Page 53 of 66 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1302

Thread: 2012 Election

Thanks

Default Re: 2012 Election

Rocker-reality TV star Meat Loaf backs Romney

On Politics

Catalina Camia ShareComments

11:33AM EDT October 26. 2012 - There are enthusiastic political endorsements and then there are those that are so raucous they belong in another category. The support Mitt Romney got from singer and reality TV star Meat Loaf was, well, like a bat out of hell.

"Storm clouds (have) come over the United States," Meat Loaf said Thursday, according to several news accounts. "There are storms brewing through China, through Asia, through everywhere. ... The other night when President Barack Obama, God bless him, said to Mitt Romney, 'The Cold War is over.' I have never heard such a thing in my life."

Meat Loaf, making his first political endorsement, said Romney will "stand tall in this country and fight the storm and bring the United States back to what it should be."

During his stem-winder, Meat Loaf praised Romney's "backbone" before encouraging the crowd in Defiance, Ohio, to go out and vote.

Meat Loaf is a rocker who did a stint on Celebrity Apprentice, getting into a heated argument with actor Gary Busey on the reality TV show last year. His best-known album, Bat Out of Hell, sold 34 million copies worldwide and came out in 1977.

The Romney rally, by the way, also included country singers Big and Rich and Randy Owen of the band Alabama. At the end, the performers joined Romney on stage to sing America the Beautiful.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Here's another chuckle:

Wide-eyed Chipotle worker, Romney photo goes viral

The manager of a Denver Chipotle restaurant has become an Internet celebrity thanks to the wide-eyed pose he struck alongside Mitt Romney when the Republican presidential candidate stopped by for lunch.
    The Associated Press

CHARLES DHARAPAK / AP
    Gov. Mitt Romney poses for a photo with Chipotle workers in Denver, including wide-eyed Marty Arps.

DENVER — The manager of a Denver Chipotle restaurant has become an Internet celebrity thanks to the wide-eyed pose he struck alongside Mitt Romney when the Republican presidential candidate stopped by for lunch.

Marty Arps, 20, posed for a group photo with Romney and Chipotle employees Tuesday afternoon. Arps is seen making a wide-eyed expression while pointing at Romney.
    The Associated Press photo is being shared extensively on Twitter and is making the rounds on websites.

"It's a facial expression I do when I'm excited," Arps told The Daily. He told the online publication he made the same expression when he met singer Nicki Minaj.
    "It's like, `Ah, it's them, right there in front of you!' They're not from another world,'" he said.

Arps was not at work Wednesday, according to a Chipotle employee who answered the telephone.

Romney seemed unaware of Arps' pose and the mood was jovial, said AP photographer Charles Dharapak, who snapped the picture. "It didn't seem awkward. Everyone was having a good time," Dharapak said.

Romney ordered a pork burrito bowl with guacamole during a break from preparations for Wednesday's debate with President Barack Obama in Denver. He was joined by his debate training partner, Ohio Sen. Rob Portman.

Romney spent about five minutes greeting customers, and he also posed for a photo outside with a 3-year-old girl.

Arps told The Daily he doesn't know yet who he'll vote for. He said he's "not too hip to elections and stuff.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

The REAL October Surprise!

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Voter Fraud? Young GOP Woman Sets Record Straight

James Jarman, Anchor/Target 13 Investigtator, j.jarman@krdo.com
    POSTED: 02:52 PM MDT Oct 26, 2012
    http://www.krdo.com/news/Voter-Fraud...z/-/index.html

Video at the link

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - A Southern Colorado caught on camera conflict leads to voter fraud accusations and the woman in the middle of it is speaking out for the first time.
    Victoria Bautista, 20, is a first time voter and decided to get involved with the election process. So, she went to work for the republican party at a voter registration drive in Colorado Springs.
    She was caught on cell phone video, which went viral YouTube, saying she was trying to get Romney supporters to register to vote.
    “And who are you registering? All voters?,” the woman with the camera asked Bautista.
    “Well, I'm actually trying to register for a particular party,” Bautista replied, “We're out here in support of Romney actually.”
    The woman then asked, “and who's paying you for this?”
    “We're working for the County Clerk,” was Bautista’s response.
    So far, the video's been viewed almost half a million times... more, when you count other pages that copied the link with many calling it voter and election fraud..
    “I was nervous, I was scared and she definitely took advantage of that,” Bautista told Newschannel 13.
    “That was the first day I was doing that, where I was out there just trying to get to talk to people. I was nervous out of my mind and this woman was very angry,” she said.
    She says she got flustered under questioning, and after the video was posted and the accusations came out, she came to Newschannel 13 to set the record straight.
    “Thing that I want to straighten out, I was registering everybody, this woman was trying to portray me as this evil, you know, I don't even know what she was going for. I want to straighten that out,” she said.
    As far as the claim that she worked for the County Clerk, when in fact she did not, “I also want to say that I was not working for the County Clerk's office, that kind of a, was a missed memory on my part.”
    She told us she was flustered and could only remember that all the paperwork would be going to the County Clerk’s Office.
    She also said the video does not show what happened after the minute long confrontation. She told us the woman who shot the video, whose Youtube handle is “golddiggermom”, put her phone down and started yelling.
    Bautista said she was afraid and went to her car to leave, but “golddiggermom” followed her - cell phone back in hand.
    “She was pushing it at my license and she was moving her mouth like she was talking and I locked all my doors, I mean I was so scared of her at this point I was like 'what is she going to do to me?'
    We reached out to “golddiggermom”, but she never returned our request for an interview.
    County Clerk Wayne Williams had his office looked into the video and the fraud claims. They found one thing Bautista did wrong.
    “The only mistake she made was saying she works for the county clerk's office when she does not,” said Williams. “She does turn in the registration forms to the county clerk's office, but she works, as many people do, for independent voter registration drives.”
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Just saw the Thomas Peterffy ad aired again during Blue Bloods!

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

State Dept: Texas can’t arrest international election observers

October 26, 2012 | 3:57 pm

“I’m not going to get into any kind of hypothetical situations or predict where this is going to go other than to say we have every expectation that this will be worked out and to state the fact, which is that under U.S. law they are eligible for immunities,” said State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland.

Reporters tried to get her to state explicitly that Texas could not arrest election observers from the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), but Nuland would only reiterate that OSCE observers have full immunity.

Attorney General Greg Abbott, R-Texas, warned OSCE that it “may be a criminal offense for OSCE’s representatives to maintain a presence within 100 feet of a polling place’s entrance,” as The Hill noted.

Nuland dismissed Abbott’s observation that OSCE consulted with Project Vote, a group that was affiliated with ACORN before that now-discredited organization collapsed under the weight of voter fraud charges.

“[I]f there are concerns that Texas authorities have, they have an opportunity through the direct dialogue that’s now going on in Texas with OSCE observers to take up their concerns,” she said. “But the mandate of the OSCE is designed to be absolutely and completely impartial, and that’s what we plan on when we participate and that’s what we’d expect here.”

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

Military Absentee ballots may have been destroyed in crash

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Federal officials say that absentee ballots being sent to U.S. military serving in Afghanistan may have been burned in a plane crash.

A top official in the Federal Voting Assistance Program this week notified election officials across the nation that a transport plane crashed at Shindad Air Base on Oct. 19.

The crash resulted in the destruction of 4,700 pounds of mail inbound to troops serving in the area.

Federal officials in their email to state election offices said they did not know if any ballots were destroyed. They also said the lost mail was limited to one zip code.

But they recommended that election officials resend a new ballot to anyone who requested one since the first ballot may have been destroyed in the crash and fire.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Texas: Watch us

(At least I hope that's the response!)

Thanks

WTF do we care about some mail, those guys over there are just "bumps in the road" don't you know?
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

State Department Briefing by Victoria Nuland, October 26, 2012

Friday, 26 October 2012 16:01
    Press Release
    Latest National News
    Washingotn, DC--(ENEWSPF)--October 26, 2012.

Index for Today's Briefing

• DEPARTMENT
      • OSCE Election Observers in Texas

• AFGHANISTAN
      • Afghan Forces Getting Stronger / Combat Operations to End in 2014
      • Condemnation of Mosque Bombing

• SYRIA
      • Calls for Ceasefire / Violence from Assad Regime / Car Bomb

• LIBYA
      • Ongoing Investigation

• ALGERIA
      • Secretary's Trip

TRANSCRIPT:

Video: Daily Press Briefing: October 26, 2012

12:40 p.m. EDT

MS. NULAND: All right, everybody. Happy Friday. I have nothing at the top. Let’s go to what’s on your minds,

QUESTION:
    Really? Okay, well, let’s start with something we talked a little bit about yesterday, which I’ll put under the category of why are you trying to force the great state of Texas to allow foreign electoral monitors into its polling stations? (Laughter.) Specifically, well, I have a bunch of questions about that. But specifically, yesterday you said that the authorities in Texas, in the person of the Attorney General, had been reassured that the OSCE would not do anything that they think – that Texas thinks is – it shouldn’t do. But the Attorney General wrote back to Secretary Clinton late yesterday and said that they have – that he has not received that assurance and that the election code does not authorize OSCE representatives to enter polling places or even go within 100 yards of them. The spokesman for the OSCE observer mission that’s now in Kyiv, I guess, says that they can’t do their job unless they’re allowed to go into the polling places.

So how do you reconcile this situation?

MS. NULAND: Well, let me start by saying that the OSCE currently has a team in Texas. They are working with Texas state authorities to try to work through what is appropriate and what is legal under U.S. law, under Texas law, and we very much support that conversation that’s ongoing between them. Let me --

QUESTION: So the invasion has actually begun already?

MS. NULAND: They’ve been there for a while. Let me also say that Texas was one of the proud hosts of OSCE observers back in 2008; they observed in San Antonio. And also to say that if you go up on the OSCE’s website, you can see a list of all of the places in the U.S. that they are hoping to observe, as they have since 2002, and it includes some 40 U.S. states that will proudly host OSCE observers and demonstrate to the world that our elections are of the highest standard.

QUESTION: Okay. Well, that’s great, but I’m not sure that “proudly host” is what the Attorney General would say. He seems to have no interest in them being there at all. Be that as it may, whether that’s true or not, how do you reconcile this fact – the idea that he says that these people can be arrested if they go into a polling center or if they come within 100 feet – or yards of one, and the fact that the OSCE says that it can’t do its job unless it’s allowed to do that?

MS. NULAND: Well, the OSCE has reassured us. They have also made commitments to Texas that they have no intention of violating any U.S. laws. They are now talking to Texas authorities about how to proceed here, and that’s the right channel for the conversation to go on.

QUESTION: Well, hold on a second. Did they say that they’re not – they said they’re not going to violate any U.S. laws, but this would be a state law.

MS. NULAND: They have said that they do not intend to violate any laws while in the United States. So we are going to let the conversations go forward between the OSCE and Texas and see what – and see how that goes.

QUESTION: Were you guys involved in those conversations at all, or is this totally their bilateral channel and you haven’t had any contact with them since the letters?

MS. NULAND: Well, we, as I said yesterday, made sure that the right people were talking to each other. It’s our responsibility to hook up the OSCE with local authorities. We have done that. They have a team there and they’re working this out now.

QUESTION: Do you know if there is any State Department representation in Texas helping with this liaison?

MS. NULAND: To my knowledge, there is not.

QUESTION: All right.

QUESTION: Is this the type of situation where, were it not to be resolved, the State Department would somehow mediate – I mean, get more involved in the discussion?

MS. NULAND: I don’t think so.

QUESTION: Yesterday, you also said that these observers would have certain immunities and privileges. Can you elaborate on what those are? Should any one or any of these observers do something that local Texas authorities thinks violates their law and they were to be arrested, would they be immune from prosecution?

MS. NULAND: Well, I’m not going to get into all kinds of hypothetical scenarios. But under --

QUESTION: I don’t think it’s --

MS. NULAND: But under – can I --

QUESTION: You can say it’s hypothetical, Toria, but the problem is, is that they say right now that they can’t do their job unless they do something which is in violation of Texas law, according to the Attorney General.

MS. NULAND: Matt --

QUESTION: So the question of immunity is relevant.

MS. NULAND: Matt, I was on the way to answering your question, but you didn’t allow me to finish my sentence.

QUESTION: Okay, please do.

MS. NULAND: I think we had this conversation yesterday, too --

QUESTION: Please do.

MS. NULAND: So why don’t I start again here. So under a 1996, I believe it is – yeah – presidential proclamation that’s been upheld by the Congress, members of – official observers for the then-CSCE, now OSCE, are eligible for full immunities in the United States. But as I also said yesterday, we don’t think that it’s going to come to having to invoke these. We have every confidence that OSCE representatives in Texas and any other state where they are observing will be able to work things out.

QUESTION: Okay. But they are eligible for full immunity?
    MS. NULAND: They are.

QUESTION: So in other words, that if the state of Texas chose to prosecute one of these observers, they wouldn’t be able to?

MS. NULAND: Again, I’m not going to get into any kind of hypothetical situations or predict where this is going to go other than to say we have every expectation that this will be worked out and to state the fact, which is that under U.S. law they are eligible for immunities.

QUESTION: Well, I don’t understand. I mean, the Texas Attorney General says that these people will be liable for prosecution if they break the law, and what you’re saying now is that they’re not liable for prosecution because they have diplomatic immunity.

MS. NULAND: I’m saying that we expect that they’re going to be able to work this out and that they have said that they don’t intend to break Texas or any other laws while they’re here. Matt, that’s all I’ve got for you on this. I’m just --

QUESTION: Okay, let me keep going.

MS. NULAND: Yeah.

QUESTION: The Attorney General is concerned in particular that the OSCE mission may have some kind of political agenda, and he wrote to the Secretary pointing out their discussions with – the OSCE’s discussions with a group called Project Vote, which apparently is affiliated to what was ACORN. He says, “No legitimate international body would affiliate with Project Vote. Consequently OSCE’s affiliation with this dubious organization necessarily undermines its credibility and the independence of its election monitors.”

Do you think that the OSCE – its credibility is undermined and as well as the independence of its election monitors? And if you do believe that, why is the United States a member of this? Why is one of your predecessors now serving as the ambassador to the OSCE?

MS. NULAND: Well, the OSCE’s election observation is designed in any member-state or in anywhere in the world to be completely impartial with no political tinge, no bias of any kind.

When we Americans participate in OSCE monitoring missions in other member-states’ countries, as we do all over the Euro-Atlantic area every time there are major elections, we go into it with no political affiliation of any kind.

So obviously, if there are concerns that Texas authorities have, they have an opportunity through the direct dialogue that’s now going on in Texas with OSCE observers to take up their concerns. But the mandate of the OSCE is designed to be absolutely and completely impartial, and that’s what we plan on when we participate and that’s what we’d expect here.

QUESTION:
    So the short answer to my question is that you do not agree that the OSCE’s credibility with – affiliation with this group undermines its credibility and the independence of its election monitoring? You do not agree with that?

MS. NULAND: Again, Matt, we would like to see Texas raise its concerns directly with the OSCE, but the group is mandated to be impartial.

QUESTION:
    Okay, and then just one other thing. The Attorney General says that anything that the OSCE may say about the conduct of voting in Texas isn’t binding. That is correct, is it not? This is basically just – I mean, when the OSCE goes in and says that Belarus’s elections are not free and fair, that doesn’t mean that Belarus has to do anything, does it? It’s just basically criticism or praise from this group, correct?

MS. NULAND: Right. The OSCE is not a supranational organization with binding legal authority beyond national jurisdiction in member-states. It is advisory in that sense.
    QUESTION: So authorities in Texas shouldn’t worry that this is kind of the advance of some international attempt to assert control of their sovereignty, is that correct?

MS. NULAND: There are no sovereignty issues here.

QUESTION: All right. And then the other thing is that he says – the Attorney General also says that we have no – “While we welcome international visitors who wish to engage in a legitimate information exchange, we have no interest in being lectured by the OSCE.” Is that something that you’re concerned about? Do you think it’s – since you support and go in – you, in fact, participate in OSCE missions in other countries that criticize, or perhaps their leaders might say lecture, is this a legitimate concern by the state of Texas?

MS. NULAND: Again, the OSCE will put out a report at the end of its observance which will cover the full picture that it sees across the United States. As I said, they have asked to observe in some 40 of our 50 states. And when we participate in it in other countries, we don’t consider it lecturing. We consider it impartial observation. And we would expect that, as we have in years past, the U.S. is going to pass this with flying colors across the union.

QUESTION: Okay. Even though there are elements of Texas voter laws that are currently under review by authorities in the United States?

MS. NULAND: I can’t speak to what’s going on inside Texas, but --

QUESTION: Okay. When the OSCE report comes out the state of Texas is – I just want make this absolutely clear for me. When the OSCE report about the election comes out, the United States or the states that are mentioned in it are or are not required to do anything about what it has – what it says in its findings?

MS. NULAND: There is no legal obligation encumbered by an OSCE report. It is an observation.

QUESTION: So you don’t think that this is a big deal?

MS. NULAND: Let me say first and foremost that the U.S. benefits enormously by participating in OSCE missions in other member-states. As you know, it is the only way that we have eyes on elections in places where we’ve had concerns in the past, including Belarus and Russia and Ukraine and other places. So from that perspective, the example that the United States can set of clean, free, fair elections observed by the OSCE is a very powerful one.

QUESTION: So are you concerned at all that the apparent hostility of local authorities in Texas might hurt the OSCE in other places around the world, that the governments in Belarus or Ukraine or Russia might say hey, well, in Texas they wouldn’t let them do what is their mandate; why can’t we?

MS. NULAND: Again, the OSCE has observed successfully in Texas in the past, has observed successfully in the United States since 2002, and we have every expectation it’s going to go fine this time as well.

Please, in the back. That would be you. Can you tell me who you are, please?

QUESTION: Leyla Aliyeva from Azerbaijan TV. I have a question with respect to the military escalation in the context of the ongoing conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia. Following the Armenian military exercises in the occupied Azerbaijani territories, on October 15 Armenian Major General Artak Davtyan stated that Armenian forces also simulated attack on oil and gas infrastructures built through the region, which actually provide crucial energy transportation link from the Caspian Basin toward Europe and beyond.

MS. NULAND: Again, do you have – is there a question here rather than a statement?

QUESTION: No – yeah, yeah.

MS. NULAND: Thank you.

QUESTION: I’d like to know if this issue of military threat against major Western investment in the region was raised by the United States with official Yerevan, and how the United States intends to react to this threat.

MS. NULAND: I don’t have anything particular for you on that today. If we have anything to share, we’ll get back to you.
    Please, Lalit.

QUESTION: Afghanistan.

MS. NULAND: Yeah.

QUESTION: Yesterday the Taliban leader Mullah Omar said – spoke about increasing insider attacks and also increasing suicide attacks, and today there was a major attack inside Farah province in Afghanistan, 40 people who have died. How do you assess the security situation inside Afghanistan at a time when Afghan forces are increasingly taking over the security for themselves?

MS. NULAND: Well, I think you know that we’ve been concerned about this recent spate of incidents, but it doesn’t change our overall view that Afghan forces are getting stronger month on month and that we remain committed to the timetable we have set out for them to lead increasingly in Afghanistan and to be able to manage the combat operations by the end of 2014.

But thank you for the opportunity to speak about the bombing of the mosque in Maimana City in Faryab Province today. As you say, at least 36 people were reportedly killed and 30 were injured as they left the mosques – the mosque after opening prayers of the Eid holiday today. We obviously condemn this bombing and this attack on innocent worshippers, which further demonstrates the insurgents’ lack of respect for religion, for faith, and its disregard for the safety and the security of the Afghan people.
    Please, Andy.

QUESTION: Syria. Just – we’ve had this sort of putative ceasefire now for about 24 hours and it seems like there’s been sporadic reports of violence and a fairly large car bomb in a Damascus suburb, which the government is calling a terrorist attack. I’m just wondering if you, at the moment, feel you can make any kind of assessment about how viable this ceasefire is or whether it’s being – who’s upholding it more than (inaudible).

MS. NULAND: Well, let me confirm what you are seeing, that there are reports of violence in Syria today despite calls for a ceasefire, but despite pledges of a ceasefire, including shelling ongoing in Idlib, Aleppo, and Damascus. We had reports early this morning of helicopter and tank shelling. These are weapons, obviously, that the opposition doesn’t have. And as you said, at least 30 people have been killed throughout Syria today.

So we are again calling on both sides not just to talk the talk but to walk the walk, and we have seen some violations on both sides.

QUESTION: Have you had any – are you able to make any sorts of determination on the car bomb itself? Because that certainly counts for the majority of the deaths in the last 12 hours.

MS. NULAND: We’re obviously appalled and saddened by the reported car bomb today in Damascus. It was – it took place right near a children’s playground. We’re obviously seeking more information on the attack, but I don’t have anything for you at the moment on responsibility.

Anything else? Lalit.

QUESTION: India’s Foreign Minister has resigned. Do you have anything on this?

MS. NULAND: Well, we’ve seen the press reports that he’s offered to resign. To my understanding, there are still ongoing discussions inside India, so we’ll withhold comment until there are decisions.

Please.

QUESTION: Do you – there is a report in The Guardian newspaper that the UK has rebuffed a U.S. request for the U.S. to use its bases in the event of a preemptive strike on Iran. Do you have any comment on that? Has the U.S. has been talking to the UK about that?
    MS. NULAND: Well, I’m obviously not going to get into our bilateral discussions with the UK. I think as partners, though, obviously, in the P-5+1, we share an approach of pressure and diplomacy, our two-track approach. We obviously share the concern about Iran’s noncompliance, and we don’t take any options off the table.

QUESTION: But is --

QUESTION: (Inaudible.)

QUESTION: I mean, is the military option something that has been discussed with the UK as --

MS. NULAND: I’m not going to get into details of our private discussions with the UK. You can see if our friends at the Pentagon have anything further to say, but I’m going to guess they won’t.

QUESTION: Do you --

QUESTION: They referred me, actually, to you.

MS. NULAND: Oh, that’s good.

QUESTION: Do you know --

MS. NULAND: That’s good. I’ll talk to the boys.

QUESTION: Do you know, Toria, strictly as a – taking – removing this from the Iran situation completely, does it require specific permission from the Brits to use a base like Diego Garcia, which is British territory but in an American – actually an American base. Is – does – is that – is it required under treaty obligation for --

MS. NULAND: I’m going to --

QUESTION: -- you to get permission?

MS. NULAND: I’m going to send you to our friends at the Pentagon because for all of these different facilities, there are different status of forces requirements and, frankly, I don’t have them all memorized, Matt. There was a time when I had them closer to the front of my brain, but I don’t at the moment.

QUESTION: Does that mean that some – that in some cases no permission is needed?
    MS. NULAND: I frankly do not know what all of these agreements say, so I’m going to send you to the Pentagon.

Please.

QUESTION: (Inaudible) Secretary voting early or is she planning to vote on (inaudible)?
    MS. NULAND: (Laughter.) I don’t know what her voting plans are.
    Please.

QUESTION: Benghazi? Defense Department officials say they received no request for help on the night of September 11th. Can you explain why the State Department did not make such a request?

MS. NULAND: Wendell, I think they’ve spoken to this with regard to what we did or didn’t do before, during, and after. As you know, that is the subject of a full investigation by the ARB here, and the FBI has pieces of this as well. So I’m just not going to have anything further on any of that until we have a full picture.

QUESTION: If they’ve spoken to that, by that you mean Secretary Panetta’s comments yesterday?

MS. NULAND: Correct. Correct.

QUESTION: Okay. Thank you.

MS. NULAND: Thanks.

QUESTION: Just related – this arrest in Tunisia, do you know anything more?

MS. NULAND: Not that we are going to share at the moment.

QUESTION: So you do know more?

MS. NULAND: Do I know more?

QUESTION: Yeah.

MS. NULAND: I don’t have anything to share here from the podium.

QUESTION: But you do know more?

MS. NULAND: I don’t have anything to share here from the podium.

QUESTION: I know – you know what? That’s cute. I’m – but I’m not – that’s not what I’m asking.

MS. NULAND: I understand.

QUESTION: You do know more. The government – the U.S. Government is not ignorant about the situation in Tunisia.

MS. NULAND: Well, we’ve certainly seen the press reporting.

Anything else?

QUESTION: Yes.

MS. NULAND: Please. (Inaudible.)

QUESTION: For the upcoming trip to Algeria next week, will the Secretary of State try to convince the Algerians to support an ECOWAS force? Or more concretely, will she ask them to provide a military assistance with troops and intelligence? And do you believe that the U.S. has more influence and leverage on the Algerians than the French have?

MS. NULAND: Well, first of all, as I said yesterday, we do expect that the subjects of Mali and AQIM will certainly come up when the Secretary is in Algeria on Monday and Tuesday. We will share further information about our thinking as we get ready to go, but I’m not obviously going to prejudge the conversation before it happens, and I’m also not going to compare influence with an ally. We all have strong relations with Algeria, and it’s important that we all work on these issues together.

Okay?

QUESTION: I’ve got one last one – one brief one.

MS. NULAND: One more.

QUESTION: Do you know if the Secretary – this is back on the OSCE – do you know if the Secretary has responded to the second letter from the Attorney General?

MS. NULAND: I don’t think so, because I think it came in late last night. But we are, obviously, looking at it.

Thanks.

(The briefing was concluded at 1:03 p.m.)
    Source: state.gov

UN Voting monitors: We’ll adhere to Texas laws

Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:00 am

AUSTIN (AP) — After Texas’ top prosecutor told them to bring it on, the head of a group of international voting monitors at the center of an Election Day dust-up had a simple message Friday: settle down.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott’s threats to arrest election observers resulted from a misunderstanding, said the head of the effort run by the Organization for Security and Co-Operation in Europe, adding that monitors will follow state laws prohibiting them from getting too close to polling entrances.

Daan Everts, the OSCE ambassador who received a skeptical letter from Abbott this week that set off a war of words to which even the U.S. State Department had to respond, told The Associated Press his monitors don’t need to be inside polling places to observe the Nov. 6 election.

OSCE observers generally are members of parliament from organization member countries, which include the United States and 55 countries in Europe and Central Asia. The group has sent observers to poll locations across the U.S. since 2002 and stationed some in San Antonio in 2008.

Abbott wrote Everts on Tuesday saying he was unclear about OSCE’s intentions in Texas and raised concerns about the group’s meetings with opponents of voter ID initiatives. He said international groups “are not allowed to influence or interfere” with Texas elections and warned that monitors faced prosecution if they came within 100 feet of polling sites.

Everts, head of OSCE’s long-term election observer mission, said the group is nonpartisan, comes down on no side of the voter ID debate and that U.S. elections are secure enough to where his monitors don’t need to join registered and authorized poll watchers already inside.
    “He should be better informed,” Everts said of Abbott.

A spokeswoman for Abbott did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday. On Thursday, Abbott tweeted “BRING IT” after another OSCE ambassador wrote a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton calling Abbott’s warnings of arrest “unacceptable.”
    Everts said he wanted to clear the air after a week of confusion, which seemed even to continue Friday.

At a briefing in Washington, U.S. State Department spokesman Victoria Nuland said OSCE representatives were meeting in Austin with state authorities to hash out what was appropriate for monitors under Texas law. Everts, however, said he was unaware of any such meetings, as were Abbott’s office and the Texas secretary of state.

In Europe, meanwhile, a spokesman for the Vienna-based OSCE told AP earlier Friday that monitors could not stay 100 feet away from polling stations in order to observe and evaluate things like ballot secrecy and the voting process. Thomas Rymer said OSCE was in touch with the State Department and hoped the situation would be resolved before the election.

Nuland, however, said no State Department officials were involved.

“They have said that they do not intend to violate any laws while in the United States,” Nuland said. “So we are going to let the conversations go forward between the OSCE and Texas and see how that goes.”

Overseas Monitors To be Stationed at Polls in States With Most Electoral Votes

Published October 27, 2012

AUSTIN, Texas – International voting monitors who plan to go to polls in states with the most electoral votes say they are baffled by threats of arrests made by the Texas attorney general.
    The group, the Organization for Security and Co-Operation in Europe, says that Texas officials did not create such a fuss when they monitored polls in the state in 2008 during the presidential election.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott warned that its poll watchers face criminal charges if they come too close to voting sites. He reminded them to obey state laws that prohibit political campaign workers and loiterers from coming within 100 feet of a polling location entrance -- or potentially face prosecution.

The U.S. State Department has even been dragged into the fray.

OSCE spokesman Thomas Rymer said Friday that its polling monitors were present in San Antonio in 2008 without issue.

He says the organization is stationing four pairs of observers in Texas, California, New York and Florida -- the states with the most electoral votes.

Abbott, a Republican with a Tea Party bent who has the "Don't Tread on Me" logo on his Twitter page, says he's leery because OSCE has met with groups that oppose voter ID initiatives.

The tension over the group's monitoring is unfolding at a time when Democrats and Republicans have engaged in bitter battles nationwide over voter ID laws and voter registration investigations that Republicans say are necessary because of fraud, but which Democrats call frivolous and meant to intimidate minorities. As is commonly the practice, the U.S. government invited the OSCE.

An Oct. 19 report outlining the group's plans to observe the Nov. 6 election notes that efforts to implement stricter voter ID laws in U.S. states "have become highly polarized."

The report goes on to say that "Democrats are concerned that these would disenfranchise eligible voters, while Republicans believe they are necessary to protect the integrity of the vote." The report does not express an opinion about the merits of the laws.

Daan Everts, an OSCE ambassador, said that his monitors won't go within 100 feet of polling sites as instructed.

Everts is the head of OSCE's long-term election observer mission. Abbott wrote him this week saying he was unclear about the OSCE's intentions. He also raised concerns about the group's meetings with opponents of voter ID initiatives.

Everts says his group is nonpartisan. He says Abbott "should be better informed."

Abbott tweeted "BRING IT" after the group took offense at being threatened with criminal charges by him.

OSCE observers generally are members of parliament from of organization members, which include the United States and 55 countries in Europe and Central Asia. The group has sent observers to poll locations across the U.S. since 2002.

The OSCE said it is sending an unprecedented number of observers to U.S. polling stations, paying particular attention to any signs of voter intimidation. The website of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe says that more than 100 parliamentarians from Europe and Central Asia will travel to the United States to monitor the Nov. 6 elections.

The site says it is “the largest Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe parliamentary delegation to ever observe a North American election.”

Civil rights group that oppose voter ID laws and voter registration investigations have urged OSCE to pay particular attention to voter suppression allegations regarding Colorado, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin, most of which are considered battleground states in the presidential election.

OSCE Ambassador Janez Lenarcic said concerns that its election observers intended to influence or interfere with the election process were groundless. He called the threat of prosecution "unacceptable."

The U.S. State Department was dragged into the fray Thursday, telling reporters in Washington that Texas officials had been reassured OSCE would comply with state laws. The department added that the elections observers are afforded diplomatic immunity.

"In general we give them protected status, as we expect of our people when we participate in OSCE delegations," department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.

Nuland, the State Department spokeswoman, said she was unaware of any other state that had expressed concerns about the OSCE poll observers.

But Abbott released a letter sent to the department saying his office still had not been sufficiently assured.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has thrown his support behind his top prosecutor, tweeting, "No UN monitors/inspectors will be part of any TX election process."

OSCE is not an arm of the United Nations.

The flap is just the latest fight Abbott is taking beyond Texas. His office has filed two dozen lawsuits against the federal government since President Barack Obama took office, many of which have resulted in defeat.

Those include the state's defense of a voter ID law passed last year by Republican-controlled Texas Legislature but struck down a federal court in Washington before it could be implemented this Election Day. Abbott has appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Abbott began a letter to the OSCE by stating that "it remains unclear exactly what your monitoring is intended to achieve, or precisely what tactics you will use to achieve the proposed monitoring." He then raised concerns about the organization's contact with Project Vote, a nationwide group that advocates against voter ID laws.

Project Vote said in a statement that it recently advised OSCE about "areas of concern for voting rights this election."

In his letter to the OSCE, Abbot said: "The OSCE may be entitled to its opinions about Voter ID laws, but your opinion is legally irrelevant in the United States."

Texas prison authorities threatened the OSCE envoys who want to observe the presidential elections in the U.S.

Mariusz Zawadzki, Washington
    27/10/2012, Updated: 27/10/2012 15:41

Romney and Obama (AG)

Elections in the United States, including Texas, will look at a group of about 50 observers of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, once found out, wrote on Twitter: "UN observers will not interfere in the elections in Texas. If this is necessary, I will make criminal charges. Official letter soon."

Abbott is a little confused, as brought to life in 1995, the OSCE is not part of the UN, but has a similar mission to conflict prevention and strengthening democracy. The real American Republicans, it makes little difference. Really do not like any international organization, even if - as in the case of the UN or the OSCE - the United States is a member.

His attorney supported the right, also on twitter, Texas Gov. Rick Perry: "hind UN observers and inspectors will not take part in the electoral process in Texas."

Soon after, the prosecutor, as promised, sent a letter to the OSCE (addressed to the office at ul. Miodowa 10 in Warsaw): "Although it is unclear what it wants to achieve by sending OSCE observers to Texas, or what they intend to adopt the tactics of the monitoring is organization publicly announced that they intend to visit the electoral commissions on election day. (...) If the members of the OSCE want to learn something about the electoral process in order to improve their own democratic systems, we would tell them what measures shall be taken Texas to ensure the integrity of elections. however, groups and individuals outside the U.S. do not affect the electoral process in Texas or to the mix. According to Texas law, the OSCE envoy must not enter the electoral commission. OSCE representatives if they were within a hundred feet [30 m] from the entrance to the electoral commission it would be a criminal offense. OSCE envoys If this requirement is not toe the line they may be facing charges for violating criminal state law. Sincerely, Greg Abbott, Attorney General of Texas. "

In general reluctance to impose international organizations, in this case an American conflict.

Texas authorities (and other states) this year introduced a provision stipulating that a voter must present ID when voting identity card issued by the state, such as a driving license. But in the U.S. more than 20 million people do not have a license and have to earn it yourself, or will not be able to vote on November 6. Most do not have it to blacks, Hispanics, the poor and students - a group generally supporting the Democrats and President Barack Obama.

Therefore, alarm bells really going to influence the outcome of the election (which he admitted some Republicans). As a valid identity document is considered a right to bear arms, which hold a more Republican supporters.

As he writes in his letter, Attorney Abbott, "the OSCE in April, reportedly in contact with Project Vote," or one of the American organizations protesting against the new rules, and "considered it as a restriction on the right to vote." Ultimately, a federal court has suspended the rules changed in Texas, stating that they would be "too much of a burden for the poor and for minorities."

In response to a letter from the director of the Texas office of the OSCE Democratic Institutions and Human Rights Janez Lenarčič issued a statement: "Threats of criminal sanctions against the OSCE observers are not permitted. The United States, as well as all OSCE countries are obliged to invite observers to their elections."

The OSCE has sent a written complaint to the Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

- We are in contact with representatives of the U.S. federal government, and we hope that it will ever work with us and provide working conditions for observers - says "Gazeta" OSCE spokesman Thomas Rymer (organization observed elections in the United States since 2002 without incident) .

Abbott Attorney for the time being remains unmoved. Reuters journalists highlights the issue as follows: - It must be clear to them that are subject to the laws of the State of Texas, and no exceptions will be. We are afraid that it's not a good-hearted mission, just an attempt to meddle and even intimidation of voters.

United Nations should be kicked off US soil: US congressman

Republican congressman Connie Mack (file photo)

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:59AM GMT

Republican congressman Connie Mack has called on the US administration to stop funding the United Nations, saying the world body should be “kicked off US soil.”

Connie, who is the representative for Florida’s 14th congressional district, condemned the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) for its plan to send monitors to polling places across the United States on Election Day to monitor the event.

OSCE, which is registered as an NGO with the UN, will send 44 observers across America to monitor the voting centers. The organization was asked by American civil rights groups to monitor the election, after being warned of “a coordinated political effort to disenfranchise millions of Americans - particularly traditionally disenfranchised groups like minorities.”

The 45-year-old congressman stressed that the news should have outraged every American, because “the only ones who should ever oversee American elections are Americans.”

The Republican politician said that the idea that the UN “would be allowed, if not encouraged” to monitor the US election, “is nothing short of disgusting.”

“For years the United Nations has aggressively worked against the best interests of our country and many of our allies. The UN’s actions and intentions toward the United States have been nothing short of reprehensible," Connie added.

Connie is the Republican Senate nominee, running for 2012 US Senate election in Florida, which is scheduled be held alongside the 57th US presidential election on November 6.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

UNITED NATIONS/OSCE SENDING “POLL WATCHERS” TO MONITOR US ELECTIONS

October 27, 2012 By Bradley County News

Breaking News: From Nashville, TN. UN delegates to watch our polls assigned to Nashville TN are in place and will be arriving soon from Armenia and France

The United Nations and the OSCE (Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe) will be sending a 44 multi-national delegation to the United States to monitor and observe the US election process for human rights violations, voter suppression and election fraud.

The NAACP, the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, and others have sent a letter to Daan Everts of OSCE to warn of “a coordinated political effort to disenfranchise millions of Americans- particularly traditionally disenfranchised groups like minorities.”

Giovanna Maiola, a spokeswoman for OSCE, said that the monitors will “observe the overall election process, not just the ballot casting. They are focusing on a number of areas on the state level, including the legal system, election administration, the campaign, the campaign financing [and] new voting technologies used in the different states.”

Why only 44 state delegates? Missouri, South Dakota, North Dakota, and New Mexico, permit international observation during elections. Maiola said that OSCE will only observe in polls in states in which international access is permitted. This only adds up to 48 states mentioned, my guess is they will attempt to monitor states that have an international waiver, defying state law, perhaps in a few swing states not mentioned.

News of the UN-affiliated observers comes one day after Breitbart Editor-in-Chief Joel Pollak reported that the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Counter-Terrorism and Human Rights has warned Americans not to elect Republican candidate Mitt Romney as the next president.

Alluding to Romney’s refusal to ban waterboarding in interrogation practices of terror detainees, Ben Emmerson of the UN said that electing Romney would be “a democratic mandate for torture.”

The ACLU, SEIU and True the Vote (ACORN associated) are sending 300 plus attorneys and thousands of volunteers across the nation to observe the voting process that in their opinion will “disenfranchise minority voters and not allow them to cast their vote.”

These plentiful leftist organizations along with the United Nations are making it very clear to the world that anyone getting elected but Barrack Hussein Obama is not going to be acceptable and they will do everything within their power to make sure that Obama is elected, even using international bodies to do so.

Armenian Gayane Horhannisyan and French observer Nicolas Teindes will be doing the duty as UN/OSCE observers in Nashville Tennessee and Frankfort Kentucky. In neighboring Georgia and Alabama the delegation assigned is as follows: Spanish observer Isabel Menchon-Lopez and the United Kingdoms James Morrison will do the honors in these states. The 44 person delegation assignment posted does not specifically address which one will go to which state, but be reassured they will be there.

In summation, one word “UNBELIEVEABLE!” We live in the United States a completely sovereign nation with our own election process that has served us well for many generations. For the most part it has gone unscathed and has done what it is constitutionally supposed to do, leaving us with a peaceful and serene transition.

Now I feel that our political system along with our Nation has been hijacked by a fake president with his race baiting, racist, war mongering, hate promoting, peace abating, clan of Socialist, Marxist, Leninist and un-American thugs are going to create a huge disruption at the polls this Novemeber 6th, 2012 that could possibly plunge our nation into a deep crisis and perhaps a revolution.

Think about it? The ACLU sending out 300 plus lawyers across the nation, the NAACP and Project Vote have petitioned the UN and OSCE(a human rights and voter fraud international watchdog) to watch our voting process. Something smells!

What if the election were to go to Romney and the Socialist favorite Obama loses? This raises the questions of why are these international delegates, attorneys and race baiters so heavily involved? In my personal opinion, I am convinced that the vote and the count will be protested and the election process will be halted and Obama will remain the fake president for an indefinite period, mass riots will break out, martial law will ensue, the Obama civilian police force and the US military activated, our guns pulled and our rights as humans suspended indefinitely. A recount of the vote by “international bodies” with international pressure to reinstate the Marxist dictator and the vote overturned. Obama nominated as the next president and the UN “calling him up” to be a world leader with supreme power over the New World Order. Before I lose you, I’m a blogger and activist, I’m supposed to inject likely scenarios based on my opinion and research. You want get it in the mainstream media, that’s for sure.

I know this reads like a sic-fi movie thriller straight out of Hollwood but im afraid it is a very likely scenario in our midst and these leftist guerillas within our own nation are imparting their will on our civil nation.

Let it be known, this scenario and possible future unrest will not come from the right, the patriots of this country. It will ignited by the aforementioned above. True Americans love this country and are willing to protect her. We do not need a fight in the streets and all restraint should be exercised but how much can this nation stand? War is hell and should be avoided at all cost. The left is setting this country up for it’s demise, the puzzle pieces are falling together and the spark they create on election day may be more than a free nation can bare.

In light of this recent news, I am curious as to how our State elected representatives will react to this news. I know a few will read this blog. Is it time to man up or woman up? If those who lead this state choose not to intervene and stop this potential disaster, are they to blame? Will inactivity by our state leaders be viewed by the citizenry they represent as passive and complicit? Only time will tell! We will see.

Thus far, I have not been able to find any public reactions to this debacle by our Tennessee elected representatives, but the news is young and has just surfaced, it may take a little more time for them to respond.

Will our State Representatives Eric Watson, State Representative Kevin Brooks, our Tennessee State House Leader, other reps, Congressman DeJarlais, Congressman Fleischmann, State Senators Mike Bell, US Senator Lamar Alexander, US Senator Bob Corker, Governor Bill Haslam and other State Representatives step up and re-establish our State and National sovereignty from the UN? Call them and demand they act. I hope they react. I honestly hope so, because I feel the safety and security of our state depends on it.

I want to also thank Karen Bracken, a national patriot watch dog for sending me the email detailing the UN/OSCE delegate and their assigments. I also would like to thank Brietbart.com and their staff for providing many of the quotes from the above article.

I have provided an unusually long list of sources for this info as I expect many will dismiss this as too far out there to believe. So for those many naysayers who refuse to believe that our country has been hijacked and many within do not want this country to exist in it’s current form, read and decide for yourself as our nation crumbles.

Sources of info:
    Complete list of UN delegates set to monitor US elections in at least 44 states.
    http://patdollard.com/2012/10/comple...-be-stationed/
    LA Times reports Texas Attorney Greg Abbott wants UN/OSCE poll watchers to stay out of sovereign states.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...tory?track=rss
    Texas AG warns will have UN poll watchers arrested at the polls
    http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/24/te...heir-distance/
    Alabama State Legislator calls for new legislation blocking future UN poll watchers
    http://newmediajournal.us/indx.php/item/7253
    Alabama Speaker of the House says No to UN poll watchers in his state
    http://mobile.al.com/advbirm/pm_1030...tguid=tmh2RLro
    Texas AG puts Secretary of State Hillary Clinton that UN is not above state election laws.
    http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/ne...US&.lang=en-US
    From Dickmorris.com reports ACLU/NAACP inked request to UN to step in and monitor US elections.
    http://lesliejo1952.wordpress.com/20...-us-elections/
    Texas AG says to UN Poll Watchers “dont even try it!”
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012...t-even-try-it/
    Brietbart News reports on UN Poll Watchers
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2...s-at-U-S-Polls

Sunday, 28 October 2012 15:00

Obama Backs UN-linked Election Monitors, but Texas Stands Firm

Written by Alex Newman

Texas state capitol dome

As the national scandal over United Nations-linked “elections monitors” in the United States continues to grow after Texas threatened potential prosecutions, the international outfit deploying “observers” demanded that the Obama administration come to its aid. The U.S. State Department promptly claimed that the UN-affiliated monitors would have “full” diplomatic immunity. But in the Lone Star State, officials fired back and upped the ante: Don’t mess with Texas.

On October 23, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott sent a strongly worded letter to the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) warning that its representatives could be prosecuted if they violate state law or are found within 100 feet of a polling place. Among the most serious concerns was the fact that the UN partner organization was working with discredited far-left radical groups to supposedly seek out conservative “voter suppression” schemes — mostly state laws aimed at preventing election fraud.

In a statement, the OSCE also said it would monitor “compliance” with unspecified “international obligations” supposedly applicable to the United States. The controversial organization, which includes as members the governments and dictators ruling Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, and other nations, responded to Texas with its own letter to the U.S. State Department warning against any efforts to “restrain” its personnel.

“The threat of criminal sanctions against OSCE/ODIHR observers is unacceptable," complained Janez Lenarcic, chief of the OSCE's Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) monitoring operations. "The United States, like all countries in the OSCE, has an obligation to invite ODIHR observers to observe its elections." (Emphasis added.)

The Obama administration responded to the controversy by purporting to offer the international “elections monitors” supposed “diplomatic immunity” — essentially claiming that they were above the law, even in Texas. The two monitors for Texas, scheduled to be deployed in Austin, are Conny Jensen from Denmark and Melanie Leathers from the United Kingdom, documents show. In an October 26 press conference, State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland claimed that "in general, we give them protected status.”

The spokesperson also claimed there were “no sovereignty issues” involved, emphasizing, as Texas’s attorney general did, that the OSCE obviously has no authority over the states it chooses to monitor. "They have said that they do not intend to violate any laws while in the United States," Nuland claimed. "So we are going to let the conversations go forward between the OSCE and Texas and see how that goes."

In the Lone Star State, however, officials did not take kindly to the international whining or the Obama administration’s response. "No UN monitors/inspectors will be part of any TX election process," tweeted Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a Republican, in support of his chief law-enforcement officer. GOP U.S. Senate candidate Ted Cruz, a popular conservative who made opposition to UN schemes a key part of his campaign, also saluted Abbot for standing up to the scandal-plagued international outfit.

The Texas attorney general, meanwhile, remained defiant despite State Department pronouncements and OSCE complaining. “UN-related vote monitors warn Texas: Don't mess with us. My response: BRING IT,” Abbott tweeted in response. He also quoted Sam Houston saying: "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may." Following the tweets, Abbot also sent an official letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton laying down the law.

“It appears that OSCE is under the misimpression that the State Department can somehow help its representatives circumvent the Texas Election Code. Texas law prohibits unauthorized persons from entering a polling place — or loitering within 100 feet of a polling place’s entrance — on Election Day,” the attorney general explained to Clinton. “OSCE monitors are expected to follow that law like everyone else.”

Of course, as Clinton already knows, Texas election laws govern anyone and everyone who wishes to participate in elections held in the Lone Star State, Abbott said. “The fact that representatives of the United States joined the U.S.S.R, Yugoslavia, Romania, and other OSCE member-nations in signing a document at a 1989 conference in Copenhagen has absolutely no bearing on the administration of elections or laws governing elections in the State of Texas,” he warned.

If the OSCE wants to visit Texas during the election, Abbott said the state would welcome the opportunity to educate its representatives about state elections — perhaps it could be useful to OSCE member regimes like the brutal communist tyrant ruling over Belarus. “But OSCE is not above the law and its representatives must at all times comply with Texas law when they are present in this state,” he added.

The 1990 OSCE governing document signed by the representatives of the U.S. government and cited by the international group in its pleas with the Obama administration is “legally irrelevant” in Texas and “will have no impact” on the way the state administers its election, Abbott pointed out. However, the attorney general still added that, even according to that agreement, observers are required to follow applicable law. In other words, the OSCE is making “false” claims.

In addition to misconstruing its own governing documents, in its letter to the Obama administration, the OSCE promised only to follow all “national” laws and regulations. “This statement may simply reveal that the OSCE is unfamiliar with our nation’s federalist system,” Abbott observed in his letter to Clinton. “On the other hand, it may reveal that the OSCE does not consider itself restrained by state law.”

In either case, Texas needs assurances from the OSCE that it intends to strictly comply with all state laws. So far, Abbott said, those assurances have not been forthcoming. There are other problems, too, however.

“In addition to my desire to defend and enforce Texas election laws, I am also concerned that an unnecessary political agenda may have infected OSCE’s election monitoring activities,” the state’s top law enforcement officer explained, citing the international outfit’s objections to efforts aimed at preventing registration fraud as well as state laws requiring voter ID. “The OSCE may object to photo identification laws and prohibitions on felons voting — but our nation’s Supreme Court has upheld both laws as entirely consistent with the U.S. Constitution.”

Ironically, Abbott added, the OSCE’s U.S. election monitoring boss, diplomat Daan Everts, hails from the Netherlands, which requires that all voters present identification to help combat fraud. “Why the OSCE appears to now question voter identification laws in the United States is beyond reason. Perhaps it is just politics,” the letter stated. “Regardless, the OSCE’s perspective on Voter ID is legally irrelevant in the United States.”

Meanwhile, the attorney general also took the opportunity to blast the OSCE yet again for meeting with “plainly partisan” U.S. organizations. Among the American groups working with the OSCE are the NAACP, the ACLU, and assorted splinter groups like “Project Vote” formed after the taxpayer-funded, Obama-linked organization ACORN collapsed in disgrace amid charges of massive voting fraud.

In letters and meetings with the international monitors, those groups warned of alleged efforts by conservatives to “disenfranchise” minority voters. The OSCE promised to follow up on the half-baked accusations, drawing widespread criticism and ridicule across the country.

“This appears to reflect a concerted effort to politicize an initiative that was previously perceived as an international information exchange program,” Abbot wrote. “While Texas may welcome visitors from any nation or international organization who wish to learn more about the steps the State has taken to protect the integrity of state elections, we need not open our doors and accommodate an international effort affiliated with partisan organizations in the United States that wish to suppress electoral integrity.”

Of particular concern, Abbot said, was an organization known as Project Vote, which recently boasted that it was helping to advise the OSCE on what issues and jurisdictions to “monitor” this election. “In light of Project Vote’s history of voter registration fraud and its more recent failed attempt to enjoin Texas election laws that were enacted to prevent fraud, no legitimate international body would affiliate with Project Vote,” the attorney general wrote. “Consequently, OSCE’s affiliation with this dubious organization necessarily undermines its credibility and the independence of its election monitors.”

Abbott also took the opportunity to provide some constitutional education for Clinton and Washington, D.C., which seemingly view Texas and other sovereign U.S. states as mere provinces subject to the whims and dictates of the federal government. In the Lone Star State, at least, officials apparently know that the United States was founded under a system in which the central government has limited and specifically enumerated powers.

“The United States Constitution authorizes the States to regulate the conduct of state and federal elections within their borders,” Abbott’s letter continues. “Unlike the unelected bureaucrats at the OSCE, our State’s leaders and decision-makers were duly elected by Texas voters. Elected members of the Texas Legislature enacted the Texas Election Code to ensure our State’s elections are free, fair, open, and reliable.”

Finally, the attorney general emphasized again, Texas’ election laws do not authorize OSCE representatives to enter polling places. If they do, there will be consequences. Nothing in any OSCE governing documents has any impact — legal or otherwise — on how elections are conducted in Texas, Abbott warned.

“If the OSCE does not wish to follow the laws that govern everyone else present in the State of Texas, including the voters who elect our State’s leaders, then perhaps it should dispatch its representatives to another state,” Abbot concluded. “In closing, I have a simple request: Please work with the OSCE to ensure they agree to comply with Texas law. If they refuse to do so, OSCE’s representatives may be subject to legal consequences associated with any violations of state law.”

Analysts and activists across the country promptly showered praise on the state of Texas and its officials for standing up to the controversial international scheme while protecting state sovereignty, constitutional values, and the rule of law. However, more than a few experts also warned that the UN and its affiliates were becoming increasingly threatening. If America hopes to maintain its freedom and sovereignty, it must continue to resist any and all efforts to impose or even legitimize purported international “authority” over the American people.

Related articles:

Texas Warns UN Affiliates Monitoring U.S. Election of Prosecution Risk

Concerned About Conservatives, UN Affiliate to Monitor U.S. Election

Leftists Call on United Nations to Monitor U.S. Election

ACORN: Disenfranchising Voters

Illegal Aliens Fraudulently Cast Ballots in New Mexico

Hidden Camera Reveals How Easy It Is for Phantom Voters to Vote

Democrats to State Secretaries: Keep Voting Requirements Loose

Eric Holder Likens Texas Voter ID Law to “Poll Tax”

Texas Judge Warns Obama May Spark “Civil War,” Call in UN Troops

Despite Violence, UN & Obama Hail Libya Election

Sudan’s Mass-murdering Tyrant May Join UN “Human Rights” Council

UN "Human Rights" Boss Questions Fla. Law, Demands Justice for Trayvon

The United Nations: On the Brink of Becoming a World Government

Obama Urged Governors to Celebrate UN Day

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Companion Thread:

OCTOBER SURPRISE! Dems Taking Illegal Somali’s To Early Voting In Ohio

Oct 27th

Posted by NTEB News Desk in 2012
    9 comments

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Two volunteer poll workers at an Ohio voting station told Human Events that they observed van loads of Ohio residents born in Somalia — the state is home to the second-largest Somali population in the United States — being driven to the voting station and guided by Democratic interpreters on the voting process. No Republican interpreters were present, according to these volunteers.

While it’s not unusual for get-out-the-vote groups to help voters get to the polls, the volunteers who talked to Human Events observed a number of troubling and questionable activities.

A source, who wishes to remain anonymous, is a volunteer outside the Morse Road polling center. She has witnessed Somalis who cannot speak English come to the polling center. They are brought in groups, by van or bus. The Democrats hand them a slate card and say, “vote Brown all the way down.” Given that Sherrod Brown is the incumbent Democrat Senator in Ohio, one can assume that this is the reference.

Non-English speaking voters may use an interpreter. The interpreters are permitted by law to interpret for the individual voting; however, they are forbidden from influencing their vote in any way. Another source who also wishes to remain anonymous has seen Democrat interpreters show the non-English speaking Somalis how to vote the Democrat slate that they were handed outside. According to this second source, there are not any Republican Somali interpreters available.

The logical follow-up question is whether a non-English speaking person is an American citizen.

Although Republican leadership in Ohio passed a voting reform law, it was repealed by the legislature itself after the Democrats threatened a referendum. According to the Ohio Secretary of State’s web site, someone wanting to vote early in Ohio must supply one of the following in writing on the absentee ballot form, whether voting early by mail or in person: an Ohio driver’s license number; the last four digits of the social security number; or a copy of a current and valid photo identification, military identification, or a current — within the last 12 months — utility bill, including cell phone bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the person’s name and address in addition to the voter registration acknowledgement.

The voter is not required to show the driver’s license or social security card, but must merely write it on the absentee ballot request form. While the individual would be required to show a utility bill, bank statement or other printed document if he or she chooses that option, this is in lieu of writing the driver’s license or social security number. Therefore, the information cannot be checked against the Bureau of Motor Vehicles or other state databases. Essentially, a person is asked to check a box stating that they are a citizen, and the poll worker is to trust that they are the person who is listed on the item being shown or the information being written. In other words, someone can be an illegal resident of the state of Ohio and the United States, get an apartment, turn on the heat, bring in the Columbia Gas bill, register to vote by the deadline, and vote by showing that same bill. There is then no verification that this individual is a citizen of the United States.

Matt McClellan, the press secretary for Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted, explained, “There is a process to challenge a voter’s eligibility. The point in time for a challenge to be brought ended mid October. A poll worker could challenge a voter if they had questions as to whether or not a voter was registered or eligible to vote.” However, if the poll worker does not raise the issue at the time the voting occurs, that person’s vote will otherwise be counted on election day along with everyone else’s vote. McClellan was not aware of any reports of irregularities at the Morse Road voting place in Franklin County.

Two phone calls and a text message to the Public Information Office at the Franklin County Board of Elections were not returned.

According to the Somali Community Association of Ohio’s web site, over 45,000 Somalis live in Ohio. Only 40 percent have become citizens of the United States, and only 25 percent speak English well enough to get a job.

The second source mentioned has seen voter intimidation at this same voting place. A Mitt Romney bus stopped near the voting center, approximately 30 Democrats who were outside handing out the slate cards rushed over to the bus. They yelled at the bus, and swarmed around its door when anyone attempted to exit the bus. This, from the “tolerant left.” source – Human Events

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Zero's firewall is crumbling!

Hamilton County is arguably the lynchpin of not just Ohio but possibly the election.

Cincinnati Enquirer Presidential Endorsement: Mitt Romney

Accomplishments as governor, experience in business make him best choice to heal economy, D.C. dysfunction

October 27, 2012

The No.1 issue in our region and our nation today is how to recharge our economy and get more people working in good-paying jobs.

President Barack Obama has had four years to overcome the job losses of the Great Recession he inherited, but the recovery has been too slow and too weak. It’s time for new leadership from Mitt Romney, a governor and business leader with a record of solving problems.

Obama took office in January 2009 as the nation’s economy was imploding. That year alone, 4.7 million U.S. jobs were lost and the unemployment rate ballooned past 10 percent. The president can’t be blamed for that. In fact, he and his administration took bold action to prevent further disaster.

Four years later, though, we’re still at risk of backpedaling into another recession, the housing market is still suffering and we have a sense of drift, not of common purpose.

Romney’s experience as a chief executive, business leader and governor position him to be the best candidate to lead us into a new era of streamlined but effective government with a renewed focus on maintaining America as the world’s leading economy.

The best indicator of how Romney would lead is his record as governor. There we have evidence of a Romney who governs more moderately than he was forced to campaign in the long runup to the presidential election.

He came into office in 2003 facing an immediate budget shortfall of $450 million and projections of much worse. It was Massachusetts’ worst recession in decades.

Romney’s approach was businesslike, and he didn’t spare any sacred cows. He made deep cuts in local government funding and to education. He didn’t raise state taxes, but he increased fees for many government services, which raised hundreds of millions.

He took heat from businesses for closing loopholes that saved them money but cost the state revenue. He blocked companies from transferring intellectual property to out-of-state shell companies, and he barred banks and other companies from avoiding taxes by paper restructuring.

The bottom line: He erased the deficit in Massachusetts (which was required by state law) and left office with a $600 million surplus. He replenished the state’s reserve fund two years into his term, pushing it to $2 billion by the time he left office in 2007.

He had more modest success in job creation. The dot-com economic bubble had burst. Job growth in Massachusetts over Romney’s four years equaled about 1 percent, less than the 5 percent growth nationally. Unemployment fell, in line with the national rate.

Romney adopted a businesslike, managerial approach to leading his state, appointing competent managers and listening to consultants. That approach was especially evident when Massachusetts’ health care plan was created. Romney involved business leaders, including insurance industry executives, and hired consultants to dig into the finer points.

He approached health care-insurance reform as a problem to be solved and ended up with a system that was a model for the Affordable Care Act by requiring virtually everyone to have insurance and levying a penalty on the state’s income tax return for failing to buy insurance. That experience in legislating big health care changes will be valuable if he has the opportunity to amend Obamacare.

Romney’s health care plan starts with allowing the states to waive the federal law. He would enable individuals and small businesses to set up purchasing co-ops, make block grants to states for Medicaid, the health care coverage for the poor, and reform insurers’ pre-existing condition rules.

His other defining experience was as president and chief executive of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games. In 1999, he took over an organizing effort that had gone off track and revived it by trimming spending, raising hundreds of millions and working closely with businesses and governments in what was a giant public-private partnership. He left the games with a $100 million surplus.

Romney’s plans for recovery revolve around the economic principles of reducing government regulation, cutting corporate taxes and opening more global markets. It’s an approach consistent with who Mitt Romney is – a businessman and a moderate conservative who doesn’t believe so much in government’s making things happen as he does in lifting government interference so they can happen.

On foreign policy, he would maintain the withdrawal schedule in Afghanistan and tough sanctions against Iran over its nuclear program. He’s proposed increasing the size of the military by 100,000 troops, but he’s abandoned the tough, warlike talk of George W. Bush in favor of a more diplomatic approach.

If Romney can stabilize and expand the U.S. economy, his greatest foreign policy contribution could be employing reinvigorated U.S. economic muscle to influence the global economy.

This is a precarious time for America. We’d expect a President Romney to lead toward the center, to resist the calls for a hard turn to the right that are sure to come from within his party.

Romney has accomplished progress with divided government – the Massachusetts General Court (the state’s Legislature) is overwhelmingly Democratic. The gridlock in D.C. is entrenched, and we’d urge him to make a priority of finding the common ground and using his leadership to forge compromise, coalitions and solutions.

Romney as president should stay true to who he is – a moderate leader who can work with the left and right, with business and with government, and who will set an example, both as an individual and as the leader of the United States of America.

ETA: Trolling around the darker corners of the internet (ick, I need a bleach shower) , the Libs are already planting the seeds that if Romney wins Ohio it's because it will have been "stolen".

Thanks

Romney Sweeps Endorsements of Iowa’s Largest Newspapers - First Time In 70 Years

October 28, 2012

There appears to be immense “lost faith” between six major Iowa newspapers and President Obama in the final days before the 2012 election. On Sunday The Des Moines Register, Cedar Rapids Gazette, and Quad City Times and the Sioux City Journal all endorsed the Republican candidate. In 2008, Romney was endorsed only by The Fort Dodge Messenger and Omaha World Herald. The final tally means Romney has now secured an unprecedented sweep of endorsements from the six largest papers in the crucial swing-state.

The accomplishment is unprecedented for many reasons. For one, it’s the first time all the papers have collectively endorsed the same candidate in over 70 years. Four years ago, candidate Obama received warm endorsements from three of the newspapers, and Romney is the first Republican to be endorsed by the Register in 40 years.

So why the change of heart from the editorial boards of the widely-read papers? Each endorsement features blunt, revealing and at times brutal critiques of the president and his job performance. Though the critiques of the president vary, each endorsement mentions a stagnant, limping economy as the decisive issue that pushes them to back Romney.

Shawn McCoy, Iowa Communications Director for the Romney campaign, noted in a press release that “President Obama won Iowa by nearly 10 points in 2008,” but hints that that support has eroded immensely over the last four years of “misguided policies and broken promises.”

Some of the sharpest critiques from the papers speak to that eroded support and overall loss of faith in President Obama:

“ The economy is growing at an unacceptably anemic rate”
    –The Des Moines Register

“Voters this year must decide if they are or are not satisfied with and confident about the direction in which America is moving. We are neither satisfied nor confident. In our view, change is needed.”
    –Sioux City Journal

“The ever-changing account of how his administration has responded to and explained — or hasn’t — the assassination of a U.S. ambassador and three other Americans in Libya is raising troublesome doubts about the chain of command and whether there’s been a cover-up.”
    –The Cedar Rapids Gazette

“The president laments congressional gridlock that fomented under the inflammatory leadership of Rep. Nancy Pelosi and Sen. Harry Reid. The president’s deference to their reckless rhetoric further deepened congressional divide. Obama doesn’t deserve all of the blame. But he merits little credit for any meaningful attempt to bridge the gap.”
    Quad-City Times

“And puzzling to us was why the president didn’t carry the flag for his bipartisan Simpson-Bowles panel, which recommended a necessary combination of spending cuts and revenue increases to seriously launch our way out of the deficit quagmire.”

“Of the last 11 recoveries from recession, the Obama recovery is the worst. The average retail price of gas has risen by nearly $2 per gallon. Median household income is down more than 8 percent.”
    –Sioux City Journal

“Some Romney critics say he’s “anti-women” and doesn’t care enough about the poor or making sure there’s an adequate safety net for those hit by tragedy or severe circumstances. We believe most of those fears are overblown or misrepresented.”

“No need to rely on hope. His record includes evidence of change…We endorse a proven manager who won’t need on-the-job training.”
    Quad-City Times

“Because we wish to see the country chart a new course to economic vitality and fiscal sanity, the Journal endorses former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney to be the next president of the United States.”
    –Sioux City Journal

“We invested heavily in hope back in 2008. Our 2012 endorsement of Mitt Romney comes with an imperative for change.”
    –Quad-City Times

“Barack Obama rocketed to the presidency from relative obscurity with a theme of hope and change. A different reality has marked his presidency. His record on the economy the past four years does not suggest he would lead in the direction the nation must go in the next four years.”
    –The Des Moines Register

Thanks

ETA: Trolling around the darker corners of the internet (ick, I need a bleach shower) , the Libs are already planting the seeds that if Romney wins Ohio it's because it will have been "stolen".
    I would have expected nothing LESS of them.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

/chuckles

Maybe people have awakened.

Madonna booed for encouraging audience to vote for Obama
    From: Aceshowbiz.com Published On: October 29, 2012, 10:33 GMT

Madonna

Madonna has gone great length to support Barack Obama but she was not met with favorable response on Saturday, October 27.

The singer slipped in some advice for her audience at her New Orleans concert which is part of her MDNA Tour.

"Who's registered to vote?" she asked the crowd. "I don't care who you vote for as long as you vote for Obama." Some of the audience booed at her and reportedly walked out of her concert. Madonna then added, "Seriously, I don't care who you vote for ...do not take this privilege for granted. Go vote."

This is not the first time Madonna mentioned the current U.S. President at her concert.

Last month in Washington D.C., she took time to address the past leaders such as Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King, Jr., saying "They killed him, as they do. ...It is so incredible to think that we have an African-American in the White House. Those fine human beings did not die for nothing!"

Madonna was criticized for calling Obama a black Muslim in the White House after the concert but she said later, "I was being ironic on stage." She added, Yes I know Obama is not a Muslim - though I know that plenty of people in this country think he is.

And what if he were? The point I was making is that a good man is a good man no matter who he prays to. I don't care what religion Obama is - nor should anyone else in America."
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Washington

|

10/29/2012 @ 9:11AM |163 views

Five Reasons President Romney Would Be Good News For The Defense Industry

+ Comment now

US Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney speaks at 'Veterans for Romney' campaign event in Springfield, Virginia, on September 27, 2012. AFP PHOTO/Jewel Samad. (Image credit: AFP/Getty Images via @daylife)

As Hurricane Sandy bore down on the nation’s capital this week, many local defense executives were focused on a different kind of storm. Having long since equipped their homes with generators to guard against the capital region’s frequent weather-related power outages, the execs running companies like Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman are more worried about the metaphorical budget storm that will befall Washington at year’s end.
    That looming downpour of legislatively-mandated tax increases and across-the-board spending cuts is so huge that it could cut the government’s trillion-dollar budget deficits in half, mainly by raising federal revenues 20% year-over-year. That might sound like good news for an industry that sells most of its goods to the government, but another facet of the impending changes is two trillion dollars in spending cuts required between now and 2021 by last year’s Budget Control Act. The defense department is supposed to cough up half of those cuts, even though it represents only a fifth of federal spending.
    So even though several of the nation’s biggest military contractors reported quarterly results last week that beat estimates, their stocks are battling fears that defense demand is about to fall off the fiscal cliff. The outlook isn’t really that bad — any military cuts would phase in gradually — but there is a more immediate reason to suspect that the defense industry is going to do fine in the years ahead. That reason is President Romney. If the Republican presidential candidate is elected, indications are that fears of flagging military demand will prove unfounded. In fact, the defense sector could end up outperforming the rest of the economy, just as it did in the last decade, given how impending tax increases are likely to impact commercial activity.
    You don’t need to do deep analysis to arrive at this conclusion. Just look at what President Obama has done on defense since taking office four years ago, and compare it with what Romney says he would do. Then look at how past Republican administrations have funded defense, and what Republicans believe about the role of government. It isn’t hard to construct a case that concerns about a big downturn in defense have been overdone. That doesn’t mean I think you should vote for Romney — personally, I’m voting for Obama — but if Romney prevails, it looks like the defense sector will be in good shape compared with, say, housing or autos.
    Obama’s Defense Record. President Obama won the White House by running against an unpopular war, and once he occupied the Oval Office he quickly delivered on campaign promises to change Pentagon priorities. By the administration’s own admission, its main focus in reducing military spending during its first two years in office was to trim weapons programs, which resulted in the elimination of hundreds of billions of dollars in planned outlays. The Pentagon also “insourced” tens of thousands of service jobs previously performed by contractors, and launched a series of efficiency moves that squeezed industry profits. When these management initiatives are combined with the president’s efforts to extricate U.S. forces from overseas wars, the cumulative impact on defense-industry fortunes is decidedly negative.
    There is little reason to suspect defense trends would change in a second Obama Administration. After unveiling its so-called Asia-Pacific strategy at the beginning of this year, the Pentagon then proceeded to slash naval shipbuilding plans and funding for its longest-range surveillance drone — efforts that logically should be at the center of any Pacific strategy. Candidate Romney overstates the case when he blames Obama for the trillion dollars in defense cuts mandated by the bipartisan Budget Control Act, but the legislative history clearly demonstrates that Democrats tried to leverage the threat of big military cuts to win tax increases from Republicans. That approach underscores the relatively low priority the administration assigns to maintaining military spending, compared with expanding social-welfare programs.
    Romney’s Military Views. Candidate Romney has repeatedly stated that he intends to roll back planned military cuts, increasing defense spending from its current 3.5% of gross domestic product to “a floor of four percent of GDP.” That would require an increase of about $2 trillion over ten years in projected military budgets, and Romney’s surrogates have gone into some detail in laying out how the money would be spent. Among other things, the Republican candidate would increase the pace of naval ship construction from nine vessels per year to fifteen, providing a major windfall for shipbuilders General Dynamics and Huntington Ingalls Industries. Romney would also bolster missile-defense efforts, push ahead with production of Lockheed Martin’s F-35 fighter while keeping Boeing’s F/A-18 Super Hornet fighter in production (Obama plans to end production in 2014), and rethink plans to shrink the Army.
    Some Romney advisors tell me that the Governor’s views on how big the Army should be are in flux, which isn’t surprising given the fact that its current size was dictated by wars that now are winding down. But that highlights the fact that much of what Romney says he would do in the defense arena involves increases to weapons accounts benefiting industry. Romney advisor (and former Navy Secretary) John Lehman says the Governor would like to see more competition in weapons purchases and less bureaucracy; competition necessarily requires increasing current levels of weapons production, and the notion of cutting bureaucracy is music to industry’s ears.
    Romney’s Foreign Policy. Military forces exist to defend the nation and pursue national objectives overseas. Thus, the goals set forth in the nation’s foreign policy dictate how big and capable the defense establishment must be. President Obama has spent much of his tenure scaling back how America defines its overseas role. In addition to putting overseas military campaigns on a timetable for completion, he has taken a restrained approach to civil wars in Libya and Syria while favoring economic sanctions over military action in seeking to block Iran’s pursuit of nuclear weapons. He also plans to transform the global war on terror into a low-profile effort relying mainly on the intelligence community and special forces.
    Candidate Romney has set a more aggressive tone for his own foreign policy. He says the United States faces a “moral imperative” to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons, which implies military support for any Israeli moves aimed at destroying Teheran’s research sites. He says he would brand China a currency manipulator on his first day in office, signaling a more confrontational approach to dealing with the Middle Kingdom’s mercantilist behavior. More generally, he says the United States must maintain a strong military presence in the Middle East and Western Pacific. The tone of Romney’s pronouncements on foreign policy implies the kind of increased tensions that will lead to greater demand for military forces — and the supplies that sustain them.
    Past Republican Administrations. If Romney’s views on defense and foreign policy remind you of Ronald Reagan or George W. Bush, that’s because his ideas and advisors are drawn largely from those previous Republican administrations. Although Democrats presided over most of the big military buildups of the last century, it is the Republicans who have favored a more robust national-security posture since the Vietnam War. Merrill Lynch analyst Ronald J. Epstein captured what this means for the defense industry in a 2006 research note: “Over a span of 50 years, we found that political control of the Presidency, Senate, and to a lesser extent, House are the most significant factors driving defense spending, far more significant than other commonly accepted models such as those based on ‘threats’ (real and/or perceived) or ‘public opinion’.”
    Epstein found that “a Republican in the White House would lead to an increase in defense spending, while a Democrat in the White House would lead to a decrease in defense spending.” Since Epstein was using the phrase “defense spending” to refer solely to the weapons accounts driving defense-equity valuation, his findings have profound implications for military contractors. Whether it is Reagan or Bush or Romney, when Republicans control the White House weapons spending increases. Whether it is Carter or Clinton or Obama, when Democrats control the White House weapons spending declines. President Obama’s priorities and Governor Romney’s pronouncements thus fit into a long-term pattern signaling stronger demand for defense-sector products (and stocks) if the Republican candidate is elected next week.
    Republican Political Philosophy. There is one more reason why Romney’s election would be good news for the defense industry, and that has to do with the deeply-held philosophical views of the Republican base. Republicans basically don’t believe in the welfare state, but they’re quite comfortable with what might be called the “warfare state” because they think national defense is one of the few legitimate roles the founders envisioned for the federal government. In the old days when the party had an isolationist wing that meant using military forces to keep foreigners out of the Western Hemisphere, but now it means taking the lead anywhere around the world where democracy is threatened. And unlike Democrats, who are always seeking partners for their overseas ventures, Republicans have translated their belief in self-reliance at home into a willingness to act unilaterally abroad.
    Republican political philosophy thus lends itself to support for robust military capabilities even though the base doesn’t like other aspects of big government. That implies, ironically, that defense spending is the main tool beyond tax policy that Republicans have for stimulating the economy. Few Republicans would favor buying weapons to bolster economic activity, but in the process of sustaining a vigorous defense posture and foreign policy, they end up shoveling hundreds of billions of dollars into places like Denver and Fort Worth that might otherwise be facing more difficult times. Democrats at the national level have never seemed to grasp the role that weapons spending plays in the economy, but all you have to do is look at the ads Romney is running in battleground states such as New Hampshire and Ohio this week to see that he gets it.
    So don’t be surprised if the cloud of fear hanging over defense-industry prospects suddenly dissipates after a Romney election victory. All that time you spent trying to understand sequestration probably was wasted if Mr. Romney wins, because he has already signaled that he will take care of the defense sector.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Huffingdrugs Post is predicting an Ohio Obama win.

This paper isn't (and it's NBC) - what's funny is, Huffpooh isn't covering these remarks by the Gov.
    Ohio gov. predicts Romney win as auto politics dominate

Justin Sullivan / Getty Images
    Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan sing along with Janna Ryan as the Oakridge Boys perform during a campaign rally at the Marion County Fairgrounds in Marion, Ohio on Sunday.

By Michael O'Brien, NBC News
    Follow @mpoindc

Ohio's Republican governor said Sunday that private polls show Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney beating President Barack Obama in the all-important battleground state of Ohio just as auto industry politics assume a dominant role in the closing days of the campaign.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R) predicted outright that Romney would win Ohio on "Meet the Press" and, with it, the presidential election — a overall contest which Kasich said wouldn't be that close.

"Right now, I believe we're currently ahead. Internals show us currently ahead," he said, referring to the private polling candidates routinely conduct. "Honestly, I believe that Romney is going to carry Ohio."

The governor's show of confidence comes after a week in which Obama and Romney — along with their respective running mates — barnstormed the Buckeye State in hopes of securing the state's 18 electoral votes, which would greatly enhance either candidate's hopes of winning the presidential election.

A Cincinnati Enquirer/Ohio News poll released Sunday and conducted Oct. 18-23 showed the two candidates tied at 49 percent apiece among likely voters in the state. Two other public polls earlier in the week, by CNN/ORC and TIME magazine, showed Obama leading by a small margin.

Romney was set to spend Sunday touring the Buckeye State after canceling a series of stops in Virginia due to the impending Hurricane Sandy; Obama will make a quick trip to Youngstown on Monday before returning to Washington to monitor the hurricane. The president canceled planned stops in northern Virginia and Colorado in the first half of this week.

Both the president and Romney are battling to turn out their supporters to the polls and shake loose the few remaining undecided voters in a handful of swing states. The Romney campaign has claimed that momentum is on their side, a claim which the Obama campaign argues is a bluff.

The Romney campaign circulated on Sunday several newspaper endorsements — the Des Moines Register and the Cincinnati Enquirer among them — to argue that the Republican ticket had made inroads in crucial swing states. The Obama campaign responded in kind by sending reporters endorsement editorials from the Youngstown Vindicator and the Toledo Blade, both of which referenced the 2009 auto industry bailout as a point in Obama's favor.

The auto bailout — which Romney had opposed, memorably, in a New York Times op-ed entitled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" — has assumed a central role in the closing days of the campaign, especially as the election plays out largely on a Midwestern, industrial and economically-battered playing field.

RELATED: Auto politics haunt Romney in NW Ohio
    Kasich argued that the auto bailout hadn't actually boosted Ohio's economy as much as Obama would have the state's voters think.
    "We are thrilled that we have a strong auto industry," he argued, "but it doesn't account for the growth of 112,000 jobs in our state."
    Slideshow: On the campaign trail

Reuters, Getty Images
    In the final push in the 2012 presidential election, candidates Mitt Romney and Barack Obama make their last appeals to voters.

Launch slideshow

The Romney campaign also aired a new ad in Ohio touting an endorsement from the right-leaning Detroit News and iconic automan Lee Iacocca, while also making a controversial claim about productions of Jeeps in China.

"Obama took GM and Chrysler into bankruptcy and sold Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China," the ad says in reference to plans by the auto company to build a new production facility in China to sell vehicles in that country.

The ad is accurate but plays to misinformation that spread earlier this week — partly because Romney had previously voiced the claims — suggesting that Chrysler was planning to move production of all Jeeps to China. The automaker has strongly disputed those reports, though they could have an impact in battleground corners of Ohio like Toledo, a major hub for Jeep production in North America.

First Read: Romney's Ohio fortunes tied to softening bailout stance
    The governors of two other battleground states — John Hickenlooper (D) of Colorado and Scott Walker (R) of Wisconsin — relied on more traditional fare to make the case for and against their candidates.

"What are those deductions and tax credits he's going to get rid of?" Hickenlooper asked of Romney's tax reform plan, seizing on the former Massachusetts governor's refusal to specify which loopholes and deductions he would eliminate to finance his proposed tax cuts.

And Walker, whose contentious collective bargaining reforms sparked a standoff with his state legislature and a recall election which he won, argued that Romney has a track record of working in a bipartisan manner.

"He's proven that he can do it in a state like Massachusetts," Walker said.

But neither Walker nor Hickenlooper seemed as confident as Kasich, who predicted that the fate of Ohio's electoral votes — and the election — would be known early on election night.

"I'm not sure the election's going to be as close as what everybody is talking about today," he said.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Five places where Hurricane Sandy could affect the election

Posted by Aaron Blake on October 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm

• Share:
    • More »

We’re still waiting for the full impact of Hurricane Sandy. But we’ve got at least a sense for what lies ahead in the next hours and days.
    The National Weather Service has issued a series of warnings up and down the East Coast.
    Below, we take a geographical look at the five most politically important areas in the path of the storm:
    1. Philadelphia: This is where Democrats win elections in Pennsylvania, and it’s smack-dab in the middle of where the hurricane is supposed to make landfall. There is currently a flood warning in place for Philadelphia. The question is whether whatever happens over the next week hurts turnout in this vital area of the state. There is no early voting, so Democrats won’t be losing votes before Election Day, but they’ll need this area to come out strong on Nov. 6. If it doesn’t, that could give Republicans a better chance in a blue-leaning state (and a huge electoral vote prize).
    2. Boston: This is where Romney’s campaign headquarters is, while Obama’s HQ appears safe in Chicago. If power goes out on Romney HQ, how can it run a real campaign? (No word from Romney camp on any backup plans/whether they have backup power in place.)
    (Jim Young/Reuters)

3. Southwest Virginia: The most conservative part of this very important swing state appears primed for a sizable snowstorm. Losing power is one thing, but not being able to get to the polls s another. There are winter storm warnings in place for significant portions of southwest Virginia and blizzard warnings in place in a couple counties (along with more blizzard warnings right across the border in West Virginia). Some counties in very conservative western North Carolina are also under a winter storm warning, which could lower early vote turnout there.
    4. Western and coastal North Carolina: While western North Carolina faces a potential snowstorm, two counties in coastal North Carolina shut down their early voting operations on Monday with the hurricane approaching. If the storm hits hard enough in the western and eastern parts of the state and leaves the more urban middle parts of the state alone (Raleigh and Charlotte, for instance, are only under wind advisories), that probably hurts Republicans more. And the impact will be immediate, with in-person early voting in full swing.
    (In-person early voting doesn’t exist in New Hampshire and isn’t as big a deal in Virginia, where it requires voters to have a valid excuse. About the only other state where a big early voting shutdown could occur is Ohio.)
    5. Northern and eastern Ohio: Ohio is expected to feel the hurricane. At this point, northern and eastern Ohio are under high wind warnings, but more conservative western Ohio and southern Ohio are not. The vast majority of the counties Obama won in Ohio in 2008 were in northern and eastern Ohio, while he lost most of the territory to the south and west. It seems apparent this the storm could affect more Obama voters than Romney voters in Ohio. And again, early voting is in full swing here, so every day matters.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

The hurricane stealing the candidates' thunder

Comments (10)

(Vote Often) /chuckles

The storm is already pulling politics out of shape, changing the dynamic of the last few days before the election.
    The crowd had gathered in the open air, beneath a huge stars-and-stripes and giant white letters reading: Vote Now.
    This was to have been an important, high-energy moment on the first day of the last full week of campaigning. But the double act was robbed of its star attraction.
    The president had arrived the night before and moved the event earlier but, even so, he decided he had to return to the White House as the other big speaker, former President Bill Clinton, explained to the crowd.
    "I was supposed to be the warm-up man - but that storm had other ideas," he said.
    He said they had stayed up late planning the rally and talking but, this morning: "He called me and he said: 'I gotta go back, it's going to be worse than we thought. It's going to hit further south of where we thought,' so keep your fingers crossed for your fellow Americans today".
    The event had far less energy than if the president was here but it is proof that politics will not stop in the vital swing states away from the storm.
    Mitt Romney too has cancelled events planned for tonight and tomorrow.
    His campaign said it was "out of sensitivity for the millions of Americans in the path of Hurricane Sandy", adding "Governor Romney believes this is a time for the nation and its leaders to come together to focus on those Americans who are in harm's way".
    But there is a risk that he is shoved out of the picture.
    The media are not interested in the candidates' speeches, even if they still make them.
    But, more than that, it puts the spotlight on President Obama as a leader in a time of crisis - both in terms of deeds and words.
    This is exactly what politics, what being a president, is really all about and, in a country haunted by the spectre of Hurricane Katrina, this is a moment of huge importance for the president.
    One of great opportunity and, if he fails to rise to the occasion, of great peril.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information