Thanks

Default Apollo 11 Engines To Be Recovered from Atlantic Ocean Floor

Apollo 11 Engines To Be Recovered from Atlantic Ocean Floor

By Bethany Whitfield / Published: Mar 30, 2012
    Related Tags: News
    Rate it! or

Saturn V during preparations for the 1969 launch

Enlarge Photo

A team backed by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos has found the F-1 engines of the Saturn V rocket that launched the historic Apollo 11 mission more than 50 years ago, and now is planning an attempt to retrieve one or more of the engines from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.
    According to a statement by Bezos, the engines were found 14,000 feet below the surface of the Atlantic through the use of deep-sea sonar.
    “We don’t know yet what condition these engines might be in – they hit the ocean at high velocity and have been in saltwater for more than 40 years. On the other hand, they’re made of tough stuff, so we’ll see,” Bezos said in a blog post announcing the find.
    NASA reportedly found out about the team’s successful location effort through that same blog post, and is currently reviewing a recovery proposal sent over by Bezos’s team on Thursday.
    While the agency says it might not be physically present during the private recovery expedition, it is investigating other ways of providing assistance and will also provide insight into what should be done with the engines, which still legally belong to NASA, according to Bezos.
    So far, the only piece of Saturn V to be recovered since the launch of Apollo 11 is a fragment of the stage 1 rocket booster, which fell onto the deck of a German ship the day of lift-off. The recovery of the Liberty Bell 7 space capsule from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean 15 years ago, however, has given new hope to the possibility of Apollo 11’s engines being brought to the surface.
    Experts say the recovery effort of the 18-foot-tall engines will be no small task, with the 32 million horsepower boosters weighing around 9 tons each. Bezos, however, is already hinting at where he’d like to see the engines go after they’re pulled up. And one location that has been named is the Museum of Flight, located in nowhere else but Bezos’s hometown of Seattle.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Apollo 11 Engines To Be Recovered from Atlantic Ocean Floor

What is the point of this though? They're going to be in pretty rough condition.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

The guy doing it wants them for his home town I guess.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

He's so bored that he has to drag a trophy out of Davy Jone's locker to put up in his town? I've got an idea, send me $100,000 and I'll draw him a picture and make vroom vroom recordings he can listen to. It'll almost be the same and I'll be much better off.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

lol
    Beetle - Give me liberty or give me something to aim at.

A monster lies in wait for me
    A stew of pain and misery
    But feircer still in life and limb
    the me that lays in wait for him

Hey liberal!

You can't handle the truth!

Thanks

hehehehe
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually, if they aren't in bad shape, it might be useful to have a couple to reverse engineer since, if I recall correctly, the original Saturn V blueprints were destroyed.

Thanks

Actually I think this is a good thing. They are historic and anything that has to do with the space race should be preserved. At some point another generation in this country will get excited about this stuff. Maybe doing things like this will get it going.

Thread Information