Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "The Colony" on Discovery

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Default Re: "The Colony" on Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post

It looks like the handyman and the other guy seem to have the most level heads on their shoulders. The women seem to be pretty close to useless so far (no offense to any ladies reading but these gals are). The self defense instructor, in particular, seems to be very defensive about her uselessness. The two other brainy guys seem to be only semi-useless as they do come up with rather good ideas for gadgets and devices.
    Yes, I agree.

The first episode I saw he was unhappy about the wood gas and didn't admit in front of the cameras that it was great success.

On the following episodes he seemed more balanced and aware of the needs of the groups survival. His concerns were well grounded while others still tend to wonder off track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

A heads up to all the previous viewers of The Colony.

Season 2 starts on July 27 at 10pm ET on The Discovery Chanel.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/
    http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/bios/season-two/

Thanks

Wow. Missed this thread. I haven't seen this show, I don't have cable any more. Probably never will.

But traditionally, societies are based on male head-of-family. Almost all of them. Only a few tribes are based on woman--head of family. That's a fact. So your wife is wrong.

As to the rest of it.... I'm going to be a warlord too.

Anyone wanna join up now?

LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I'd imagine you can torrent the episodes after they air.

Here are most of the episodes from last season - http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/the-colony/

Thanks

thanks
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

So, anyone catch the show? I'd give my thoughts but I don't want to go into too much if there's anyone waiting to see it.

Thanks

I watched the last season and have the first episode of this season on the DVR but have not started watching yet.

Was going to wait for a few to spool up before getting into it.

Does the first episode look like its going to be as good as last the season?

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

It looks interesting. The conflict/fights with "outsiders" still have a very fake feel since, obviously, no one is supposed to really get hurt. As I mentioned with last season, no reason they couldn't use paint ball markers or even specify that any physical contact be limited to fist blows or strikes with non-rigid objects (PVC pipe instead of metal pipe, etc.) and, no reason they couldn't make the participants sign hold-harmless waivers. The fights weren't all bad, they did have a couple Colonists get hit with pepper spray and a bit of hands on fighting (no real blows though).

Otherwise, this team seemed to get up and going faster with water and fire. Perhaps they all watched last season to see where to improve? I did think they took the "cheaters" and more wasteful way out with the fire, in my opinion. Also, for a group needing food, I can't believe they wasted the food (living and otherwise) the way they did. I'll leave it at that until others have a chance to watch.

Thanks

DVR'd and watched the first episode of this season, never saw the first season. The fights were a little fake, but I was surprised it got to that level of physical altercation. I enjoyed it but also found it frustrating because the people were stupid about a lot of things. Security should have been top priority in my mind but it didn't seem to be for them, even when they knew others were out there.

From what I've seen so far, my ascension to the top when it hits the fan, is all but guaranteed, along with the rest of you. Maybe we should sign some kind of warlord treaty in advance, make sure our kingdoms don't intrude upon each others.

Also, somewhat on topic but maybe deserving its own thread, is the show Dual Survival. I'm a big fan of the show, especially of the hippie Cody Lundin. In fact just recently purchased one of his books which is basically about preparing and surviving a disaster. So far its been a great read, very informative and a great start for beginners. The people on The Colony could use it, that's for sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    From what I've seen so far, my ascension to the top when it hits the fan, is all but guaranteed, along with the rest of you. Maybe we should sign some kind of warlord treaty in advance, make sure our kingdoms don't intrude upon each others.
    LMAO! Same thing I've been thinking!

We need some sort of Identify Friend or Foe sign like the "Flash/Thunder" the 101st had on D-Day.

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Also, somewhat on topic but maybe deserving its own thread, is the show Dual Survival. I'm a big fan of the show, especially of the hippie Cody Lundin. In fact just recently purchased one of his books which is basically about preparing and surviving a disaster. So far its been a great read, very informative and a great start for beginners. The people on The Colony could use it, that's for sure.
    Haven't seen it before but had seen the commercials for it. Looked like an okay show.

Thanks

Some thoughts on episodes 2 and 3...

Episode 2: Good job on getting the diesel tractor in service. Looks like in the previews they will improve on it later. Also they were creative but completely unnecessary in making the biodiesel. If they needed fuel for the diesel engine, there appeared to be several partial and disabled vehicles. All of those vehicles have differentials, transmissions, engines, and power steering systems all with petroleum based fluids that would burn in a diesel especially if cut with a very little bit of gasoline.

Episode 3: Still have their priorities out of whack... The smokehouse and forge are good ideas but, when building a house, you don't put up windows and curtains before you have walls and a roof. As I mentioned in the first season, these groups seem to put a shower as too high a priority. Our men and women in the military go weeks without a real shower in the field and seem to do just fine. You are dirty? Grab a bucket and a rag.

Thanks

Just watched the finale and thought it was interesting. Especially who decided to go with VOPA. I did like how the did the "cliffhanger" ending.

Overall, I do think this group was really very lax with regards to their security as opposed to the group from last season. This group had ample resources and opportunities to enhance their security and ignored it all for other things.

One thing that really struck me though were Jim's remarks at the end when they were interviewing all of the participants. Talk about !

Thanks

Haven't see the last episode but will tonight.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    LMAO! Same thing I've been thinking!

We need some sort of Identify Friend or Foe sign like the "Flash/Thunder" the 101st had on D-Day.

Haven't seen it before but had seen the commercials for it. Looked like an okay show.
    the High Seas are mine....

(O, well, if you guys help)
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information