10 years ago I couldn't be bothered to use coupons, now we tend to only buy items that are on sale because I refuse to buy stuff like Chicken at $6.59/lb. I'll wait until they kill the old egg layers and discount it down to $1.19/lb.

Beef is to the point that even cheap cuts, like Bottom Round are $4.59/lb. This is meat that you need to cook for 4 hours...don't get me wrong, a bottom round that's been in the Crock Pot most of the day is fantastic, but it brings me back to my youth. Mom could only afford to buy the cheapest beef so we ate a lot of tough cuts. While I can afford to eat any meat I want, I refuse on principal.

If you've never had crock potted bottom round, it's really easy to make. Put the meat in the pot, pour in some beef broth, cook. If you can control the temp automatically, have it drop to low after 2 hours. If you are just leaving for the day, put it on low when you leave in the morning, it'll be done when you get home. Slice in 3/16"-1/4" slabs, serve with your favorite veg or add a starch. It's tender and juicy.