Gun Battle Breaks Out In Juarez Near Border

Daniel Novick-KFOX News Weekend Anchor/Reporter

Video:

Posted: 7:07 pm MDT August 21, 2010Updated: 9:55 pm MDT August 21, 2010

EL PASO, Texas -- Border Patrol officials said there was major gun fire in Juarez near the Old Fort Bliss around 6 p.m. on Saturday.Customs and Border Protection officers, Border Patrol agents and El Paso police officers all responded to the scene, near Paisano Drive in West El Paso.

Border Patrol spokesman Ramiro Cordero said Paisano Drive was closed off, and agents were prepared to handle any spillover violence.

Residents told KFOX crews on the scene they heard a lot of gunfire, including semi-automatic rifles.

One resident said Border Patrol agents came by and told him to stay inside."I saw a bunch of [Mexican police] just running around.

I saw a lot of troops walking around and running with rifles and I could see gun shots coming from up in the hills," said Ray Campos, a nearby resident.There were unconfirmed reports of between 15 and 20 shots that did land on the U.S. side of the border.

There have been no reports so far of any injuries to anyone in the U.S.KFOX media partner CNN.com was reporting that three police officers in Juarez were injured and one armed suspect was killed, according to federal police spokesman Ramon Salinas."I've never experienced anything like this.

It's kind of shocking," Camos said. "No one can do anything about it."KFOX has a crew on the scene, and will have the very latest on KFOX News after the preseason football game.