Democrats Declare Martial Law
Tom Delay's blog ^ | 1/05/07 | Tom Delay

Democrats Declare Martial Law Here's one major difference between the 1994 election and the one in 2006 and the aftermath from each. In 1994, Republicans told voters, before and after the election, precisely what they would do. Speaker Newt Gingrich did not promise fealty with Democrats nor did he promise to practice a political Golden Rule. Voters disgusted with Democrats had given Republicans a mandate, and they would ram through their "Contract with America." - Cal Thomas, “Promises, promises”, Thursday, January 4, 2007

Cal Thomas’ summation of the Republican rise to power in the House back in 1994 is an accurate one – we were honest in our intention, uncompromising in our agenda and true to our principles. We felt no need to Trojan Horse our plans from the American people or our Democrat opponents. Indeed, unlike the Ancient Greeks, we planned to storm the city head-on, armed with the strength of our ideas.

Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats however, had a different approach. As was referenced by one of our earlier posts in a quote from Pelosi herself,

Democrats pledge to conduct our work with civility and bipartisanship, and to act in partnership - not partisanship - with the president and Republicans in Congress.

But let’s leave this point for later.

Once we assumed power we made every effort to follow House procedure and allow for open debate. My critics reading this may think differently, and even use the Medicare vote as an example, so let’s go ahead and compare. With the Medicare vote being open for 3 hours, members had every opportunity to cast a vote and allow for proper representation of their constituents and their ideological interests. No one, Republican or Democrat, was denied the opportunity to debate or properly represent their constituents. If their biggest gripe is that we left the vote open for too long so we could further deliberate and negotiate, then we were doing our job. The U.S. House of Representatives is a representative body, and every caution, even if it’s ceding punctuality, must be taken to ensure that it stays that way.

Nancy Pelosi and her fellow Democrats, however, are busy betraying this fundamental truth during their ‘First 100 hours’ by using House Rules in order to disallow Republicans from entering the debate or offering any amendments on the pile of liberal bills they are attempting to railroad through. Consider this – the Democrats are passing rules on bills that have not even been introduced or gone through committee yet! In effect, Pelosi and the Democrats have declared martial law in the House and their ‘First 100 Hours’ is nothing more then a Democrat blitzkrieg during which no debate, or suggested alteration, will be allowed lest it slow down their unscrupulous assault on parliamentary procedure.

This from the same people who talked about civility, bipartisanship, a ‘Minority Bill of Rights’ and ‘open and honest debate’ being the hallmarks of their tenure in power – a true Trojan Horse if ever there was one.

Unquestionably, this is one of the worst abuses of power I have ever witnessed – greater even than 1988 when Speaker Wright tried rolling two legislative days into one. At least that wasn’t 100 hours long.

I have never been one to object to principled partisanship – in fact, I think there is no better way to govern. But I have always objected to masquerading politicians cloaking themselves in the guise of compromise and cooperation while their true intentions could not be further from the façade they project. Certainly over the course of my experience, I have come to expect nothing less from Pelosi and her cohorts, but the American people have a right to expect something more. The House of Representatives as an institution means more than the newly elected leadership’s first 100 hours, and now is the time for House Republicans to fight for it.