Black Teens Who Randomly Threw Bricks at White Cyclists, Hitting One in the Face Were ‘Bored’

April 22, 2014

Two Oregon teens have been arrested after they threw bricks at passing bicyclists, hitting one in the face and another in the leg.

Police say 15-year-old Marquise Murphy and 15-year-old Robert Hudgens have been arrested and charged with assault. According to authorities, 26-year-old Adrian Richardson was hit in the face with a brick and needed to be treated in the hospital while 52-year-old Jonathan Garris was hit in the leg but escaped serious injury. Another man, 27-year-old Peter Buri, had a brick thrown at him but was not hit.

Richardson says he feels lucky that it only required eight stitches to close the lacerations above and below his eye and worried that he may have lost his sight. He told reporters “It was weird. My first thought was I’d been hit by a snowball – because that’s what people throw at each other. Then blood started running down my face real fast. I got to a safe place and then called 911.”

Portland Sgt. Pete Simpson said “This is one of those cases that really resonates with the cyclist community. People are just riding their bikes home and this happens. It’s pretty scary. This is a case of two 15-year-old kids who did something incredibly stupid. And now they are facing Measure 11 charges.”

Police plan to charge Hudgens as an adult but not Murphy, though it’s unclear why.

Just last week, another cyclist was attacked in Baltimore by a mob of black teens who targeted him randomly. The cyclist was lucky to escape without any serious injuries after neighbors called the police and helped him out.

I guess getting bored is going to happen when you are constantly waiting for Uncle Sugar to dole out his largess while doing nothing to earn it.