violated a judge's gag order.
    I do NOT believe this to be accurate.

The judge gave the gag order AFTER the court hearing. It was the same DAY and prior to the hearing if I am not mistaken that the book was discovered and "leaked". That means it wasn't against a gag order. (That's called ex post facto).

On Friday, 21 news organizations, including The Associated Press, filed a motion asking the judge to reverse his order sealing court records in the case. The news organizations claimed the order means even a complete list of court filings is kept secret.

District Court Judge William Blair Sylvester has ordered all motions by prosecutors and the defense be filed under seal so they cannot be inspected by the public. Sylvester also ordered the university not to release records on Holmes.

The news organizations include The Denver Post, three other newspapers, four Denver television stations, six broadcast networks and two newspaper groups.
    What the hell happened to the public's right to know?

Really? Come on.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Oh, and the best one was this comment....

Authorities said Holmes legally purchased four guns before the attack at Denver-area sporting goods stores – a semiautomatic rifle, a shotgun and two pistols. To buy the guns, Holmes had to pass background checks that can take as little as 20 minutes in Colorado.
    Damned RIGHT it can take "as little as 20 minutes in Colorado". So go to hell Huffpo.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Defense: Shooting suspect was seeing psychiatrist

By By NICHOLAS RICCARDI and COLLEEN SLEVIN – 2 days ago

DENVER (AP) — The former graduate student accused in the deadly Colorado movie theater shooting was being treated by a psychiatrist at the university where he studied, the first indication that he may have sought help before the rampage that killed 12 people and wounded 58.

Holmes' lawyers added that the package contained communications between Holmes and his psychiatrist that should be shielded from public view. The document describes Holmes as a "psychiatric patient" of Dr. Lynne Fenton.

The motion did not reveal when Holmes began seeing Fenton or whether he was being treated for a mental illness. Legal analysts expect Holmes' attorneys to use an insanity defense at trial. Holmes is scheduled to be arraigned Monday. A hearing on the new defense motion also is scheduled that day.

Calls to Holmes' lawyer and the state public defender's office were not immediately returned, nor was a message left with Fenton's office. A spokeswoman for the Arapahoe County prosecutor's office declined comment.

The University of Colorado's website identified Fenton as the medical director of the school's Student Mental Health Services. An online resume stated that she sees 10 to 15 graduate students a week for medication and psychotherapy, as well as 5 to 10 patients in her general practice as a psychiatrist. Schizophrenia was listed as one of her research interests.

Fenton was disciplined by the Colorado Medical Board in 2004 for prescribing herself Xanax while her mother was dying, state records show. She also was disciplined for prescribing the sleep aid Ambien and the allergy medicine Claritin for her husband, and painkillers for an employee who suffered from chronic headaches.

Fenton worked for the U.S. Air Force in Texas as an acupuncturist before joining the University of Colorado in 2005.

A 1998 Denver Post article quotes a Colorado acupuncturist named Lynne Fenton discussing how acupuncture could be used to enhance women's busts.

In the week since the July 20 attack at an Aurora movie theater, few details have emerged about Holmes' life — especially the year he spent as a graduate student in Colorado. Holmes enrolled in a doctoral program in neuroscience at the University of Colorado-Denver Anschutz medical campus in June 2011. He left without explanation in June.

University officials have refused to disclose much more about Holmes, citing an order from the judge barring them from releasing information that would "impede an ongoing investigation." Staff, professors and classmates have been mum about Holmes' life at the school.

Holmes' appearance at his first court hearing on Monday stunned the victims' families and fueled speculation about the state of his mental health. His hair dyed a shocking comic-book shade of orange-red, he looked sleepy and, at times, inattentive.

Prosecutors said they didn't know if he was being medicated. Friday's defense motion, however, was the first confirmation from the defense that Holmes was seeing a psychiatrist and that he had sent a package to the doctor.

The package was seized by authorities on Monday after it was discovered in the mailroom at the university. It's unclear if it was sent before the attack at the July 20 midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" that left 12 dead and dozens of others injured.

Authorities said Holmes legally purchased four guns before the attack at Denver-area sporting goods stores — a semiautomatic rifle, a shotgun and two pistols. To buy the guns, Holmes had to pass background checks that can take as little as 20 minutes in Colorado.

Federal law bars from purchasing firearms people who have been found mentally defective by a judge or who have been committed to a mental health institution, said Benjamin Van Houten of the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

States can impose additional restrictions, but Colorado does not.

"That is why it's important for states to look at going beyond federal law in this area," Van Houten said.

A spokeswoman for the district attorney's office declined to comment. Holmes' attorneys didn't immediately return a call.

Meanwhile, authorities also are investigating whether Holmes practiced shooting in the remote mountains northwest of Denver.

The owner of C&M Guns in the town of Hot Sulphur Springs said local authorities, as well as agents with the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, have asked him whether Holmes came into his shop, which is near a public shooting range. Clark Branstetter said he didn't remember seeing Holmes.

KUSA-TV in Denver first reported the visit to that shop and another unnamed one in the area.

The public shooting range is owned by the Colorado Division of Wildlife. A spokesman wouldn't comment on whether Holmes used the range. The range isn't staffed and no records are kept of who uses it.

In late June, Holmes tried to join a private gun range east of Aurora but he never showed up.

Associated Press writers Dan Elliott and Steven K. Paulson in Denver and researcher Barbara Sambriski in New York contributed to this report.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

This October 2009 photo provided by the University of Colorado Medical School shows Dr. Lynne Fenton the Director of the schools Student Mental Health Service. Court documents filed on July 27, 2012 revealed that Dr. Fenton, a psychiatrist was treating James Holmes, 24, the suspect in the Aurora theater shooting last Friday that killed 12 people and injured more than 50. (AP Photo/University of Colorado Medical School)

Who is Dr. Lynne Fenton?

By the CNN Wire Staff
    updated 9:51 PM EDT, Fri July 27, 2012

Dr. Lynne Fenton reportedly sees between 15 and 20 graduate students per week for treatment.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Fenton is director of student mental health services at the U. of Colorado's Aurora campus
    • Colorado shooting suspect James Holmes was her patient, according to a court document
    • Fenton has won various grants and contracts to study schizophrenia since 2008

(CNN) -- Dr. Lynne Fenton, a University of Colorado psychiatrist, had Colorado shooting suspect James Holmes as a patient before last week's movie theater rampage, according to a court document filed Friday.
    Her name came to light as attorneys for Holmes filed a request to have a package their client sent her handed over. They argue Holmes' communications with Fenton are protected as he was her patient.
    Various attempts to contact Fenton on Friday were unsuccessful.
    Colorado massacre: Mourning the victims

Holmes had a psychiatrist
    Shooting survivor: 'God saved me'
    Colorado judge issues second gag order
    Fenton is the director of student mental health services at the University of Colorado's Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, and an assistant professor, according to a resume posted on the school's website.
    As director, a position she's held since 2009, Fenton sees between 15 and 20 graduate students per week for medication and psychotherapy, coordinates a team of four mental health clinicians, supervises some residents who treat students, and lectures. She also serves as a psychiatrist for between five and 10 patients, the resume states.
    University spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery said Friday the school had no immediate comment.
    Fenton has held many jobs over the years. She worked as a physician in private practice in Denver from 1994 to 2005, and was chief of physical medicine with the U.S. Air Force in San Antonio, Texas, in the early 1990s, according to the resume. Since 2008, she's won various grants and contracts to study schizophrenia.
    Fenton did her undergraduate work at the University of California, Davis and earned her medical degree from Chicago Medical School in 1986.
    Holmes is accused of opening fire inside a crowded midnight screening of the new Batman film last week, killing 12 people and wounding more than 50.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

(I stole this from someone else.....Wanted to make sure you all see what others are thinking about this whole thing). I think the "Conspiracy Theorists" believe this to be an attack on the doctor or something....: http://www.godlikeproductions.com/fo...age1939076/pg1

Found the scrubbed bio of Dr. Fenton from University of Colorado.

They did a good job quickly removing her info ("Oops, that page cannot be found"), but thanks to Google cache, the data lives on.

I must say, her recent VA research concerns me due to the types of experiments that have taken place there in the past.

Let the digging into this possible false flag attack continue...

Lynne Fenton, MD
    Assistant Professor

ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS, PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS, AND HONORS

Positions and Employment:

Medical Director, Student Mental Health Service, University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, 7-2009 – present

Research Fellow/Instructor, Research and Development Service, VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, 7-2008 - present

Research Fellow/Instructor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, 7-2008-present

Fellowship in Brain Imaging, Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Denver, 1008-2010

Residency in General Psychiatry, University of Colorado Denver, 2005-2008

Physician, private practice, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Denver, CO, 1994-2005

Medical Acupuncturist, Mile High Spine and Rehabilitation, Greenwood Village, CO, 2001-2002, and 2004-2005

Physician, Colorado Rehabilitation and Occupational Medicine, Aurora, CO, 1993-1994

Chief of Physical Medicine, United States Air Force, San Antonio, TX, 1990-1993

Staff Physiatrist, Wilford Hall United States Air Force Medical Center, San Antonio, TX, 1990-1993

Residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Northwestern University Medical Center, 1986-1990

Other Experience and Professional Memberships:

Colorado Psychiatric Society Junior Trustee, 2009-present

American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Board-certified, 2009

Colorado Psychiatric Society Early Career Psychiatrists Trustee, 2008-2009

State of Colorado Medical License - issued 1993

American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine Certified, 1992

American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Board-certified, 1991

Honors:

Associate Investigator Award for training in research from the Department of Veterans Affairs, 2008-2011

PRITE Award, 2006, 2007

Medal of Commendation, United States Air Force, 1993

Scholl Fellowship Award for research in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 1990

Teaching Activities (limited to Psychiatry-related teaching):

Supervision:

Psychiatry Residents:

weekly supervision of six R2 residents, 1-hour per resident 2007- 2008
    supervision of R1-R4 residents in outpatient clinic, 4 hours per week 2007- 2008
    inpatient and consult-liaison call, supervision of R2 and R3 residents 2008 - present
    Student Mental Health Service, supervision of R4 and R3 residents, 2009 - present

Lectures:

"Pain – Diagnosis and Treatment", 2006, 2008
    University of Colorado, R2 Consult-Liaison Psychiatry class
    "Somatoform Disorders", 2006, 2008
    University of Colorado, R2 Consult-Liaison Psychiatry class
    "CATIE", 2007, 2008, 2009
    University of Colorado, R3 Evidence-based Medicine course
    "STEP-BD", 2007, 2008, 2009
    "STAR*D", 2007, 2008, 2009

Courses:

Psychiatry Board and PRITE Review Course - Developed and co-taught 10 session weekly course for R1-R4 residents, 8/2007-10/2007
    Psychopharmacology for Non-Prescribing Clinicians - Developed and taught weekly course for social work interns, 9/2007-3/2008
    R-3 Evidence-Based Medicine - Co-taught weekly 90 minute course for R3 residents
    Axis-II Disorders - 4 lecture series, part of R-1 introductory lectures, 1/2009, 4/2009
    Student Mental Health - New 5 week course for R-4 residents to begin 2010
    R4 Clinical Rotation in Student Mental Health - One-half day per week, 2009 - present

Presentations:

Grand Rounds: "Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality, and Chronic Pain", University of Colorado, Department of Psychiatry, 9/28/2005
    Poster presentation: "Psychotherapy for Patients with Neuropsychiatric Disorders", Junior Faculty Poster Show, University of Colorado Department of Psychiatry, 3/2007
    Grand Rounds: “Student Mental Health – a Developmental Perspective”, University of Colorado, Department of Psychiatry, 10/11/2009

Clinical Activities:

Medical Director, Student Mental Health Service, University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, 2009 – present

medication and psychotherapy for 15-20 graduate students per week
    coordination of team of four mental health clinicians
    supervision of R4 and R3 residents who treat student
    lectures, outreach to students, administrators and faculty

Psychiatrist, 5-10 general psychiatry patients, medication and psychotherapy, 2008 - present

SCHOLARSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS

Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications:

Roth EJ. Fenton LL. Gaebler-Spira DJ. Frost FS. Yarkony GM. Superior mesenteric artery syndrome in acute traumatic quadriplegia: case reports and literature review. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 72(6):417-20, 1991 May.

Green D. Lee MY. Lim AC. Chmiel JS. Vetter M. Pang T. Chen D. Fenton L. Yarkony GM. Meyer PR Jr. Prevention of thromboembolism after spinal cord injury using low-molecular-weight heparin. Annals of Internal Medicine. 113(8):571-4, 1990 Oct 15.

Geary GG. Fenton L. Cheng G. Smith GT. Siu B. McNamara JJ. Failure of pretreatment with propranolol to reduce the zone of myocardial infarction after 2 hours of coronary occlusion in the primate heart. American Journal of Cardiology. 52(5):615-20, 1983 Sep 1.

Grants and Contracts:

Reward Processing in Schizophrenia: the Effects of Aripiprazole and Risperidone, 2008-present

A functional MRI investigation

False Pattern Recognition in Schizophrenia, 2009 - present

Involvement of the dopaminergic reward system.

Functional MRI Correlates of Overeating in Schizophrenia Treated with Olanzapine, 2009 - present

Associate Investigator Award, Department of Veterans Affairs, Schizophrenia Research Department, 2008-2010

Lynne Fenton, MD

Bldg. 500, Level 4, Rm. C4002

Email: Dr. Fenton
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

http://www.cchrint.org/tag/james-holmes/

The Aurora Colorado Tragedy—Another Senseless Shooting, Another Psychotropic Drug?

10 recent murders and murder-suicides, resulting in 43 dead and 37 wounded:

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – March 8, 2012: 30-year-old John Shick, former patient of University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) and former student at nearby Duquesne University, shot and killed one and injured six inside UPMC’s Western Psychiatrist Institute. Nine antidepressants were identified among the drugs police found in Shick’s apartment.

Seal Beach, California – October 12, 2011: Scott DeKraai, a harbor tugboat worker, entered the hair salon where his ex-wife worked, killing her and seven others and injuring one. At DeKraai’s initial hearing, his attorney indicated to the judge that DeKraai was prescribed the antidepressant Trazodone and the “mood stabilizer” Topamax.

Lakeland, Florida – May 3, 2009: Toxicology test results showed that 34-year-old Troy Bellar was on Tegretol, a drug prescribed for “bi-polar disorder,” when he shot and killed his wife and two of his three children in their home before killing himself.

Granberry Crossing, Alabama – April 26, 2009: 53-year-old Fred B. Davis shot and killed a police officer and wounded a sheriff’s deputy who had responded to a call that Davis had threatened a neighbor with a gun. Prescription drug bottles found at the scene showed that Davis was prescribed the antipsychotic drug Geodon.

Middletown, Maryland – April 17, 2009: Christopher Wood shot and killed his wife, three small children and himself inside their home. Toxicology test results verified that Wood had been taking the antidepressants Cymbalta and Paxil and the anti-anxiety drugs BuSpar and Xanax.

Concord, California – January 11, 2009: Jason Montes, 33, shot and killed his wife and then himself at home. Montes had earlier begun taking the antidepressant Prozac for depression related to his impending divorce and a recent bankruptcy.

Little Rock, Arkansas – August 14, 2008: Less than 48 hours after Timothy Johnson shot and killed Arkansas Democratic Party Chairman Bill Gwatney, the Little Rock Police declared they were investigating shooter’s use of the antidepressant Effexor, which was found in Johnson’s house. A Little Rock city police report later stated that Johnson “was on an anti-depressant and that the drug may have played a part in his ‘irrational and violent behavior.’”

Dekalb, Illinois – February 14, 2008: 27-year-old Steven Kazmierczak shot and killed five people and wounded 21 others before killing himself in a Northern Illinois University auditorium. According to his girlfriend, he had recently been taking Prozac, Xanax and Ambien. Toxicology results showed that he still had trace amount of Xanax in his system.

North Meridian, Florida – July 8, 2003: Doug Williams killed five and wounded nine of his fellow Lockheed Martin employees before killing himself. Williams was reported as having been taking two antidepressants, Zoloft and Celexa, for depression after a failed marriage.

Wakefield, Massachusetts – December 26, 2000: 42-year-old computer technician Michael McDermott had been taking three antidepressants when he hunted down employees in the accounting and human resources offices where he worked, killing seven.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

No matter WHAT.... the guy spent four months collecting stuff. He spent, according to a news article I posted today, 15k on ammo and guns and armor. He drew up a notebook describing what he was GOING to do.

All of that, I'm sorry to say is "premeditation".

Insanity?

He can't be found "insane" if he wasn't reported as being a kook. Especially if he mentioned ANYTHING to that doctor before the incident about "planning" or "thinking about" killing someone (and she didn't report it).

If she had, then the state could have put him on a 72 hour watch (in this state) and held him for observation.

That would likely have prevented him from purchasing weapons for some length of time (if not indefinitely).

This just goes to show that it's irrelevant HOW MANY damned laws are on the books, they simply WILL NOT prevent EVIL from happening.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information