Thread: North Korean Soldier Shoots Tourist From South Korea

Thanks

Default North Korean Soldier Shoots Tourist From South Korea

North Korean Soldier Shoots Tourist From South Korea [Dead]
    WSJ ^ | July 11, 2008 | EVAN RAMSTAD and SUNGHA PARK

A North Korea soldier shot and killed a South Korean woman on Friday near a tourist resort in the North, a stunning incident that will test the two countries' relations after they have been fraying for several months.

North Korean officials told the resort operator that the shooting occurred about 5 a.m. on a beach that it deems off-limits to the South's tourists. The shooting was the first in the decade since North Korea began allowing visitors to a resort at Mount Kumgang, a small range of scenic mountain peaks that's famous in both countries...

North Korea's military didn't notify Hyundai Asan of the shooting until 9:30 a.m. A company spokesman said North Korean military officers on the scene reported that a soldier had spotted Ms. Park in a restricted area, warned her to stop walking and fired a warning shot. The soldier then fired at least two shots at her. A hospital official said she was struck from the back and that bullets hit a lung and a hip.

After learning of the incident, Hyundai Asan officials and medical personnel found her body about 200 meters from a green fence that divided tourists from a restricted zone on the resort's beach. The North Korean military told the company that the soldier first spotted her another kilometer away. It was unclear, however, where the shooting occurred and whether Ms. Park was trying to get back to the tourist zone or hotel when it happened.

For Hyundai Asan, the shooting is likely to bring an abrupt halt to what was shaping up to be its best year ever for the resort. Through the first six months of the year, 190,000 South Koreans visited Mount Kumgang, up from 105,000 in the first half of 2007...

(Excerpt) Read more at online.wsj.com ...
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: North Korean Soldier Shoots Tourist From South Korea

You'd think they'd encourage "tourism" rather than shoot the people... Though having dealt with tourists I'm not sure I blame the soldier either.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

http://english.donga.com/srv/service...=2008071478838

N. Korea Blames S. Korea for Tourist Killing
    JULY 14, 2008 08:11

North Korea yesterday blamed South Korea for the shooting death Saturday of a South Korean tourist in Mount Geumgang.

Pyongyang has commonly tried to cover up its misdeeds and shift blame to Seoul whenever an accident occurs. The shooting of a 53-year-old female tourist, however, has ignited public anger in South Korea and suspended tours to the scenic mountain.

In a statement, North Korea began by expressing regret but held the victim and South Korea “completely responsible” for the incident.

“Even though our soldier asked the lady who entered a military area to stop, she ran away,” the statement said. “We repeatedly told her to stop first by firing a blank cartridge, but she continued to run away so we had to shoot her.”

Instead of an apology, the North said, “The South should be held responsible for this, and apologize to us and formulate measures to prevent a recurrence. Its unilateral decision to suspend trips to Mount Geumgang is a direct challenge to us.”

In May 2006, Pyongyang canceled a test run of inter-Korean railways a day before it was to proceed, saying Seoul was totally responsible. The North cited naval skirmishes in the Yellow Sea and the burning of the North Korean flag in the South as reasons for the cancellation.

When three North Korean patrol ships crossed the inter-Korean sea border in November 2004, Pyongyang’s naval command said Seoul’s warships attempted a provocation with the patrol ships on duty in their area.

Thanks

So, if the N. Korean soldier was close enough to verbally ask her to halt, and she was supposedly 200 meters past a security fence - he was unable to run down a 53 year old woman and tackle her, cuff her?

Thanks

good point, toad. sounds like he just didnt want to, and immediately jumped to the conclusion of shooting a helpless defenseless woman. its not at all out of character for a north korean to do that.

Didnt they shoot down an airliner FULL of innocent victims once?

ev

Thanks

So, if the N. Korean soldier was close enough to verbally ask her to halt, and she was supposedly 200 meters past a security fence - he was unable to run down a 53 year old woman and tackle her, cuff her?
    Guys, I wouldn't put it past a 53 yr old to take down a soldier you know.

I'm 51. I seriously DOUBT most 20-somethings could take me down without a weapon, assuming *I* was unarmed.

I am suffering a BIT from arthritis in my left shoulder, both hands and both hips... however, I CAN still run, and fight even at my (As Brian would say) greatly advanced age....
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I was just pondering the hypothetic of the more typical average 53 year old female vs a 20-something in-shape soldier.

Had it been a 51/yo Rick, we'd be reading about the N. Koreans screaming accusations about the mysterious death of one of their soldiers on a beach near the tourist resort!

But back to my comment, yes there are 50+ year olds in excellent shape who can go head to head with any 20-something year old out there. I would suggest though, these individuals are outside the norm. A 30 year age disparity can give you a great intellectual advantage, but is generally not so good physically.

Thanks

I have to agree with Toad, Rick, i doubt grandma was a prize cage fighter, with vast MMA fight experience. i think the NK guy was a little too in love with his AK 47 and got really excited in a bad away about getting to use it on such an easy target.

ev

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

The North Koreans are trigger happy mofos.

And you can bet the farm on that.

Thread Information