Ok, watched it. As a fan of foreign movies I do think this was a great Zombie movie as it follows a different pattern than the current Hollywood template. Actually, that is why I tend to watch more foreign movies since cookie cutter pattern movies and tv are way too common.

The version I watched was subtitles as well because as catfish points out, dubs lose something in translation. I prefer literal translations from subs, than dubs that change the literal meaning. I can cite several instances where this is true.

That all said, it was great to see actual hand to hand zombie combat. Not just a fast snub, but 'hardcore' (movie line wink wink) fighting. The end scene was amazingly cool too after the survivors are out. Duty was followed despite no infrastructure and basically TSHTF.

This movie also is more to what I see occurring if such a thing really were to pass.

Glad I bumped it up on my watch list.

catfish, I am a tad curious what scene you meant that was "chalked up to being French". I suspect it was the 2nd floor teacher, turned zombie, who carried the head. If so, I agree it was a little bizarre. Not expected, which I find refreshing, but probably could have been left out of the script as it was pretty out of place for our thoughts and society here. So suggesting it be chalked to being French may be the right idea and a pass. No doubt, if Fox Searchlight domesticates it, it will be cut out.

Since I mention it, I like that Searchlight brings movies over from other countries, but they do alter titles, sometimes a lot. Still, I do note that even butchering a 3 hour movie to 1.5 hour one they do a good job with continuity and a fast watch, but that also takes from theater quality in some cases.

I will dig out a title I bought years ago that was Searchlight as I bought it here and exactly the scenario I mention above. The full movie filled in much more and even added new loops completely absent from the adapted version.