Well, first it was a movie, now it's a rumor--a rumor that might start something in America. But, like all those weird, urban legends that take on a life of their own like Slender Man, this one is getting out of hand on social media. I've been contacted by my children and this was mentioned by at least one grandchild in the last weekend.

People are apparently taking this as a serious threat, while the police are laughing it up.

Social media 'Purge' campaigns spark fear of bloody copycats

"In five seconds, you will experience anarchy."

So begins the theatrical trailer for The Purge: Anarchy. The horror movie, released July 18, creates a world in which the government lifts every law for a 12-hour period, making all crimes — including murder — legal and suspending all emergency services.

After a social media scare in Louisville that started with a "fun" post from a high school student, officials in Colorado, Tennessee and other states are reassuring concerned citizens that there will be no real-life "purge."

"Someone posted that there would be a day of a purge where crimes would be allowed and you wouldn't be charged," Darrell DeBusk, the Knoxville (Tenn.) Police Department spokesperson told WBIR. "That certainly was not true."

"Someone is trying to say that Knoxville will have a purge day on Aug. 23 and I can assure the public that we are not having a purge day and if you commit a crime, you will be charged," he said.

COURIER-JOURNAL
'Louisville Purge' takes toll

In Colorado, an image is making the rounds on Twitter and Facebook depicting a masked man with a list of Colorado cities where the "purge" is to occur, including the date of Sept. 6 from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., reports KUSA.

"I'm not sure if a threat is the exact word we should be using here. It's some talk on the Internet and it is stirring things up," Steve Davis with the Lakewood (Colo.) Police Department told KUSA. Lakewood is one of five cities listed.

Aurora police debunked the social media scare as a hoax, however, they are looking into whether the posting itself is a crime.

Social media users have voiced concern over whether a fan of the film may act out violently in an attempt to mimic the movies that have made millions of dollars.

As of Aug. 17, The Purge: Anarchy has raked in $70 million domestically and $101 million worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo.

Follow @lindsdee on Twitter.