Thread: Bloom Power

Threaded View

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Default Bloom Power

Saw this on 60 Minutes while at my dad’s.

Don’t hammer me for watching 60 Mins. It was between baseball games, nothing else was on, and my dad controls the remote.

-----------------------------------------------

Don’t get me wrong - you want to impress me, take the wheel.
    When I see this hit the residential market for $3K, I’ll probably be one of the first in line.

But this sure is interesting, and I’ll be following this.

They are now using them at Ebay, Google, and one or two others.

http://www.bloomenergy.com/products/

Not gonna watch all of them, but there are 620 videos on Youtube for “bloom energy.”

http://thenewsoftoday.com/bloom-ener...es-again/1821/

Bloom Energy’s Bloom Box is once again getting attention from the national media. The Box was featured once again on 60 Minutes. The company from Sunnyvale, California, has produced basically a power station in a box, that uses hydrocarbons like propane or gasoline to generate electricity. The company which was started in 2002 by K.R. Sridhar is highly efficient and already being used by several large corporations like Google, who happen to be Bloom Energy’s first customer.

Currently a 100 kW Bloom server costs approximately $750,000, and is used for larger corporations or companies. A typical box will have a 10 year life span on average, according to Bloom Energy. Home sized Bloom Boxes will be produced in the near future, and will have a 1 kW output, costing just $3,000. The future of energy is on the brink of a revolution, and Bloom Energy is one of the leaders. As prices go down and efficiency rises, traditional energy sources will die out and newer more environmentally friendly alternatives will prevail.
    If you can't find the video, what I learned from 60 Mins was:

1. They take beach sand - yes beach sand - and bake it into about 4" squares. Didn't get a close up, but they looked maybe 0.125" thick.

2. On one side they painted it green, the other side black (or was it blue). Paint was a "secret formula."

3. They then put a square in between metal plates, and repeated the process for many layers.

4. The more layers, the more electricity it produces.

5. From what they said, and device about 4" x 4" x 6" was big enough to power a house.

6. There were a few fuels mentioned that are needed to make this work, but the only one I remember was propane.
    Last edited by Backstop; August 30th, 2010 at 02:10.

Thread Information