USS Carl Vinson Deploys For Training Exercises

USS Bunker, USS Stockdale, USS Gridley To Join USS Carl Vinson

POSTED: 4:49 am PST November 30, 2010
UPDATED: 9:35 am PST November 30, 2010

SAN DIEGO -- It's a sad morning for thousands of San Diego based military families.They gathered in the cold on the pier at Naval Station North Island to say farewell to more than 5,000 sailors who are leaving on a routine deployment.The USS Carl Vinson and its strike group are set to depart at 11 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Petty Officer Kenny Kirlin couldn’t hold back the tears as he said goodbye to his wife and two children. This is his first deployment."Saying goodbye and saying hey, I'll see you next year, that’s pretty hard," said Officer Kirlin as he wiped his eyes.Even for veteran officers, leaving just weeks before the holiday isn't easy. Warrant Officer Matt Stikeoway is leaving on his 6th deployment."It's definitely tough saying goodbye to the kids and the wife. I miss my kids, I miss them growing up, I miss softball and baseball and BMX and all the stuff they do," said Stikeoway.

The USS Carl Vinson and crewmembers of Carrier Air Wing 17, along with USS Bunker Hill, USS Stockdale, and USS Gridley will conduct a number of military operations from security to humanitarian assistance and disaster response.

The aircraft carrier arrived in its new homeport of San Diego in April after providing humanitarian aid to earthquake victims in Haiti.The deployment of the carrier group is not in response to North Korea's recent attack on a small South Korean island because the Vinson's deployment was scheduled long ago. (RIGGGGGHT!!!!!!!!!!! RD)